Search

Bringing wine back to Canada from California

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing wine back to Canada from California

Hello,
Can anyone tell me what the best way to bring 2-3 bottles of wine back from a California trip would be? Should they be put in my carry on luggage or checked? Are there limitations or penalties for bringing wine into Canada from the U.S.? Travelling from Edmonton to San Francisco and back.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:47 PM

Atilla, according to the website of the Canada Border Services Agency, you may bring back 1.5 litres of wine. As far as I know, most bottles of wine are 750 ml, so that means 2 bottles. If you are travelling with a companion, you could have that person carry in 2 bottles of wine as well.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...tml#P274_18115

I have heard about all sorts of schemes for carrying wine safely from one country to another. A traveller on another discussion board had a custom lining (out of styrofoam or some such material) made for his suitcase so that he could transport wine from Italy to the United States.

I myself have never travelled with wine. However, if I did, I do not believe I would feel comfortable entrusting it to my checked luggage (in case of breakage, etc.). I would carry it in my carry-on luggage. But then the airlines seem to have grown stricter about the weight limitations of both checked and carry-on luggage, so I'm not sure how that would work.

Speaking of carry-on luggage, do they count purchases from an airport's duty free store towards one's carry-on luggage? As far as I know, they don't.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:38 PM

It's no big deal as long as you do not exceed the 2 bottle limit per person. I have never tried going over so I don't know what happens if you say that you have three bottles. Hassle and expense I would expect. Carry on for sure unless you know what you are doing with respect to packing.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:38 PM

I've brought back more than 2.

Sometimes if you only declare 3 they will just let you through with it.

However, sometimes they will charge you duty and tax which is generally $10 or $15 dollar flat rate for the duty and PST/GST on the "assumed" value of the wine.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:26 PM

The Federal excise act in regards for liquor in Canada tightly integrates the jurisdiction of the provincial liquor board with Federal law.

Among other details is that your two bottles of wine technically belongs to the Alberta Liquor Commission once you cross the border.

I recall that a group of Winnipegers went to Italy and imported a few cases each back to Canada. In Italy, the wine was plonk while in Canada it was rated as a top quality brand. Each member of the group was shocked to find out that they would have to fork over $1000 to get their wine back.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies, I think I will stick with 2 bottles in my carry on to be safe.

(If they fit, might have to drink 'em before I leave if they don't)