Search

Are we crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we crazy?

I'm looking for candid opinions of locals or others in the know. We're planning a BC/AB trip this August. Does the following itinerary look WAY TOO ambitious (i.e., too much driving time, too much distance to cover?) We will have two 17 year old girls in tow.

Day 1-3 Vancouver
Day 4-5 Travel from Vancouver to Banff
Day 6-9 Banff and area
Day 10-11 Travel to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho (through Fernie or Cranbrook)
Day 12 Coeur D'Alene
Day 13 10-hour drive home to Oregon

Another question -- how long does the route from Vancouver to Kamloops (via Trans-Canada Highway)take? And from Kamloops to Banff?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 02:17 PM
dar

Vanc-Kamloops can be as quick as 4 or 41/2 hours (low traffic time, no stops). If you travel from Van during morning or afternoon rush hour, add 1 hour.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:21 PM

The Trans Canada from Vancouver to Kamloops is actually the slower route, but because of the opportunity to view the Fraser Canyon, it is arguably the more scenic.

If you are taking parts of 2 days to make the trip, I sugest the Fraser Canyon route. Otherwise, from Hope, BC, take the Coquihall Freeway.
Free is something of a misnomer because you pay a toll. The road is 4 lane and limited access.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:14 PM

Vancouver to kamloops via the frazer canyon/hwy 1 is more like 5-6 hours, allowing for stops to view the scenery. This is a mostly two lane hwy with sections of 4 lane for passing. Very scenic.

The other option is the coquihalla hwy, which can get you there in 4 hours with one gas fill up stop. 4 lane divided all the way, not much to see except mountains and trees and concrete highway. Toll is $10 per car. Speed limit is 110 km/hr (the highest in BC). More of a "get there fast" route.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 05:48 AM

Hello Davki,
Yes, I believe we are both crazy as loons and I say this with good reason:
On July 4th I shall depart Portland, Oregon for CoeurDAlene, ID spending only the one night before heading North to Canmore, Alberta for only 3 nights
before the dreaded return for the long trip home. I will have two 17 year old boys in tow, so am amused at our similarities. I shall consider this the sampler package and endurance contest it shall surely be and plan for a leisurely return trip someday. I will pray for your welfare and ask you do the same for us. I'm certainly the crazier be-tween us, but am praying for the best. Sometimes necessity is the mother.Good Luck, Sherwood, Oregon