Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Halifax: 7 hrs to go from airport &back -can do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Laura

I've got a 7 hr stop over at Halifax airport on Dec. 22 and wanted to see a bit of Halifax (havn't been there but am from NF). I hear the bus is the most affordable and figure I'll head downtown, any suggestions on a good route to follow? (Where to get on/off the bus and see the most in that time)Is that even enough time to go downtown?

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Brian Kilgore

Take the bus from the airport to the Sheraton hotel, which is at one end of the waterfront area, and just walk along the water from the hotel to the museum and back again, and you'll see lots of interesting things, and eat well if you get hungry.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 03:16 AM
doit

That should be plenty of time. It is about a 40 minutes from the airport to downtown. If nothing else, check out the Maritime Museum, it is very good. The Titanic exhibition is wonderful as is the story of the almost near destruction of the city in 1917 (the biggest manmade explosion prior to Hiroshima). You could even take a taxi, very cheap, to the cemetary where the Titanic passengers are buried, very tasteful and moving to read the headstones.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Rita

Laura,<BR><BR>A suggestion. If you wanted to see a bit of Nova Scotia you could rent a car and head out to Peggy's Cove. The trip will take about 1hr from the airport. The landscape out at Peggy's cove is quite amazing. After drive out to the cove you could still have enough time to drive into Halifax and have a look around. Nova Scotia is very beautiful and well worth the visit.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Tanya

Plenty of time to trip into Halifax, especially on a Saturday the traffic should be fine. It will be busy downtown with the close proximity to Christmas. Depending on the time you arrive, check out the Farmer's Market at the Brewery (about 4 blocks from the Sheraton). Great place to grab lunch and buy some last minute Christmas gifts. The Art Gallery of NS has the impressionist exhibit which is a must see. I believe it is $12/person but a once in a lifetime opportunity. There are plenty of bars in downtown Halifax and lots of places to eat as well. You should have a good 4 hours to enjoy the sights of our beautiful city!