Search

Banff in May?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 07:55 AM
John

Banff in May?

I'm considering honeymooning in Banff in mid- to late-May. I'm interested in information about the weather and terrain at that time. Would it be wet, muddy and/or cold? Thanks.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 08:52 AM
Bob Brown

Banff will be pleasent in mid to late may. But trails in the high country, anything above about 4,000 feet, could be snowed in until mid June. Last year was paricularly bad in that snow was heavier than normal. You might want to consider a drive up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper, and back. That is one of the most gorgeous drives in North America. I have done the parkway both ways more than one and I think May would be great because all of the mountains would be generously snow capped. <BR> <BR>The various waterfalls should be catching enough melt water to be in full operation on a warm day. There are some good ones to see, particularly Takkakaw Falls in Yoho.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 08:52 AM
Bob Brown

Banff will be pleasent in mid to late may. But trails in the high country, anything above about 4,000 feet, could be snowed in until mid June. Last year was paricularly bad in that snow was heavier than normal. You might want to consider a drive up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper, and back. That is one of the most gorgeous drives in North America. I have done the parkway both ways more than one and I think May would be great because all of the mountains would be generously snow capped. <BR> <BR>The various waterfalls should be catching enough melt water to be in full operation on a warm day. There are some good ones to see, particularly Takkakaw Falls in Yoho.

Old Oct 31st, 1999, 07:28 PM
John

John, <BR> Banff in May is great but it can snow that early in the year. Plan on taking the trip up to Jasper and bring lots of film with you.Oh yes, plan on staying overnight in Jasper, and it will be cold especially after sunset. On the other hand Calgary may be in the 80s when you arrive. <BR>

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 11:43 AM
bob

We were in Banff in late May 1999. The weather can be changable although we had perfect weather for 6 days. When the sun was shining it was really warm even in the evening but when it rained on our last day in the Banff area it was cold. Cascade Mountain at the bottom of Banff Avenue was shouded in cloud. If you go don't miss breakfast on top of Sulpher Mountain and the ride to Jasper along the Icefield Parkway. There was plenty of snow and many lakes including Lake Louise were still frozen but were a still spectacular. E mail for any further information if you are interested. We planned our holiday ourselves and it was a great success.