Search

Bear encounter worries....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bear encounter worries....

Hi everyone,
My husband and I will be vacationing in the Rockies and then will head to Vancouver. We arrive in Calgary this Saturday. We will be vacationing in Alberta and BC for 2 weeks. I've been planning this vacation for months and have been very excited. But I've suddenly became extremely worried about possible bear encounters. I had planned on going on lots of long hikes but now I may change our plans some. I've read news reports about several recent bear attacks including the 36 year old lady who was tragically killed this week by a grizzly while on a popular trail near Canmore. Does anymore have any suggestions or helpful words of advice? I know I may be over-reacting but I am really nervous now about hiking at all.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:40 AM

If you scroll down this topic was addressed just the other day regarding the bear encounters and words of wisdom supplied. Happy trip!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Really, you might just as well worry about getting hit by lightning in an area noted for thunder storms. If you go out in the woods you're bound to come accross some wildlife but rest assured they don't want to bump into you enen less than you them unless their rabid or something and I havn't heard of that in a long time.

The most dangerous animals are those perceiving a threat to themselves or, much worse, to their cubs. I believe the best defense is to stay on the beaten path and be noisy. I don't mean screaming but there should be enough sound of your movements to alert other animals that you are in the vicinity. Of course this will also rob you of the joy of coming accross wildlife you might want to meet like deers or moose.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I hike those mountains almost every year, at least since 1990.
I have yet to see a bear in that area while I was on the trail.

Some of the trails in the Lake Louise - Moraine Lake area have signs posted requiring you to join with other people before starting off. I find those to be awkward because people don't want to stay together and that violates the whole basis for the requirement.

Let me suggest that you stick to the more popular trails and avoid those trails that lead through known bear habitat. Those trails are usually marked.

I can suggest several long hikes that are not in known bear country. For example, the Plain of Six Glaciers from Lake Louise, the Iceline Trail in Yoho, the Johnston Canyon Trail in Banff NP, the Floe Lake Trail in Kooteney, and so on.

Check with the wardens. They are a center for bear activity information.

Some people carry pepper spray. Some say to make noise. Some say that if you see a bear, slowly back away. I have only run into a bear twice. Once, I backed away slowly and the bear was too busy eating to pay me much attention. (In Glacier US.) The other time, I was young and ran like heck. Fortunately the bear did not chase me.

Keep in mind that bears out there go where they please, and they can turn up in any location. There is a chance!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 01:02 AM

Hike in large groups (more than 6 people). Bear attack to large groups were never reported.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:59 AM

At the moment I'd be more concerned about being washed away.