Search

Barrie, Ontario

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Jo

Barrie, Ontario

I am considering a week long stay in Barrie, Ontario. Possibly Thanksgiving week this year or possibly next summer. Which time would be best? I would be staying in a condo the entire week. When is ski season? I am not interested in gambling or night life. I am interested in family oriented entertainment, history, nature and good food. Would a day trip to Niagra Falls be a possibility, or is it too far? Is there anything teenagers would enjoy? Thanks Jo

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Susan

Why on earth would you go to Barrie for a week??? Thanksgiving weekend in Canada or US? Ski season begins in January.There is no 'family oriented entertainment' in Barrie, nothing of historical interest, no 'good food' or 'nature'. Again: Why Barrie??? Go South to Toronto or north to Muskoka for your week.

Old May 10th, 2002, 02:40 AM
chris

Canada's Wonderland is great for a day. website www.canadas-wonderland.com.<BR>Barrie is going toward cottage country, you might want to look for some provincial parks, etc. <BR>Ski season doesn't start till Christmas, although last year the weather was so warm many resorts didn't open till January.<BR>You're close enough to Toronto to do all kinds of things there - just depends on what interests you and your family.<BR>Are you staying right in Barrie or getting some fantastic deal - it really isn't considered a tourist attraction, everything will be a drive, except Wonderland.

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Barb

Hi Jo,<BR>Not to slam Barrie but, there really isn't much to see or do there specifically. If you are intent on staying there though or near there, check out Collingwood and area - the Blue Mountains (which are really just big hills but hey, we take what we can get!) offer great hiking on the Bruce Trail, bike trails and beautiful scenery, especially around Thanksgiving, provided you are referring to the Canadian Thanksgiving. Not too far from Barrie or Collingwood are Midland and Penetaguishene - some historical places to visit there and also very scenic. These places are an easy drive from Barrie - Niagara would be a grind. Good luck in your planning!

Old May 11th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Brian Kilgore

Barrie has an opera company -- my daughter is singing for it at the end of May -- and a nice art gallery, which I was in on Wednesday for a news conference about the opera. And there's some low-end professional amateur theatre.<BR><BR>But, I think, that's about it for capital C type Culture. In the summer there's a nice beach. In the winter you can drive to ski resorts but don't think you'll find "real" snow before December, and artificial in early November.<BR><BR>It's about an hour from Barrie to Toronto by car and another hour and a half to Niagara Falls, so yes, you can do the round trip in a day and still have lots of time in Niagara.<BR><BR>Barrie has a fair range of middle class stores, for whatever interest that may have.<BR><BR>One good quality of Barrie is that you are on your way to other vacation areas, and can do one-day interesting trips.<BR><BR>Summer is much better for this than the Thanksgiving time, whether its Canadian Thanksgiving or the US version. You could, in the summer, drive to Gravenhurst and take a steamboat tour on the Muskoka lakes, or go further, up to Parry Sound, and take a boat tour on Georgian Bay. Penetang and Midland have already been mentioned: good historical Ontario pioneer stuff there.<BR><BR>A couple of nearby towns -- Creemore and Cookstown --have interesting antique, curio and craft shops.<BR><BR>It's not all that bad, and I'm guessing you've got a deal on the condo in Barrie. If you have a real choice, pick somewhere esle, but if Barrie is where the accomodation is, you'll still have a good time.<BR><BR>Spend at least a day in Toronto. If you've got kids, the Elmbvvale Zoo is not a bad place. I'm taking my daughter to Barrie for a rehersal in a week, and my wife, her little brother and I will go to the zoo while she sings. We are not feeling hard done by killing a day in this way.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:53 PM
margo

Barrie at Thanksgiving:<BR> I agree with the other responses...who would want to spent a long time in Barrie? (you must be visiting relatives). If not and you plan on a trip to Niagara, it would be better to stay there for your holiday. Thnksgiving is in Oct in Canada and the weather can be balmy or even cool (so bring a jacket). Hotels in Niagara Falls are cheaper then as well because it if not prime time. Lots to do with teenagers there as well. Our winters are just like themid western USA ...no snow till Dec Jan.