Reload this Page >

Boston to Quebec and back?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Theresa

Hello to all! I am planning a two week trip in May with my husband, mother and grandmother. We have explored the coastal regions of New England in the past and are looking for some new adventure. <BR> <BR>We are interested in spending our time traveling from the Boston area through the Western region of Massachusetts, Vermont and into Quebec City. Our return hasn't been discussed yet. <BR> <BR>HELP! This is new territory for us and we aren't even sure if it is workable in the 10-12 days we've allowed. Any and all suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Bob Brown

We drove from Boston up through Vermont to Quebec City. We stopped overnight in New Hampshire before wandering through St. Johnsbury to Quebec. We spent three nights in a B and B (La Maison du Mesnil) that was more than adequate. <BR>One day we drove up to the Sageunay (sp??) bay area and Ste. Anne de Beaupre cathedral, and came back via Chicoutimi, where you better know French or have good sign language skills!! <BR>In Quebec, we visited the Plains of Abraham display, the old city, and the Chutes de Montmorency outside of the city. <BR>From there we drove all the way around the Gaspe to New Brunswick and back to Boston. We took 14 days for the trip and enjoyed it. <BR> <BR>So I think your idea is quite nice. And you will have ample time to see a lot. <BR> <BR>If you don't want to do the Gaspe as we did, you would have time for Montreal. <BR>The northern shore of the Gaspe is interesting. The southern shore somewhat less so, but still new to us. <BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Theresa

Thanks so much for the info. I'm getting excited about the prospect now!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Bob Brown

If you decide you want to see the Saguenay Fjord (bay, river, whatever) I suggest a boat trip. <BR>We tried going to the national park, but there is no real good viewpoint that I found, even after walking a good distance. I am not sure how to go about finding such a tour because I have not done it, but I am sure a travel office in Quebec, or your hotel, could offer something. <BR> <BR>Ste. Anne de Beaupre was interesting, but I did not think it to be a grand, glorious cathedral. <BR> <BR>The Plains of Abraham Battlefield is interesting. The visitor center has a multi media presentation in English and French which is worth the effort. <BR> <BR>Chutes Montmorency is beautiful. A pedestian bridge goes right over the brink of the falls. It is no place for someone who fears heights, but if you are ok with being suspended in mid air, the view is stunning. The bridge itself is quite solid. <BR> <BR>As for the Gaspe, my wife said it satisfied her curiosity. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 09:14 AM
DougD

This sounds like a fun trip. If you are driving thru Vermont to Quebec, you will want to drive up I91, one of the most beautiful interstates in the east. There are many interesting places to visit in Vermont and New Hampshire close to I91: <BR>The auto drive up Mt. Ascutney, St Gauden's estate in Cornish, NH, Billings Farm outside Woodstock Vt, the Cornish Windsor covered bridge,Dartmouth College in Hanover NH, and dozens of scenic little villages on either side of the Connecticut River. Quebec City is truly unique, a taste of France just a few hours from Vermont!

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Theresa

Thanks so much for all the helpful information. Does anyone have any suggestions on accomodations in Canada in our around Montreal and Quebec City? <BR> <BR>We would love to stay in a nice inn or farmhouse!

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Bob Brown

We stayed at a B and B called La Maison du Mesnil. Since we were there, it has moved to Isle d'Orleans, which is an island in the St. Lawrence near the old city. The owner is Renee Thibeault, (pronounced Tee bow) who speaks English. <BR>I have not seen the new location, but the web site makes it look very nice. <BR>If you try to access the web site, you may not be able to use Netscape. I tried it and my computer hung up, but the Microsoft Internet Explorer product worked fine. If you want to take a look, here is the site address: <BR> <BR>http://www.quebecweb.com/BandBMesnil...ml#FORFAIT%203 <BR> <BR>We also ate in a restaurant named Louis Hebert. It is very near the visitor center just outside of the walls to the old city close to the fort. There is a short stretch along that street, the name of which escapes me, that has several restaurants and hotels When we were there I was intrigued by a local custom. A bilingual representative for each of the various restaurants stands on the walkway to answer questions, but the code of conduct prohibits them from accosting people. So they just stand there waiting for someone to ask them something. I think some of them fudge a little, as is human nature. <BR>But for the majority of the time, the ones I observed did not speak unless spoken to.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 08:40 AM
dougd

In Quebec city or Montreal, I would highly recommend staying in the heart of the city, not on the outskirts. You will have plenty of opportunities for farm stays in Vermont! Location is important to me when staying in a city. In Quebec City there are several quaint, inexpensive b&bs right in the old city, especially on Rue St. Ursaline (sp?). Montreal is much bigger and more cosmopolitan, the nicest area I've found for b&b's is the Square St. Louis neighborhood. There are several b&b agencys in Montreal. Do write away for the govenment supplied guide books for both cities, they are excellent!

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Nancy

For accomodations - it depends what you are looking for. <BR>Last time I stayed in Quebec City, we stayed at small inn in the Lower City. I had wanted to stay at the Chateau Frontenac but they were sold out. We went to the Chateau one night for drinks and I'm glad we stayed at the inn. The Chateau was full of people - you couldn't move in the lobby. The inn was much more charming. <BR> There is a Relais & Chateaux property just west of Quebec City - it looks beautiful and the price is right with the Cdn dollar not doing so well. It is too far away to be convenient to explore Quebec City, but might be worth looking into as a side trip. I've been dying to go there. One of these days. <BR> Also, Montreal is pretty close to Quebec City - about a three hour drive. Lots to see and do there as well.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Bob Brown

I can understand the appeal of staying in the "old city", but in some respects, I find that sort of thing to be a tourist attraction and not representative of how people in the city live and work in today's world. Yes, the old walls, and old shops are quaint, charming, delightful, etc. But by staying in the B and B we met business people, who fortunately spoke English, and we talked with the owner, who spoke English also. We learned a great deal about the views of the opposing sides in the Quebec separatist movement, the problems with the local economy, and we learned what the people we spoke with did for a living. All of these things would have been unavailable had we stayed in a tourist cocoon. <BR>True, we entered the cocoon, enjoyed the ambience of the old walls of Quebec, but we also were able to exit so we could obtain a taste of the modern city. <BR>At least we got as much of a taste of the city as our highly limited French permitted. <BR> <BR>So I think there are arguments on both sides of the visitiation picture.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Theresa

You guys are great! Thanks,Bob, for all the explicit details. Since we know zilch when it comes to French will that pose a problem in Quebec?

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Bob Brown

Does not knowing French pose a problem in Quebec?? I guess that is how you define a problem. Let me say that my knowledge of the French language is very, very limited. I carried a phrase book, but I have one word of advice to all publishers of phrase books: Test your %%$^ in real life before you foist it off on a trusting public!!! <BR>I took along a Fench phrase book, but guess what? Most of what you need is not in there, most of what is in there is not appropriate, and you cannot understand the answer even if you do find a sentence that half way fits the situation. <BR> <BR>In the city of Quebec, around the tourist areas, there was not much of a problem with the language. The staff in the Quebec tourist office was bilingual and quite helpful. Menus in the restaurants where we ate were in English. At the National Parks we visited, the wardens were required to be bilingual. But out in the provinces, I felt a little like the lone ranger. Some English is spoken along the Gaspe, particularly the south shore, because several of the villages were founded by loyalists and some English still exists there in small pockets. <BR>Several times I had to be inventive with sign language and a few words of French. <BR>Once we wanted some ice for our ice chest. Naturally that word was not in the good ole Berlitz phrase book. Suddenly, I had a flash of semi intelligence. We had purchased a bag of ice just after we crossed the border, and that it was a bilingual bag. So I ran out to the car, got this dripping bag of cold water out of the ice chest, held it up, and found the corresponding French word to ice. Glace. Works wonders!! <BR>In Quebec City, we stayed at a B and B where the owner spoke English. Her husband smiled in English and shook hands the same way. On the Gaspe, at the Beau Rivage Motel in Ste. Anne du Mont, the people at the desk spoke enough English for us to get our room and pay the bill. (They all understand Visa cards!!!!) Everybody was most cheerful, but I knew instantly that we were not going to have a deep philosophical conversation about the advantages of a nationalized medical system. On the south shore, around New Carlisle and New Richmond, some English was spoken, but it depended on where you were. <BR>My general finding in Montreal has been that more of the people speak some English, particularly when compared with the heart of the province. But it often depends on where you are. <BR>So it can either be a challenge or a problem; all depends on how you look at it. One thing I learned, however, is that my wife could get them to understand more English than I could!! <BR>But we find that to be true all over. <BR>She even got a stone faced Austrian policeman to understand her, and to answer!! <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Theresa

Thanks again, Bob, for such great info. We have secured a reservation at the b&b you suggested, A La Maison du Mesnil on the Isle d'Orleans. The rate is great and you are right; the website does show it to be quite nice. I truly hope we enjoy staying on the island as opposed to the city. We are there for three nights and then move on to Montreal for two nights at the Las Passants de Sans Soucy. I figured we will get a taste of staying in the city there. <BR> <BR>We've reversed our trip to leave from Manchester NH, through NH, Quebec City, Montreal, then five nights in Vermont. <BR> <BR>Thanks to everyone who suggested itineraries and inns. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions on places to dine in Quebec or Montreal? Also, what is the general dress code in these cities? In the past we've toured along the coast which has been very casual. However, the two inns we have chosen for Vermont serve a candlelight dinner, therefore we will be bringing along dress clothes. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Bob Brown

Tell Renee that Bob and Pat from Athens Georgia say hello. She might remember us. But it has been a while, and she deals with many, many different people. <BR>We did nothing while we were there to cause a disturbance!! <BR>She serves a good breakfast, one that is in the same league as the Gasthotel Zur goldenen Ente in Salzburg and <BR>Der Altwienerhof in Vienna.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Theresa

I certainly will, Bob! Wow, I can hardly wait for breakfast now!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Bob Brown

I hope she has continued to serve the same good breakfast. But things do change!! Let me know, please. <BR>I have suggested the place before, but never got any feedback. <BR>Also, if you are not bothered by heights, that view of Chutes Montmorency from the bridge above the falls is most <BR>thrilling. I stood there for a long time just staring down at the spectacle. <BR>The water volume is not as great as that of Niagra by a large percentage, but the free fall is considerably greater. <BR>If you are tempted to walk down the stairs to some of the belvederes, remember you will need to walk back up those same steps!! <BR>So keep within your limits there!! <BR>The temptation is great because going down is so easy!! <BR>The cathedral of Ste. Anne de Beaupre is interesting, but it is not world class, in my estimation. I think you must approach it for what it represents and the person whom it venerates.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 08:50 AM
karen

You don't say where you plan to spend time in Vermont on your way back from Montreal - but here are a couple of suggestions for things to see. Just south of Burlington, in Shelburne are two wonderful places: Shelburne Farms and the Shelburne Museum. They are two distinct, different places, so don't mix them up; I'm sure they have websites. The "Farms" is an amazing property on the shore of Lake Champlain - a restored grand estate from early in the 20th century. The tours of the grounds are wonderful and one can hike, etc. There's a restaurant on the property in the old house and the shingle-style barn is magnificent - their own cheese is available. The "Museum" is acres and acres of varied collections in different small buildings - fine art, folk art, trains (real), carriages, and the old "Ticonderoga" paddlewheel boat that once sailed on Lake Champlain. <BR>A nice route from Montreal is south on 87 (about an hour) almost to Plattsburgh NY, then the ferry across Champlain to VT north of Burlington.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 10:48 AM
Theresa

Thanks for the great details, Karen. I have made reservations for two nights at the Rabbitt Hill Inn near St. Johnsbury and three nights at the Windham Hill Inn in West Townshend. We haven't made many plans for exploring yet so your suggestions will come in handy. I love the idea of ferrying across the lake....that would be awesome. We hope to explore the countryside and locate some of the fine covered bridges in the area. <BR> <BR>Keep the suggestions coming!

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Sue

Nancy, what was the name of the inn you stayed at? I am interested in staying in the old city, but we're hoping to find something cheaper than Chateau Frontenac, especially because we're traveling with money-conscious friends.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Nancy

Hi Sue, <BR> It was three years ago and I can't recall the name. Anyway, try this link - it's a listing of some smaller hotels and inns in Quebec City. I think the place we stayed at is called The Clos de Saint Louis. The inn was very nice - we had a very charming room with a rather large bath. <BR> <BR>www.quebecweb.com/oignons/quebec/introang.html