Toronto, Winnipeg, Niagara Falls?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to graduation mid May 2010 in Grand Forks, ND and want to maybe fly in to Toronto or Buffalo or ? a week before and see the sights. Is the distance too far to drive in a week? We don't want to spend the whole time in the car, but does anyone have suggestions on what to see in the area? We've never been to this part of Canada or Great Lakes. We've been to South Dakota, Illinois, Michigan.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Grand Forks is NOWHERE NEAR Toronto or Buffalo... Have a look at a map first and then decide on where you want to be...
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

We have a week or so to travel between the two
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM

Only a detour to Winnipeg I think really makes any sense. While Winnipeg is not that far from the Ontario border, jut to give you an idea, busyles, when I took the train from Toronto to Vancouver... THIRTY HOURS after leaving Toronto, we were in Winnipeg (we were on-time too)! You could cut off some hours driving sure, but that trip sure left me with a sense of how HUGE Ontario is!!!
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM

Hi busyles,

Oh I see what you mean... you're considering flying IN to Toronto (or Buffalo), renting a car and starting to drive west. So, you're considering something like spending two days in Toronto/a night in Niagara Falls and then plotting your way northward through northern Ontario toward Manitoba, with maybe a night in Winnipeg, before plodding on to Grand Forks.

Possibly do-able BUT all I can say is that I think you're looking at (at least) two LOOONNG days of driving where you'll mostly see trees, trees and more trees and little civilization (you just hit prairie an hour or so east of Winnipeg). I enjoyed it from the train as we passed over rivers, near lakes, saw pristine wilderness (this is the appeal of northern Ontario); I actually find this "Canadian Shield" region quite lovely in a remote sort of way but I was also reading my book, drinking wine in the bar car and having terrific dinners in the dining car, so didn't have that feeling of hours of sameness that has driven crazy some of my friends who have driven it and didn't enjoy it... Maybe somebody will chime in though who's done that drive and found some beautiful spots off the highway, learning ways to enjoy it and break the monotony. I'll be curious to see myself...

Post a trip report if you do decide to do the drive!

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

I do like the ideas of lots of trees and little civilization, but the train idea is appealing too. I'll check that out as well. Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM

busyles,

You're looking at one long drive from Southern Ontario out west. Having done that same trip some years ago, the first day (assuming you get as far as Wawa) is lovely stuff , especially if you do the Sault Ste. Marie-Wawa stretch of the Trans-Canada near sunset. However, Wawa to Thunder Bay is reminiscent of a Flintstones cartoon inasmuch as it almost seems as if there's a cycle of the same 12 trees over and over again.

I'm sure there's aspects to be enjoyed that I didn't allow for (I was making a bee-line to Regina) and hopefully someone better acquainted will chime in. You CAN drive in a week but whether constant driving's the best and highest use of your time is for you to decide.

HTH
K