Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help me refine my Canadian Rockies Itinerary

Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

I should be tending to elf business but distracting myself with Travel! Back to Banff planning. My big issues is: Do I base in Banff for my 3 days ahead of backcountry lodge hike? I think I shouldn't miss the icefield parkway but don't love the idea of driving up and back in one day but I don't love the idea of 1-night, 1-night, 1-night sort of situation either. This is all the end of July and I have the sense I should finalize lodging pronto. Could do camping too.

Day 1: Fly into Calgary - 6am departure from ATL arrive 12:30 pm - Drive to?

Day 2: Stay?

Day 3 Stay? - Feel like we should stay close-ish to where we will start our hike the next day. Or at least not drive 3 hours before hiking but this is a bit of a complication.

Day 4: Hike 9 miles into Shadow Lake Lodge (YAY) - Trailhead is 10 miles WEST of Banff

Day 5: Stay at Shadow

Day 6: Hike out of backcountry lodge - Drive to Calgary to stay at a hotel near the airport for 9am flight home (OR stay in Banff and leave the hotel at 5am to drive 1.5 hours to Calgary)

The backcountry lodge is fixed. I tried getting different dates but it's super sold out and these are the days of holiday I have to play with.

Thanks for pondering with me.
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Would basing in YOHO for 3 days be a way to stay in one place but travel to all?
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 12:47 PM

You don't have much time aside from your lodge days. (Do they have secure parking at the trailhead?) Look at Canmore for lodging. I don't think you have time for the parkway. Research shuttles in the Canmore Banff area because parking is difficult.
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

So if I don't do Parkway - My first 3 days based in Banff/Canmore seeing Lake louise and hikig around Banff?

While I'd love to see Banff I'm concerned about too many crowds and hub-ub and looking for other ideas for lodging.

Considering camping but would be harder to bring all the gear. And sometimes camping can feel more crowded!!!
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 01:36 PM

There is a NEW HI hostel on Sleepy Hollow Road on the outskirts of Jasper. I used to stay at the old one near the Jasper Sky Tram at the north end of the Parkway.
I enjoyed a hike down the Maligne Canyon. My wife drove me to the top and then parked at the bottom and hiked up to meet me.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 04:31 PM

The Icefields Parkway is an amazing drive (in both directions) and can easily be done in one day even with taking time to stop and enjoy sites/views along the way (as long as you don't want to do a long hike in the middle of it). So, if you're concerned about having to stay a night in Jasper to do this, you shouldn't be. As to where to base yourself for the non-lodge days, it really depends on what else you'd like to see/do. Are you interested in doing more hiking during those days? If not, what types of activities are you interested in?

I would recommend heading back to Calgary on day 6 since you have such a morning flight.