Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are people in Canada really as friendly as they say, why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I go to Canada, outside of Quebec, I find the people to be so much friendlier than in the United States. You are more likely to get some very friendly small talk directed at you, smiles are common and people are so helpful.

I was wondering if other people have the same observations, and what you feel is the reason for all this niceness?
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:36 AM

Well, thank you very much!!
I'm not sure I have an answer to your question, but I can say that I feel the same way when I visit the States. I always find Americans seem to be much more outgoing than us and are always sooo pleasant and friendly.
I think a lot of it has to do with how friendly we are ( meaning you and I) to other pepole and that friendlyness (sp)comes right back at us. Have a great day!!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:02 AM

I have been to Alberta and eastern BC many times. I have found most people to be helpful. But people who live in the intermountain West of both the US and Canada are by in large helpful and courteous.

The biggest contrast is between the American and Canadian border officials. At Coutts - Sweetgrass border station, north of Great Falls and south of Calgary, the Canadians have always been professional and courteous. The agent on duty every time has asked me straight forward questions and I gave straight forward answers. The interview was brief and I was on my way. The Americans by contrast are a bunch of surly, arrogant bullies.

They cannot be satisfied with the presentation of a passport; they felt compelled to grill me because I had a rental car from the Calgary airport.

I really got ticked this past time when the joker took my passport, looked at it, and then asked me what my name was and where I lived.
If it was not my real passport, is he stupid enough to think that I am stupid enough not to know what it says?

Do they really think they are going to catch a terrorist with those tactics?
I think the attitude is not doing any good and that all it does it does is irritate people.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:11 AM

Let's try not to bite, guys. This "fatgirl" person is constantly putting troll posts like this one on the US board. He/she also uses the name "Bunchargum." Ignore him/her or there will be a flurry of meaningless inquiries. The problem is that there's just enough substance to some of these questions that people get drawn into discussions, but the subjects are provocative enough that the discussions often lead to arguments. Beware.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:58 PM

I cannot imagine whay anyone would take the time and effort to continue to respond to "fatgirl".

Perhaps, you all have nothing better to do, or have missed that the screenname is "fatgirl".

Rather curious that "fatgirl" mentions "outside of Quebec".

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:43 AM

Well I will plead ignorance. I'm not aware of "fatgirl" and for a minute I actually thought we were receiving compliments. Silly me! But djkbooks, why did you bring it to the top again when it was sinking so nicely???
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:04 PM

I live in Detroit and travel into Ontario quite often, specifically Stratford. I love Canadians! They are more polite, reserved and soft-spoken than Americans, but sincerely nice people. I get a lot of company from Europe and they always comment on how friendly and open people are here in the States as well. In my travels, I have generally found that people all over the world are as friendly to you as you are to them.