Banff in January?

Nov 7th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Alberto

Banff in January?

Hello,

My fiance and I were looking at honeymoon options, and we've both heard so much about Banff. We're from Texas, and the problem is that the only vacation time I will have is in January. Is Banff even a possiblity for me and her? How cold does it get? What can two honeymooners do?

Thanks,

Alberto

Nov 7th, 2001, 12:47 PM
xxx

banff is gorgeous and last winter was mild. but, normally, january is very, very cold. you may not enjoy any outdoor activities.

Nov 7th, 2001, 05:34 PM
ja

Congratulations, Alberto!
Do you and your intended ski? If so, Banff was made for you. If you don't ski, there are a few hikes that are accessible in January, but not a lot of baccountry stuff. As far as cold, the daytime temperatures in January could be anywhere from -30 Celsius (worst-case scenario) to +10 Celsius (best-case scenario), or even warmer if a rare Chinook makes itself felt before the foothills. (ie: -22 to +50 Fahrenheit). Either way, the scenery is breathtaking, and, as it's going to be your honeymoon, just being together in a gorgeous setting like Banff would be enough, eh?
ja

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:53 AM
gary

If extreme cold is really a concern but you still want a Mountain Resort type honeymoon why not try Whistler. It's the Number one resort in North america and rarely experiances the kind of extreme cold common to Banff - at least in the Village. Plus it's less than a couple of hours drive from Vancouver which has dreary wet winters but no colder than Dallas in January - actually probably less extreme because Palm trees survive the winter in Vancouver but I don't recall seeing any in Dallas.

But if cold doesn't bother you than Banff - as the above posts point out - is beautiful in Winter and likely a lot sunnier than Vancouver or Whistler. As to your final question -1.e. 'What can two honeymooners do?' - may I reccomend using your imagination among other things.

Nov 9th, 2001, 07:43 AM
John

Hi Alberto:

I can not think of a more romatic setting then the Chateau Lake Louise. It is pretty much a stand alone property....but one of the most gorgeous settings you will ever see!

JOHN

Search this Thread