Banff, Lake Louise area lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and another couple will be taking a motorcycle trip from California up to the Banff area. We are trying to decide where to stay between Banff, Lake Louise and Canmore. We would like to stay in a nice hotel or inn with a restaurant or within walking distance of restaurants and shops etc. We plan to take trips from the location we decide on. Any hotel suggestions would be greatly appreciated, preferably something with very comfortable rooms and views. Thanks so much
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:25 AM

http://www.creekhouse.com/
We stayed here with another couple and this place was just great. Very nice accomodations within walking distance of restaurants, shops in Canmore.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you cmcfong. The Creek House looks absolutely perfect!!!! Such a beautiful place. Could you recommend any restaurants within walking distance?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:30 PM

>>>Could you recommend any restaurants within walking distance?<<<

I have not been to the Murietta's in Canmore, but they claim it's comparable to the Murietta's in Calgary, which I like.

Judging from the map of Canmore, it looks as if The Creek House and Murietta's are in walking distance of each other.

A warning about the Murietta's in Calgary. The portions are very generous. My husband and I can share a main course between us and not feel as if we have been short changed.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:26 AM

I will defer to Judy on restaurants, she has a lot of good information. The Creek House is marvelous. We had been hiking in the backwoods for a week and it was the most amazing place to kick back in a bit of luxe. We walked to restaurants and shops with no problem. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Hello Chico,

I live in the Canadian Rockies with my husband and our two motorcycles in Field, B.C. - Yoho (15 minutes from Lake Louise) The Field/Yoho area boasts some of the most stunning scenery in the Canadian Rockies. Many people who discover what Field has to offer re: accommodations and our famous "Truffle Pigs" Cafe choose it over Banff and Lake Louise as their base for their return visits to our Canadian Rockies. Field offers a 14 room lodge and 20 self-contained private guest suites within residents homes. Banff is a 45 minute ride from here and you are on the most scenic ride in Canada within ten minutes (Icefields Parkway). Just another suggestion...for a more authentic,less commercialized Rocky mountain stay. Yoho is a "must" to see whether you overnight here or not.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your terrific help.
We did book the Creek House in Canmore for two nights and we will definitely try Murrieta's restaurant.
Karla thank you the motorcycle information. Any recommendations for a couple of fantastic day rides? Also, any suggestions for motorcycle gear for this time of the year? (early August).
Again, thank you all for your generous help.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Hi Chico!

Take the time to give this a read...My father and i are avid riders and we have made the ride between the border and Banff so many times we've lost count...
When you ride up across the border i bet you will come up through the Glacier Park crossing (also the best ride for your pleasure)at Chief Mountain Border Crossing. When you get to the first intersecting highway in Canada turn left across the bridge and be sure to check out Waterton...gorgeous place - great food and good bear watching country - afterwards continue in the same direction (west) passing through the town of Pincher Creek ( where my parents own a hotel. Let me know if you are interested ) until you get to the Crowsnest highway...head west towards the Mountains for about 20-25 minutes until just the other side of a town called Lundbreck where you turn right and head north on Highway 22...follow this highway all the way to the TransCanada Highway outside of Banff. It has to be the prettiest area to ride through as it follows along where the mountains meet the prairies for nearly 5 hours.Also has plenty of spots to stop and checkout in the towns that are dotted along the route. Hope this helps...
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I will second Karla's motion.
Yoho for me is a magnet.
And when I think Yoho, I think also of Spiral Tunnels for accommodations. It is a guest house apartment with all the comforts of home.
Very comfortable place with plenty of space.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Chico,

Dawbydo is absolutely on the mark with the Hwy 22 route. It is called "Cowboy Trail". One other suggestion...prior to making your turn North onto hwy 22, continue west for no more than 15 minutes to the town of Frank where in 1903 82 million tons of rock fell from Turtle mountain on part of the sleeping town. I believe it is the largest rock/land slide in North America(www.frankslide.com) Extremely interesting...great interpretive center there as well that is worth the visit. Re: motorcycle gear...Be prepared for anything. We have had snow on the ground in July and August (mountain passes) It doesn't last long at that time of year but can occur. The odds are that you will have good seasonal temps. By bringing your leathers and proper layers you will be good to go. I wear my jacket and a fleece neck-warmer almost all summer - here in the "Hills". I'm not sure how much time you have but there is some awesome riding in the B.C. Kootenay and Interior regions as well. Take care and have fun!

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Good call Karla!!

I can't believed i missed it!! Definetly not to be missed...
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:49 AM

If you do go into B.C for your ride you can also make your way to Banff and you will love it...
After Frank Slide you are officially in the heart of the rockies and the views at this time of year are at their peak...lush and full! Continue further into the mountains passing through Crowsnest (keep looking on the right side to see the "Crows Nest" displayed on the side of the highway - stop and take some pics.)... continue towards Fernie, along the way you will go through the town of Sparwood...home of the worlds largest truck which is good for some pics...the tires alone have to be 10' tall! After Sparwood you will come into Fernie...great place to do some shopping on the historic main street or go up to the ski hill which is open year round for lunch at the restaurant (no snow at this time of year). After Fernie travel towards Cranbrook (west on crowsnest hwy3), just as you close in on Cranbrook you will come to a hwy junction that heads north towards Kimberly (The Bavarian City...really neat)...this ride is amazing in August and it takes you all the way north to the TransCanada hwy1 where you turn east and head for Banff/Lake Louise. The ride from Frank Slide to Banff via Kimberly is about 6 - 9 hours depending on how often you stop. Also - all and any of this trip i described can be a day trip out of Banff...Just travelling the opposite direction.

And by the way...my families favorite dining in Canmore...MURIETTAS!!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your terrific input!
The rides look fantastic. We will be riding from Vancouver via The Okanagan Valley to Banff, where we will spend 4 days, and then on down to Glacier and eventually back to Chico, California. Any suggested routes would be greatly appreciated. We plan on a 2 week trip. I have printed out all your information, which I will take with me.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Chico, did you ever do a trip report on your travels?
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 03:26 PM

I need a rec for something like creekhouse that accepts children!

TIA!