Calgary to Vancouver - Actual Driving Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never driven Calgary to Vancouver in one day. What is the amount of time (in hours) that I should budget for this?

I want to know what the actual travel time is, stopping only for gas and "the call of nature". Kind of a bare minumum.

I don't like to speed, it's not worth the extra stress to me.

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:51 PM

It's 600 miles, and I am pretty sure not all of the route is easy. Once long ago, I did drive with my family through southern Alberta and BC, and I'm sure the roads have changed somewhat since. However, then there were many curvy roads where speed could be deadly. Maybe someone has driven it lately.

I think I have heard people refer to it as a 12-hour drive.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:56 PM

I agree with WillTravel. Most people whom I know quote it as a 12 hour drive. Map Quest says it takes 11 hours 19 minutes, but that doesn't allow for stops.

When my husband does the driving, we do it in 12 hours. But I'm less assertive about overtaking, etc., and when I drive I do it in 13 hours.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:50 AM

There are a number of possible routings once you reach the western half of the trip. The fastest route is Trans Canada Highway 1 to Kamloops, (about 7-9 hours depending on traffic and almost entirely 2 lanes after Lake Louise), and the Coquihalla from there, (about 3.5 hours entirely freeway with a $10 toll between Merrit & Hope). Any other route would take you a minimum of 12 hours although the scenery on the TC #1 from Kamloops to Hope is much better than on the Coque. By the way - we're talking city limit to city limit. If you arrive in Vancouver during rush hour or when there's a holdup on the freeway you could add a fair amount of time.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Have done it in 10.5 hours, but that's only twice in many trips. Usually takes us 11 to 11.5 hours - a couple of winter trips have taken 20!!
GaryA has the fastest route - #1 to Kamloops then the Coquihalla to Vancouver. It also depends exactly where you're headed in the city, because traffic varies within the Greater Vancouver area.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:50 AM

FWIW, don't forget that by traveling east-to-west, you will be gaining an extra half an hour of daylight time in the afternoon between Calgary and Vancouver. You also gain one hour of clock time when you pass from the Mountain Time Zone into the Pacific Time Zone just west of Golden, BC.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 06:42 PM

Hi. I have read some replys from other sited and this site that you can drive from Calgary to Vancouve in 7 - 9 hours. That is so untrue! I live in Calgary and I do the drive out to Vancouver often.It is a minimum 9.5 hours to get to Hope, then 1.5 hours to Vancouver. That's 11 hours. Everyone has to stop and put gas in a minimum 2 times, and use the bathroom, no way around it. I also don't believe that somone would drive straight thru without a meal break (at least 1 meal break, a Tim Hortons coffee pick up or break) that's 1hour added to the time with gas breaks and 1 meal break and bathroom stops. 11 hours people anyone that says less is lieing!
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM

And then if you get stuck on one of the winding, no-pass areas behind and RV or other slower-moving vehicle - or have to slow down for rain, rush hour traffic, etc. - you could easily add another hour or two.

We usually find it's 12-14 hours depending on those factors.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Must be it took someone 8 years to make this trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Oops! Should have known better from seeing a post by Judy...