Banff - first time trip March or May

Old Dec 11th, 2019, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Banff - first time trip March or May

Well, Instagram has me very hooked on Banff. While we both can ski, it's been more than a minute since either of us have and so we aren't focused on skiing. We would be interested in something like snowshoeing and maybe dog sledding etc...to be in the snow.

I believe there are some scenic areas that would only be accessible in much warmer weather (Lake Morraine, maybe).

We are both athletic and in good shape. I am thinking about going in March or possibly May but I don't know a lot about the area. We will want to admire the scenery and I am kind of thinking that maybe the first trip should be when it is snowy. We may want some spa time and the rest will be about food, wine and local beers. If we did go during ski season, we would ski but it would not be the primary activity.

Interested in your feedback.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 11:24 AM

All of the Canadian Rockies are beautiful. I has been decades since I was in Banff. I have been to Jasper several times in the past 15 years. My arrivals in Jasper have been on the ViaRail on the Canadian. How were you planning on getting to the area? There is a good tour bus service (Brewster) that serves the Calgary airport and the Jasper train station. There are several rental car agencies within walking distance of the Jasper train station.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

We will fly into Calgary and from there... I am not sure. We will stay at the Fairmont and if we don't need a car, that's great.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sexper1939 View Post
I would say lot of options are available near the Dublin where you can
I appreciate the response but not sure I understand what you mean.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 09:50 PM

May is considered shoulder season in the mountains. Generally there's not enough snow for cross country skiing or snowshoeing, but too much (and too much mud) for hiking. Also, trails may be closed due to bear activity as they emerge from hibernation and are feeding at lower elevations before going higher later in the spring. Depending on the year/weather, even late March can be problematic, especially at lower elevations.

The road to Moraine Lake is closed in winter/early spring due to avalanche risk. It's groomed as a cross country ski trail for the first 8-10 kms until you hit the avalanche barricade. Details on closures for Banff can be found here: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...tures-closures

Last edited by ShelliDawn; Dec 29th, 2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ShelliDawn. Very useful info as it relates to timing for a trip and I appreciate the closures link.