Bear Hill Lodge vs. Pine Bungalows in Jasper

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at either/both of these places? Can't decide which one is best. Any help is greatly appreciated. We will be there the end of July. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Couldn't figure out where Bear Hill Lodge was until I took a look at their website - they must be under fairly new ownership because this is a new name. We stayed there years ago when it was called Bonhomme Bungalows - and as I remember, it was OK (meaning it wasn't either really good or terribly bad, just mediocre, but then - I like posh ). It's probably been renovated since then.
Have never stayed at Pine Bungalows but a family member has - they are OK too.
Bear Hill is right in town within walking distance of everything; Pine Bungalows is just outside of the town across the highway (and on the Athabasca River) - although you could walk into town, it means crossing the highway and walking at the side of the road.
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:39 PM

I really liked Pine Bungalows - very peaceful, but just a short drive from town. Elk and deer were right outside our cabin. We reserved early for a riverside one. Very clean and comfortable.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:10 AM

I like the Pine Bungalows. Try to get a river front cabin. Pine Bungalows require a minimum stay for the more popular cabins. Jasper accommodations can be very noisy, if they are located close to the train-station. That' why we also prefere Pine Bungalows.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:58 PM

Bear Hill Lodge is right in the town of Jasper. The actual cabins are nice, much the same as Pine Bungalows. I don't think the ownership changed there. An other nice bungalow accomodation along the river is Alpine Village.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

I know that Bear Hill is in Jasper Townsite. They say it is quiet and within walking distance to town. Can you comment a little about this? Is it truly at a quiet end of town, and how far is the walk into town? Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 01:40 AM

Jasper is a small village. Bear hill lodge is located at a road with less car traffic.

My problem is, that the train traffic will generate a lot of noice during nights, as container train frequently pass through Jasper during the nights and bear hill lodge is not that far away from the railway.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 09:01 AM
sockboy

I have stayed a couple of times at the Bear Hill Lodge - one of the most reasonably priced places in town. It is at the east end of town and is quiet. It is actually a bit of a walk from the centre of town (and the train station) - 15mins? Longer than I would have thought. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. If you have any interest in walking into town, I would stay there instead of Pine Bungalows. If you will have a car and plan on driving everywhere, it really doesn't matter.

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 09:04 AM
sockboy

I forgot to comment on train noise. Jasper is small, and Pine bungalows not far out of town. You could hear train noise from either location if it were load enough. But both are far enough away to not be able to hear "regular" train noise. I wouldn't make this your determining factor.

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sockboy, I was getting a little nervous about the train noise, I hadn't thought about that. Everything I had read said it was quiet. I would love to stay on the river, but we will have our parents with us and I know the walk into town would be a good thing. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Hi,
I stayed at Pine Bungalows last week for 3 days.
It's location is good. Convient to go around Jasper. For 3 days I haven't experienced any problem with train.
But I want to stay in town next time.PB is just the place for sleep. Every time when you need something, you have to drive to town. And most bothering things are decades old blankets and kettle and pans.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 11:49 AM

Try Patricia Lake Bunglaows 10 minutes out of town. On lake they provide canoes and kayaks for rent and have a hiking trail around lake. Quiet and well kept the cabins are spacious and have kitchens. A lovely alternative to town stays.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:01 AM

We also stayed in Pine Bungalows for 5 days, last week. We stayed in a riverfront cabin and saw elk walking by and had a squirrel in our roof! The bungalows are homely rather than luxurious but we found them very comfortable, clean and peaceful. It took a couple of minutes to drive into town - it was showery, so we didn't try the walk, though I imagine it would take 20 to 30 minutes. We enjoyed our stay there.