Search

August Holiday

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August Holiday

My wife and I are 55yo Aussies in good health. We arrive Vancouver on the evening of the 8th August and next day travel to Whistler where we meet our 25 yo. son and his partner. Very much looking forward to our soujourn as we have heard all positives about Canada in summer.
We have planned a road trip for the 4 of us and have booked accommodation at the various destinations so the dates and route are pretty much fixed.
I am now seeking advice as to activities (we can walk, ride bikes etc.-regular gym goers) and sight -seeing available at the various places and on route as well as places to eat at moderate prices seeing that dear old Dad is picking up the tab!
Below I have set out our itinerary and the advice referred to above relates to each place. I have raised specific questions where appropriate in the itinerary as well.
Day 1. Arrive Vancouver airport at 6pm. staying at a hotel in Seymour Street. I am told value for money. a taxi is probably the best bet from the airport.
Day 2. Spend day in Vancouver and take late afternoon Greyhound Bus to Whistler. Do we have to book ahead for bus tickets or just turn up half hour prior?
Days 3&4. Whistler. Need to hire a vehicle commencing here. What hire companies service Whistler? Any hints on getting the best deal?
Day 5. Drive to Osoyoos
Day 6. Drive to Nelson
Day 7. Drive to Canmore.
Day 11. Drive to Jasper. What's the best deal for securing National park passes and when and how should we purchase them? Any tips about clothing, footwear etc for walking in the parks?
Day 13. Drive to Kamloops
Day 14. Drive to Whistler. Return vehicle.
Day 16. Leave son and partner in Whistler. Greyhound Bus to Victoria staying at the Union Club (affiliated to my Sydney club)
Day 18. Pacific Coachlines Bus to Vancouver Airport for plane leaving at 7.35pm. Again should we pre-book bus tickets? Is 2 hours sufficient for airport check-in?
I trust I have not been too long winded or asked for the impossible.
Looking forward to receiving some responses

Regards

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM

I dont see any mention of what I think to be the most beautiful mountain road in the world:Jasper-Banff.You should at least take 4 days to explore that region.Paul
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Willd:

Mountain weather can be unpredictable, although you are going to be there when it is most likely to be good weather. However, you should be prepared for anything. It can snow anytime of year at higher altitudes.

Wear layers so you can warm up/cool down as necessary throughout the day. A lot of people like the pants where the bottom half can be zipped off and become a pair of shorts. Make sure you have a water/windproof shell jacket. A pair of light gloves and even a toque or headband to cover the ears would be good to have packed "just in case".

IMO, the best footwear is a good pair of day hiking boots. Many people wear running shoes, but I like the better tread and support from a real boot. If you don't have a pair already and plan on buying some, do so sooner than later and make sure you break them in before you leave.

Park passes can be purchased at the gates as you enter the national parks. With 4 people, depending on the number of days you'll be in the parks, you may be better off buying an annual pass rather than day passes.

tovarich:

I suspect that Willd will be taking the Icefields Parkway when they drive from Canmore to Jasper. And although one can spend many weeks exploring the area, the itinerary is already set.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM

The Icefields Parkway would be day 11 - driving from Canmore to Jasper.
www.icefieldsparkway.ca Pack a picnic lunch - food facilities are limited along the way and are expensive and "underwhelming". There are lots of beautiful scenic picnic spots along the way.

Willd, you can get your park pass when you enter Banff NP. Tell them how many days total you will be in the parks and you will be all set. There are daily passes ($9.80 pp, double that for a group pass) or an annual pass - the break even point for the annual pass is 7 daily passes. Passes are good until 4 pm the next day. Here is the Banff NP page on the passes:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/v...s_e.asp?park=1

Mountain weather is changeable, and mornings & evenings are cool (5-10C), so clothing you can layer is optimal. Zip-off pants are great for hiking in warmer weather (the kind where you can zip off the lower leg to turn them into shorts). I always have a wind/water proof outer layer and light gloves in my hiking pack. You will need sturdy footwear for hiking, but running shoes or sneakers will do if you do if you don't have hiking shoes or boots. The important thing is when you come to a wet/muddy spot in the trail to walk through it instead of around it. At subalpine/alpine elevations, the vegetation is very slow-growing and as people go around the wet spots, the trail widens, and eventually you get a braid of trails, erosion etc. Shoes/feet will dry out but it takes a long long time for the plants to grow back. To limit damage, Parks Canada is keeping some of the more popular trails closed until they have a chance to dry out - in Jasper NP, both Parker Ridge and the Cavell Meadows trail are still closed; Cavell is not expected to open until mid-July this year. It used to open by the end of June, but after spending a pile of $$ on trail rehab a few years ago and seeing some of it it undone in in just a couple of seasons, it seems that people don't learn and closures are the only way to keep the area from being "loved to death".
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM

One thing that I would investigate if I were in your position is the comparative cost of car rentals in Whistler vs Vancouver. It could be more economical to rent from Vancouver even given the extra days. Ask your son for the names of rental agencies in Whistler. I put Whistler, BC into Expedia.ca and got options for the Vancouver airport!

If you do rent a car in Vancouver be aware that there is a high incidence of car crime there. Pick up the car and get out of town is my advice. I have never had a break in or theft but do not leave anything in sight in the car when parked in the city.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips.
I believe it is Avis that services Whistler. I was wondering whether any other rental companies provide vehicles notwithstanding they do not have an office in Whistler. Given that we are spending 3 and 2 days in Whistler (with the car trip in the middle) without the requirement for a car there, I don't think hiring in Vancouver works financially.
Any advice for sight-seeing etc at Osoyoos, Nelson and on the way back from Jasper via Kamloops would be appreciated.
Any advice on the bus tickets and places to eat would be great.

Regards
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:05 AM
dar

You'll probably arrive in Osoyoos late in the day as it is about a 7 hour drive. The Inkameep band has a great cultural desert center.

http://www.nkmipdesert.com/explore.asp
But since you are young and active you may be better off renting a boat at the marina (by the Holiday Inn or Safari Beach hotel) and going out on the water and a swim. It can get very hot in Osoyoos, it is Canada's only desert! For eats: reasonable and good selection is the Osoyoos Golf and Country Club, it is up on the hill on the west side. Fantasitic patio and inside are (A/C) with a great view. (the view is like the one on the front of this website:
http://www.golfosoyoos.com/public/index.php

On the drive back down, just past the Secondary school is a trail marker where you can go for a walk and see the view. Or just wander the strip along "camping" row (Lakeshore Drive), it is a paved pathway.
Also recommend the Ridge Brew Pub if you want to try local home brew beer and decent pub food (reasonable). It's at the main intersection as you drive into town on the Highway (across from Visitor Center statue). Campo Marina is a great Italian Restaurant, but is more $$$$.Other town fav's are the Diamond Steak and Seafood, also more $$$$$. Enjoy Osoyoos, I've going this week!

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM
dar

Forgot to mention, the golf course has a breakfast buffet from 7-11 every morning in the same wonderful restaurant.
http://www.golfosoyoos.com/public/Restaurant.php