Art Deco in Toronto?

Apr 29th, 2000, 08:16 PM
Bonnie

Art Deco in Toronto?

Where would be the best places to find shops specializing in Art Deco? Also any buildings or interiors which would be a must-see because they would be a good example of the period.

Apr 30th, 2000, 09:18 PM
Tara

Art Deco was a "period" in France.

Apr 30th, 2000, 10:08 PM
Brian Kilgore

You'll get a better answer in a day or two from me, and perhaps some other Torontonians.

BAK

May 1st, 2000, 10:07 AM
dan woodlief

There is a large, and very good, antique mall down at the waterfront. I spent an hour or so looking around inside. Items ranged from cheap collectibles to $10,000+ artpieces. I have read that numerous celebs go there to buy antiques. Don't recall whether any vendors had Art Deco items, but it might be a good place to check.

May 1st, 2000, 10:17 AM
dan woodlief

Sorry about that. I forgot the waterfront area in Toronto is actually called the "Harbourfront." The address for the Habourfront Antique Market mentioned above is 390 Queens Quay. Phone: 416-260-2626.

May 1st, 2000, 10:18 AM
dan woodlief

Ugh. It has to be a Monday. Make that Queens Quay W.

May 2nd, 2000, 11:53 AM
Brian Kilgore

The Gardiner Ceramic Museum, on Queen's Park, across from the Royal Ontario Museum,should be on your list. There's a cluster of antique shops on Queen Street West at Roncessvalles. For building exteriors, walk through the area south-west of Dundas Street and University Avenue; there's a mix of buildings here from the 1920's to brand new.

May 8th, 2000, 10:33 PM
Brian Kilgore

100 Adelaide Street West is the Concourse Building, and is a magnificant Art Deco structure.
Come quickly; the developers are getting close, but there's probably a month or two before the reconstruction begins. There are plans to save some ofthe facade, but destry most of the building.
BAK

May 17th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Bonnie

Thanks all for your help! I look forward to my first visit to Toronto.