Banff for 5 Days in July?

Jun 1st, 2019, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Banff for 5 Days in July?

Hi All--

My wife and I are planning on going to Alberta (Banff area) for 5 days in July. We were thinking about staying in Kananaskis Village (25 miles from Banff) as our home base. How many days does one need to be in that area and should we be looking to drive to other cities for day trips?

I've wanted to do Lake Louise for a long time. We want to hike, be outside, maybe kayak and explore that area in general. Would love your suggestions on must-sees, must-dos and must-eats. This will be our first time in that area.

I've briefly read other threads about people doing Jasper and Canmore but knowing we have 5 days, I don't know how to structure this: should Kananaskis Village be home base for the entire time with day trips OR should we move from our hotel there to Jasper for 2 nights. Or is there other places we should be thinking about?

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks,
Megan
Jun 10th, 2019, 03:46 PM

Hi Megan

Hi Megan, Kanaskis Village is beautiful. That's a great basecamp for a cheaper price then Banff itself. It really depends on what you are planning to enjoy. If you are into hiking, 5 days is fine. I wouldn't suggest traveling to any other city because there is plenty to do in Banff and around Kananaskis. Literally hundreds of hiking trails and kayaking spots. Here are my top places to hike:

1. Johnson Canyon - Get an early start since it is extremely touristy
2. Valley of the Ten Peaks - Any time of the day is fine. Would recommend during the week
3. Plain of Six Glacier - This one is in Lake Louise area which you mentioned you are going to.
4. Icefield Parkway - Another great hike

These are my top 4. With 5 days and hiking, I'm not sure you will be able to fit anymore. I would also recommend spending one day in Banff itself. It's beautiful there.