Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Western Hotel Europa - Downtown Montreal

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:45 AM
liz

I booked the Hotel Europa for a long weekend in September because it seemed like a great deal and a good location. Then, just yesterday, I saw that it had a few bad reviews on http://english.montrealplus.ca/. Has anyone stayed at this hotel and would you recommend it?
I am going with two other people, and we are all 25 and don't want anything too expensive, but also something that is decent and safe.
Thanks for the help!
liz

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Louis

Never stayed there, but I can tell you that it is a good & safe area downtown. Close to everything. This hotel is not your $400/night boutique hotel and is used a lot by tour groups. This is why some people don't like it.

If you want to save some $, it's a good choice.

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Louis

P.s. Forgot to mention that you might want to check the Novotel on de la Montagne. It's in the same area and its nicer. It could only be a bit more expensive.

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Vince

My wife and I (upper 20's) stayed there last July for 2 nights. Its a very nice and clean budget accomodation, in the middle of all attractions. Decent breakfast. As Louis said, very popular with tour groups from the US. The only slight drawback (and this may or may not apply to you) is that the hotel does not have its own parking garage. You have to park right behind the hotel on a nearby parking lot which is open and unprotected at night. I would stay there again. Enjoy.

Jul 18th, 2002, 05:59 AM
liz

Thanks for the helpful information! I will most likely keep my reservations. What about the Maritime Plaza Hotel? It is in the same area, and it has its own indoor garage, which would be a plus...Thanks again.
liz

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Louis

The Europa is newer & nicer than the Maritime.

The Maritime is often trashed by drunk out-of-town students during Spring Break.