Reload this Page >

Need some info about 4 hotels i found on the web

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 07:59 AM
Leo

Hello, we(me, my wife and our 12 year old daughter) are planning to visit Vancouver for the first time next July/August. <BR>Can anyone give me some info about the following hotels i found on the net: <BR>1)Bosman's Hotel,1060 Howe St. <BR>2)Budget Inn-Patricia Hotel,403 Hastings St. <BR>3)Georgia House, 650 Princess Ave. <BR>4)Howard Johnson, 1176 Granvill St. <BR> <BR>Most important is that the hotel is in a safe area and it should be clean and (if possible) <BR>quiet.

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 09:36 AM
sheri doyle

Leo, I'm not familiar with any of those hotels, although I would say that Granville Street can be quite seedy in parts, as can Hastings Street (you don't say if it's East or West, but E. Hastings would probably not be a good bet). <BR> <BR>If you're on a budget, you should try the Sylvia. Planning this far ahead, you should be able to get a room for next July/August (although it's tremendously popular). The English Bay location, close to Stanley Park, is terrific, and the neighborhood is reasonably quiet and residential. <BR> <BR>Sheri Doyle <BR>Pacific Northwest Journeys

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 10:19 AM
Leo

<BR>Thanks a lot Sheri for your advice. We've been to Canada several times but we were never in the West. How come the hotels are much more expensive then in f.e. Toronto or Montreal? <BR>Do you know if there's a url for "the Sylvia"? <BR>Thx again, Leo from Holland

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 07:19 PM
Kenny

There are actually few areas in and around Vancouver where you will not feel safe. I know because I live here. However like any other big city, we have our skid row where the down and out reside. This is the area where the Budget Inn on Hastings and Georgia House on Princess. Both of these are outside of the downtown area. <BR>The 1000 and 1100 block area of Howe and Granville streets (they are parallel to each other) are towards the outer edges of downtown. That area is fine. Local Vancouverites go to the various pubs, bars, and nightclubs in the area so you will tend to run into intoxicated people and the occasionally rummy. <BR>The Sylvia is located in a good location near English Bay and Stanley Park. <BR>Or you may want to consider (if you are only interested in downtown Vancouver): <BR>- Sandman Hotel, 3-1/2 stars, 1-800-726-3626 <BR>- Days Inn Hotel, no rating but good reputation, 1-800-329-7466 <BR>- Best Western Chateau Granville, 1-800-663-0575 <BR>- Travelodge Vancouver Center, 1-800-665-2080 <BR>There's more but I just picked at random.

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 08:43 PM
April

Hello Leo, <BR> <BR>The Sylvia is an older hotel but is in a good location. It's close to Stanley Park and the beach. From there you can walk to the downtown core, and to the little ferry boats that run over to Granville Island. The price for it in the high season is listed at $85-$170 Canadian (double or triple). I can't find a website for it but you can see a picture at: <BR>http://www.ohwy.com/bc/s/sylviaho.htm <BR> <BR>The location of it and other hotels can be found on a map from: <BR>http://vancouver.discoverbc.com/Vanc.../HotelsMotels/ <BR> <BR>Prices listed in the BC accommodations guide for Kenny's suggestions are: <BR>The Sandman: about $137-$179 (double) <BR>Days Inn: $155-$175 <BR>Best Western Chateau Granville: $104-$210 <BR>Travelodge Vancouver Center: $109 <BR>

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 03:41 PM
Mame

Leo, <BR>My family and I stayed at the Sylvia Hotel in June'99 and enjoyed. My 13y.o. son enjoyed the big spacious rooms and being able to open the windows and enjoy the cool fresh air. Where we come from in Texas it is 100+ degrees and very humid. So this was a welcome change. The Sylvia is just across the street from English Bay and you can walk to Stanley Park and lots of shops and eating places close around. We also stayed at the Crowne Plaza and enjoyed the luxury and convenience there. It really just depends on how much money you want to spend. The Sylvia is a historice site and the entire building is covered with ivy. I have never seen anything like this (kind of creepy) but took beautiful pictures. There are lots and lots of reasonable hotels you can stay at especially since you are planning early. check out www.expedia.com. It shows you pictures of the hotels. Also, www.travelocity.com and excite search engine for travel. Good Luck!

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 10:27 AM
Leo

Thanx a lot guys, you've been very helpfull!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 10:10 AM
Spanky

Leo: <BR> <BR>My son spent three weeks at Bosman's Motel before he moved into his apartment on Howe Street last year. Bosman's is three blocks from Robson (the hip main shopping drag in Vancouver). It's a nice, clean motel with very reasonable prices. I would consider it being in a good area if you want to spend time downtown.

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 11:53 AM
bob

We stayed at the Sylvia Hotel on English Bay in June 1999 and like the previous replies would recommend it. Our room was spacious with a comfortable sitting area. The restaurant was good value with a nice outlook. Stanley Park is only a 5 minute walk away. We suggest that you book early as it is a popular hotel.