auto/ferry Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three adults wanting to see what we can of Victoria and Vancouver leaving from Settle for three days. What do you recommend? Drive to Vancouver and then passenger ferry to Victoria and back to Vancouver, or auto ferry Seattle to Victoria and then to Vancouver? Would it be convenient to have car in Victoria for one day/night or a hassle? Also interested in recommendations for nice/3-4 star hotels and good restaurants.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM

There's no passenger ferry between Victoria and Vancouver--only a bus that you can take on the ferry that will also transport you between the cities and the ferry terminal on each end. But it's a good 3-4 hour trip each way.

I'd suggest either a circle trip with a car--first to Vancouver, then ferry to Victoria, then ferry to Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula west of Seattle and drive back to Seattle. Alternatively, without a car, you can take the Victoria Clipper to Victoria from Seattle, the PCL bus from Victoria to Vancouver and the Amtrak train from Vancouver to Seattle. The Victoria Clipper has packages for this trip.

My favorite hotels in Vancouver are the Sutton Place and the new Loden. In Victoria, I like the Inn at Laurel Point and the Magnolia.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 08:12 AM

there is a ferry between Tswassassan( which is just south of Vancouver) and Victoria- and it is the ferry I usually use because it has more frequent departures so if you miss one, you know another one will be leaving soon. I also think the ride is prettier than the other choices-

Whether you need a car depends on what you want to do - you can take a bus from the ferry to downtown - and spend your time walking around the harbor.

The downside of taking the Tswassassan ferry is crossing the border, which frequently has long waits
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:02 PM

In Victoria I'd Stay At the inn at Laurel Point.(request a room in the Erickson wing- much nicer, great views)
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I think the website for Inn at Laurel Point looks good, but I am a bit concerned because it is not listed in AAA or in Fodor's. Any other input?
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM

We took the in-laws there last weekend. Perfect location. We had two rooms in the Erickson wing, one with a view of the inner harbour, the other with a view to the outer harbour. We walked everywhere(except Butchart Gardens). The rooms were great. Clean , quiet, nice deck (we were on the 3rd floor). I'd stay in the erickson wing again tomorrow. Check trip advisor for reviews, but I think this is the best place to stay in Victoria if you want a place in the downtown core where you can walk to most sites.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM

sunbum1944,
Can you clarify "The downside of taking the Tswassassan ferry is crossing the border, which frequently has long waits"...how long is long?
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM

My experience as a frequent visitor to Vancouver from Seattle is that the wait going into Canada is rarely more than 30 minutes and usually less than that. But it depends greatly on the time of day, day of the week, time of year, etc. The earlier in the day, generally the shorter the wait.

This website will give you current information about border crossing wait times into Canada (scroll down to Peace Arch/Pacific Hwy):

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM

skiing155, I can't speak for the sites you mention, but I can tell you that Laurel Point is a magnificent place to stay.