Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria

I am beginning a trip to Seattle, Vancouver, and Victoria. Would it be best to fly into Seattle and travel by bus or Amtrak to Vancouver and then the ferry to Victoria? How do we get a tour of Victoria? And, what method should we get back to Seattle?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM
P_M

Just curious--is driving not an option? We took a similar trip and drove to all these places. You can take a rental car on the ferry, and we had no problems taking our rental car from Seattle into Canada.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Hello...are you suggesting that we fly into Seattle, rent a car and drive to Vancouver, ferry our car to Victoria, and drive to Seattle?
Is the driving difficult?
Would you suggest staying a night or so in Vancouver?
Do you get a good insight of Victoria in a day's time?
I know I have several questions but we have no idea of this are.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM

It's not too hard to do this itinerary without a car. You can do this as a triangle, and if you live in the US, it's most likely to be cheaper flying into SEA rather than Vancouver (YVR).

Between SEA and Vancouver, you can take a bus or AMTRAK. Your choice. Make sure if you buy a AMTRAK ticket, it's actually for their train service, as they also have a bus on this route.

Between Vancouver and Victoria, take the Pacific Coach Line bus. The bus will get on a ferry, but you don't need to mess with ferry ticket or schedule. Or take a seaplane or helicopter if you want to try that and don't mind the extra cost. www.pacificcoach.com www.harbour-air.com www.helijet.com

Between Victoria and Seattle, there's a ferry service (no vehicles onboard). www.victoriaclipper.com
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM

If you want to use a car, that's fine too. There are frequent passenger-vehicle ferries between Tsawwassen (just south of Vancouver) to Sidney (just north of Victoria). That's the same ferry which Pacific Coach Line buses use.

Between Victoria and Seattle, there's a passenger-vehicle ferry from Sidney to Anacortes, WA. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/sche...rent/index.cfm There's another ferry that goes to Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula. www.cohoferry.com
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan and also P_M
rk...I like your idea of flying into Seattle, bus to Vancouver, and ferry back. How long would you suggest in Vancouver and would you get an insight of Victoria in one day. I am watching cost so I want the most for my dollar. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:09 PM

It's not particular cheap to go to Victoria. The Pacific Coach from Vancouver is C$35 per person each way. The Victoria Clipper between Victoria and Seattle is like US$66. Slightly higher during summer season.

So, at least spend two nights in Victoria to make it worthwhile.

For specific sights about Vancouver and Victoria, and you should post this on the Canada board.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Another quick question rk...what about Seattle to Vancouver's bus fare?

You have helped tremendously. I will post on Canada and see what advice I get there as per your reference. THX
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM

greyhound.com $29

Interestingly, the AMTRAK "Thruway" bus is $26 on amtrak.com

The train "Cascade" is about $34. Since this train is a shorthaul that runs between those two cities, it should be pretty punctual. Should be more comfortable than the bus.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

rk...you are such a dear.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:15 AM
P_M

rkkwan is like an encyclopedia of travel knowledge. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance, but I hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Don't sell yourself short. An attitude of wanting to help has great value. And...your input was quite valuable. Another view is always beneficial. Thanks and hope to chat with you more.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Good morning...
Any suggestions as to a budget hotel in Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria? Also, what airport should I fly into?

Thx a mil
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

oOOPS... I forgot to ask for any help getting rooms in Victoria, Vancouver, and Seattle. Any helpful hints before I begin my searches?
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't say when you're traveling, so specific advice on hotel searches etc. is tough.

In general, peak season hotel prices (June-Sept.) tend to be very high in Seattle proper, driven in part by the many cruise passengers passing through. Similarly, Victoria and Vancouver prices spike in the mid-summer, so "affordable" or "bargain" is a relative thing. Priceline is usually a good route to take for Vancouver; less successful by far for Seattle and Victoria.

I believe you will find that flying in and out of Seattle is considerably cheaper than Vancouver; again, the cruise business (this time in Vancouver) drives prices, along with high BC airport taxes.

If you can afford an overnight in Victoria, then I think you might find some of the overnight packages offered by the Victoria Clipper (on their website) are decent value.

Another fun option is flying to the Inner Harbour in Victoria on a float plane from either downtown Seattle (www.kenmoreair.com) or downtown Vancouver (www.harbour-air.com). More expensive, obviously, but a lot more time on the ground in Victoria, plus a lot of fun in the flying. Both companies also offer flight/hotel packages in Victoria that are good value. One overnight is ample in Victoria.

The train between Seattle and Vancouver is much more preferable than the bus. But it is Amtrak, and their on-time performance is dicey at best. One train per day each way - 7:45am northbound, something like 6pm southbound, so don't plan same-day air connections to/from Seattle in conjunction with the train. Border delays in cars and buses in summer can be severe, plus the drive is not especially scenic.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM

A Word of warning about passing through Customs/Immigration at Victoria if you travel by ferry from Port Angeles or Victoria Clipper from Seattle...expect long delays, standing in single file. Picture 300 or so people all filing through a small building while trying to find their luggage. Fly in or take the bus from Vancouver, much less hassle.

Take a Grey Line tour of Victoria or catch a bus out to Butchart Gardens. Downtown Victoria is very compact and walkable.

Bob Gardner
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:30 PM
sfg

We've taken this trip twice, flying into Seattle, spending a couple of nights, driving to Vancouver, staying three nights and then ferry to Victoria with 2 nights there. Victoria is our favorite part of the trip, Vancouver second. The driving is extremely easy, except once we got caught in Seattle's 5 o'clock traffic - big mistake! Highlights of the trip include: Seattle - Pike Place Market, Ballard Locks, Pizza at Pegasus. Vancouver - Fireworks over English Bay, Stanley Park. Victoria - Butchart Gardens, whale watching, Museum, Pagliacci's restaurant. Favorite hotel is in Victoria - Royal Scot Suite Hotel - within walking distance of everything. Black Ball ferry back to Seattle is right there in the harbor across the street from the hotel. Park your car there at night to be the first in line and walk right on in the morning. Have fun. This is one of my family's favorite vacations and we've lived in Europe and travelled everywhere.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM

The float plane is a fun experience - I have stayed at the Ramada Huntington Inn also in the Inner Harbor and close to the Black Ball Ferry - The room we had at the Huntington had a kitchen which was nice - its an OK hotel, beginning to look a little tired but the price was right and its in the middle of everything
There is a BC visitor information on a corner in the inner Habor who are helpful in booking tours/ tickets.
Willies Bakery in Victoria is a great place for breakfast -
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM
sfg

The ferry trip from Vancouver to Victoria is very scenic, passing through islands and some wildlife viewing. The Black Ball ferry trip to Seattle is short and crosses open water - not so scenic after leaving Victoria Harbor.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Agree with sfg that the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver is the most scenic- its a beautiful ride and you you can buy Nanaimo bars on board - dont miss out on that treat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information