Banff from East Coast

Search

Banff from East Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2019, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banff from East Coast

Hello...planning trip for 4 adults (ages 58-64) in mid September to Banff from East Coast. Total of 9 days. Would like help planning itinerary, hotels vs rentals, one home base or stay in the different areas, rental car, how much time is needed in each area, gentle hiking, and if its worth trying to fit in trip to Vancouver also. Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nancyjm2140 - welcome to Fodors!

Do you have a budget in mind? Prices will still be pretty high, although things are past what used to be considered peak season. And book ASAP. I can't speak to home rentals, except to say that I don't believe they are legal in Banff itself. But check out Canmore for both hotel and home; it's about 20 minutes away from the Banff park entrance.

With 7 days plus a day each way to travel, I wouldn't suggest trying to fit in Vancouver. If you do, then you'll want to plan on flying rather than spending another 1-2 days to travel there (and back, unless you fly). You could use one home base for Banff and Lake Louise plus surrounding area, and easily spend your week there. If you would like to fit in Jasper, my suggestion is to spend at least 2 and preferably 3 nights in Jasper. The drive, up Icefields Parkway, is one of the most beautiful imaginable. Allow most of a day to drive it each way (or about 5 hours non-stop).

There are lots of gentle hiking opportunities. When you come back with some details, we can discuss those opportunities.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 05:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The East coast is a pretty broad area. Nova Scotia or North Carolina (big difference)? Were you planning on flying, driving or taking a train (or two)?
It's been decades since I've been to Banff but I do like the Jasper area. My favorite hike in the Jasper region is down through the Maligne Canyon.