Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anything or anywhere I must eat while in Vancouver / Victoria?

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already got a poutine rec (I know, not really the right city to try it, but my husband is dying for a taste) and now am looking for other types of suggestions. We like just about anything, he is a big beef/pork fan, I more of a seafood/chicken fan...but we like trying new/different things. So...what do we have to try? No need for it to be fancy...could be best fish & chips, best chinese, best pastries, best chocolates...anything!!!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:08 PM
hdm

I just got back from Van/Vic. Best meals in Vancouver were at Vij's (Indian with a twist) just off South Granville, Sophie's Cosmic Cafe (breakfast/brunch/lunch; funky and fun) in Kitsalano Beach; Earl's on Hornby (lunch or dinner; it's a chain, I think, but the food was great and the place was nice and fun); Floata in Chinatown for dim sum, and munching your way through the market on Granville Island.

In Vic, we had a fabulous Indian buffet dinner in the Bengal Room at the Empress Hotel. We just happened to go on a night when there was jazz too. The buffet was only $28pp and there was an additional $12 decadent chocolate dessert buffet but we were to full to participate. We also had a good casual dinner at the Irish Times because we wanted to hear the great music. Cheap and fun.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM

For casual dining w/ good food in Victoria try:

Moxie's: great courtyard for warmish summer evenings

Glo: on the water w/ outdoor dining
Med Grill Same menu indoors both offer 4 course Tuscan Table Sun, Mon, Tues 4 courses $16.97

Spinnackers Brew Club nad Canoe Club Brew Pub both on the water w/ great brew

Siam at the foot of Fort Street for excellent thai cuisine

For Breakfast and lunch it's hard to beat the value at John's on Pandora

Up Island in the Cowichan Valley: the bistro at Merridale Cider

In Vancouver second the rec for Vij's; also Montri's excellent thai and for romantic splurge; Il Giardino: excellent italian food in a beautiful setting

On a nice day the bar at the back of the Pan Pacific has great views of water mountains and seaplanes in the sun

buon appetito

AndrewDavid
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM

I second both Vij's and Sophie's... we love the Banana Leaf (never had Malaysian food before this and it is very tasty) http://bananaleaf-vancouver.com - have only been to the Broadway location. Also, Le Crocodile for French (upscale but worth it) Another favorite on Broadway in Kits area is Andale's Mexican and Spanish Cuisine (cheap, fun and great!). The Ordinary Cafe, also in Kits area, is always on our list: http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=413

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM
BAK

When I'm in Vancouver I try to have a meal at the Granville Island Market. Smoked salmon, usually chunks but sometimes slices, several kinds of fruit, some buns or bread, some cream cheese, etc.

There are tables inside and benches outside, to sit on and watch the boats go buy.

All in all, by the time you pay for everything, it works out to more than a restaurant meal, but you have leftovers to snack on back at the hotel.

BAK
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 05:03 PM

When I think of Vancouver and food, I think of the best sushi I've had on the North American continent; I think it has to do with the freshness of the fish being nearby and the largest Asian population per capita I've seen anywhere in North America. Who knows why really, all I know is I was blown away.

I also had bubble-tea for the first time there, bubble-tea establishments are all over the place in Vancouver, again the only N. American city I've noticed them in large number.

Have fun! DAN
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:43 AM
MarinaGirl

If you love sushi, you absolutely must try Tojos in Vancouver - it's probably the best I've ever had. The restaurant is always given fantastic reviews by food critics - make sure you make a reservation and sit at the sushi bar. My husband and I always let Tojo make whatever he wants, and we've never been disappointed. Happy travels!

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions! We are definitely looking forward to eating our way around Vancouver. Granville Island sounds great, I am sure we will want to try everything and end up spending way to much, but that's what vacation is for And we will be sure to go to Vij's since so many people mentioned it. And the 4 course deal at Glo sounds super! And we will certianly have fun comparing the asian cusine to that of our home, SF bay area. I wonder who will be the winner???

Oh, one other question...I have heard there are a lot of dutch pancakes houses around...is this something worth trying?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:41 PM

indiposter~you will love Vij's. We are from Sf Bay area as well and have been to Vancouver a few times. We also recently ate at Aurora Bistro which we liked alot. It's small and features BC local goods.
Also on our list this time:
Hapa Izakaya on Robson:great small Japanese plates with young hip crowd

Chambar:we went for moules et frites..too much of a scene IMO(and I can be caught up in scenes)

Vij's: always and forever we will go whenever we are in BC

Feenie's: went for business lunch at recommendation of folks on chowhound..GREAT BURGER!!!

While we did not revisit Bin 941 this time (On Davie) I would go again in a heartbeat..great small plates!! We simply ran out of time.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Barb's Fish and Chips at Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria---just sit on picnic tables and very casual. We had fish and chips several places on our Victoria/Vancouver trip--nothing came close. The fish that night was halibut--so good!
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 02:55 PM

You mentioned the Dutch pancake house. Here is their website

http://www.dedutch.com/

Yes I recommend it and you can read about the different pancakes they serve. Basically it is a large pancake baked in an iron pan with any filling you can imagine. They have savory and sweet - whatever mood you are in. Everyone should try it at least once if you like pancakes.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM

Had lunch at Milestones in Victoria today. Great view of the Water and great food! Go upisland and visit Just Jakes in Downtown Duncan, Great food and freindly service and thier own brew pub!
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 07:31 PM

hey there. of course there's all the great places in Van like Vij's (good but expensive!), the Cannery (love their lobster infused oil and bread!), the Boathouse, Tojo's (best sushi ever), Global (sure to see some famous people here) and Feenies (great for brunch!)etc. but if you're on a bit of a budget and want some great food, here's some options:

Banana Leaf on Denman St. near English Bay: good priced malaysian food. the Denman location is way better than the Broadway location.

Hapa Izakaya on Robson St, near Nelson St.: amazing japanese tapas (sushi and sashimi)...order the tuna, the udon noodles, rice, etc, along with at least 8 other tapa dishes to share.

Earl's on corner of Hornby & Smithe ....newest Earl's in Van.....so cool!!! the specialty salads are to die for!!! featured on chef at large

Stephos on Davie St. .....cheap Greek food, not amazing, but there's always a line up.

Elbow room on Davie St......good for breakfast place, hilarious!!! waiters yell at ya.

Cupcakes on Denman St. ......amazing treats!!! even just to look!

Steamrollers, corner of robson and bute.....healthy burritos....the Tommy burrito is the best.

Vera's burger shack . . .great burgers and fries!!! yummy.

Davie street is one of the main strips. Great bread and treats at COBS. Blenz....it's the canadian version of starbucks....get the unsweetened matcha......its awesome.

But the VERY BEST FOR meat-lovers is Memphis Blues!!!! To die for. Order the memphis feast and share with at least 3 people. the pulled pork is amazing. if your husband loves meat, he'll love this place.

hope that helps!!