Search

Banff

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 06:55 AM
eve

Banff

We are planning a trip to Banff for August 2000. Any information about Bed and Breakfasts, day hikes, outdoor activities, restaurants, nice hotels, night life?

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 03:32 PM
Brad

I lived in Banff for two years and was a bellman at the Banff Springs for over a year. Top hotels in Banff are the Banff Springs and the Rimrock. Banff Springs is a fifteen to twenty minute walk from downtown. It is best to take a shuttle downtown from the Rimrock as walking would take about one hour. Shuttles are also available at the Springs at a cost of one dollar. Nice hotels right downtown include the Mount Royal, Brewster Moutain Lodge and Banff Park Lodge. The best three star hotels are about a five minute walk from downtown and include Banff Avenue Inn, Irwins Moutain Inn and Banff International. Fine Dining include the Rob Roy at the Springs and Le Beaujolais downtown. However, I would recommend you check out the Buffalo Moutain Lodge dining room. It is a five minute drive from downtown (up Tunnel Mountain). Also, nice is Giorgios(Italian), Grizzly House(Fondue, quite expensive)and Coyotes... For lunch try Rose and Crown and Tommy's (bars turned into restaurants in the day). Two main nightclubs exist is Banff they are Outabounds and Aurora, Outabounds is very casual and attracts a younger crowd (19-22), while Aurora has a stricter dress code and I believe only allow people over 21. These bars do not get busy until late at night say 11 or 12...Try Rose, Tommys or Barbary Coast for earlier action. Barbary Coast has great original bands. Summer activities include fishing, white water rafting, hiking,horseback riding, golfing and biking. Hotels such as the springs have a concierge who can answer any questions and can set up any activities. They also have day hiking excursions with experienced guides run through the hotel. If your hotel does not have a concierge try Adventures Unlimited, to book any activity... Nice hikes you can do on your own include tunnel mountain, sulpher mountain and Johnstons Canyon. <BR>Expect to see elk right in the town and crossing in front of your car, as well as bears and big horn sheep in areas such as Lake Minnewanka and Kananaskis.....Finally, drive to Lake Louise one day and see the Chateau Lake Louise it is about 45 minutes away and is owned by the same company as the Banff Springs....If time permits drive to Jasper, on the way is the Columbia Ice fields, it is about a three hour drive each way but, is argueably the most beautiful drive in North America <BR>have fun <BR>Brad

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 04:24 AM
bob brown

My take on Banff is most unlike Brad's. <BR>Afterall, he was there everyday for a long period of time, whereas I have "just passed through" as a tourist. <BR> <BR>Let me make two suggestions that might help you a little. For hikes, get a copy of The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson. <BR>You can find it at the Adventurous Traveler Bookstore on the Web. It is the best book of its kind that I have seen. There are so many hikes and walks in the vicinity of Banff that I could not begin to describe them all. However, one I think you would like is called the Plain of Six Glaciers trail. It starts in front of Chateau <BR>Lake Louise and goes along the northern shore of the lake all the way to the mountain wall that forms the backdrop for the lake. The trail is most scenic and relatively flat as trails in the mountains go. There are several extensions that can be added to the basic hike, which is about 6.5 - 7 miles round trip. There is a tea house near the end of the trail if you want to have a snack before heading back. <BR>For a list of Bed and Breakfast establishment in Alberta, call Travel Alberta toll-free at 1-800-661-8888 <BR>and ask the helpful people there for a road map of Alberta (a very good free map) and a copy of the Accommodation Guide for Alberta. It is a handy booklet to have. It lists all types of accommodations including standard motels, hotels, b and b's, guest ranches, and guide services. <BR> <BR>I definitely agree with Brad that the drive to Jasper along the Icefields Parkway is a beautiful trip. I recommend it to anyone who asks me about that part of Canada. <BR> <BR>But, if you are interested in hiking, you will be well informed if you have the book by Patton and Robinson. It gives precise trail measurements and excellent trail descriptions. <BR> <BR>Good Luck and good hiking.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 05:18 PM
john

just so you know, the Chateau Lake Louise is not in Banff... <BR>It is actually, a 45 minute drive from Banff in the town of Lake Louise....

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 03:20 PM
Kim

Just so you know, we called the Banff Springs to stay there for a few days in July for our honeymoon and they only had package deals. I heard from another person that Lake Louise Chateau told her the same thing. (About $900 a night) This really turned us off that we could not get just a room. We didn't want to do all the things they were offering since we like to do hikes and stuff on our own. Just an FYI. If you hear different, let us know!

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 03:15 PM
Jennifer

Package deals at the Banff Springs run anywhere between 350 and 1500, packages do not start at 900 dollars. As well packages usually, derive there excess cost from fine dining and other meals..and activities such as hiking are optional.Also, the Banff Springs is not Banff do not let its potentially high prices turn you off Banff....There are many more hotels in the town that are very high in quality and offer a great place to stay.

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 12:25 PM
greg

While the original posting did not ask specifically for the Banff Springs Hotel, our experience of trying to stay at Banff Springs (or Chateau Lake Louise, Jasper Parklodge) was similar to Kim's. As mere mortal independent travellers, we had to book each hotel on the day they allowed independent guests to reserve - 365 days ahead! Once we get there we knew why it was difficult to make an individual reservation - the hallways were filled with tour group luggages in the mornings. By booking 365 days in advance we did get the rooms we wanted.

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 11:00 PM
Kim

We are still staying in Banff (Douglas Fir Resort). At first we thought the people at the Springs said it was $900 becuase we asked if they had anything special for a honeymoon but when we told them we just wanted a room she said the cheapest thing they had was the deal. Jennifer, do you know when they offer the cheaper deals or what we can ask for? Greg-is it only for that one day a year ahead that you can just get a room? We were really looking forward to staying there. It was going to be our splurge (We are travelling Edmonton, rockies, Calgary and back)

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 01:42 AM
greg

Kim, <BR>Let me clarify what I mean. By the way we ended up staying at Douglas Fir Resort the first time because we couldn't get reservation at Banff Springs Hotel. <BR> <BR>First time we went to the Canadian Rockies, we didn't know just how popular the CP hotels were in the summer (July.) We started looking for place in November for the July stay (8 month ahead.) No rooms were available, so we stayed at the Douglas Fir Resort. The second time, we really wanted to stay at the CP hotels, so we found out they open the book for reservation a year in advance. No, it was not the only day you can make a reservation. It appears between 12 month ahead and 8 month ahead, the rooms get all booked up for the peak season. <BR> <BR>Having stayed at 3 CP hotels, Jasper Parklodge, Chateau Lake Louise and Banff Springs Hotel, we liked the Chateau the most. Since we booked so paranoiacally early, we got a large end room facing the Lake Louise. (Nearly all other lake side room on our floor were taken by Tauck Tours.) Watching the moon race over the snowcapped mountain peaks at night from our room was an Ansel Adamish experience. <BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 01:17 PM
Judy Matthews

Try the Post Hotel in the Village of Lake Louise. It's fabulous We've stayed there three times, have falled in love with it. We are getting married there in May and bringing friends with us. <BR> <BR>See www.posthotel.com

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 06:26 PM
Susan Hartley

We had some inital difficulty booking just the room at Banff Springs last June..but had success through American Airlines Vacations, where you could purchase just the room without the meals and activities included. Admittedly, it was a splurge...but the view of the elk on the golf course and the waterfall just beyond were amazing! We liked staying there very much, although there were a lot of tour group members.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 11:53 AM
Randy

If you find Banff and The Banff springs hotel a little to rich for your blood, stay just outside the park gat in Canmore. Use yahoo and get to the Alberta Bed and Breakfast site. There a dozen or so B&Bs in canmore and surrounding area. We stayed a tone last year and just loved it. (try$100 cdn for two with breakfast) I live in Edmonton but visit the park regular and would not think of staying in Banff. Also try Kaninaskis and book the golf course (now for a mid-summer tee time). Banff has become a regular spot for Japanese and Hong Kong tourists so the prices have been driven up. For a good lunch or dinner in the Banff townsite try the Magpie and Stump, right downtown. Mexican fare, great price. If you go to Canmore, Don't eat on the highway, go into the downtown area and eat at any of the local eateries.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 12:13 PM
Randy

Try this site. www.bbalberta.com. <BR>Then try Banff or canmore. Canmore has 46 bed & breakfasts listed. If you like mountain biking, go to the Canmore nordic center and there is a back country trail that will take you to the Banff springs golf course, along the bow river. I cycled this a few years ago. Very enjoyable. Hope this helps.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 06:35 PM
judy

Have you thought of the Kananaskis Hotel? We've stayed there numerous times - more secluded & more beautiful than Banff. (20 min. drive from Banff) Beautiful area for hiking, golfing and beautiful hotel with restaurants.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 12:43 PM
elizabeth

Some Banff restaurant suggestions......