Bringing my dog into Canada

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be taking a road trip from Annapolis into Ontario in June and would like to bring my dog with me. Does anyone know if I'll have any problems bringing her across the boarder either direction? I assume that I'll bring her shot record but is there anything else I should think of bringing? I wouldn't want to have her stuck in customs... thank you.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:04 PM

I believe you need to have a veterinary certificate re: the dogs immunization within a couple of weeks of crossing the border. Otherwise there is no restriction as far as I know. My mother takes her dog from Vancouver to Palm Springs every winter and returns with no problems so long as she has the certificate - though she only occaisionaly gets asked for it. To be on the safe side you should check with the Canadian Embassy or consulate nearest you and also with the US customs and immigration for returning requirements.
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gary for your message, I'll check with the Canadian Embassy and with US customs. Looking forward to a good trip! thanks again.
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:47 AM

My parents regularly cross back and forth across the border with their dog, without any difficulties. One year, on Christmas Day, the Canadian Customs and Immigration Officer was wearing a Santa hat and handing out dog biscuits ...
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:58 AM

You didn't mention the breed. Ontario has just put into place a ban on all pit-bull type dogs (includes Staffordshire Terriers) so if your dog falls into this category, you may not be able to bring it across the border.
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:34 AM
M2

I cross the border (Ft. Erie, Niagara Falls, Lewiston) to Ontario from Buffalo several times a year with my dog. (We walk over there a lot) I also have a cottage in northern Ontario and I take the dog with me. I have never been asked for anything other than (that's a big dog !) or is the dog yours?, but I do keep a copy of her rabie's vaccine in the glove box just in case.