Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

American in Canada - Do you carry your passport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2016, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling through Buffalo NY into Niagara Falls, Canada for four days. This is my first trip out of the US. We both have passports but I'm unsure if I should carry it on me while we are sightseeing or if my US drivers license is enough for identification. If I was traveling overseas, I would definitely keep it on me but just not sure when it comes to our neighbors on the north and south. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 03:05 PM

I can’t think of any reason why you would need it except when crossing the border. We Canadians are not in the habit of checking id. I guess it is a question of which you consider safer: having it with you at all times or leaving it at the hotel.

As an aside here is a little tip I probably learned here, but worth repeating. If you put something in a safe in your hotel room, put ONE piece of footwear in with it. That way when you pack up to leave you will be sure to remember to clear out the safe.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 04:13 PM

Once you are across the border, photo ID is rarely demanded. Your hotel reception might ask, but a driver's licence should be enough (along with your credit card of course.) In police situations, there is theory and then there is what happens in stop-and-frisk. Whether you can be asked for identification routinely is being argued in various forums which a tourist should never encounter. If you feel more secure, make a photo copy, which does not have legal status but might have a calming effect, on you that is.
(PS: Eliz your tip made me smile, plus I'm sure it works. Talk about getting started on the right foot...)
Old Jun 24th, 2016, 07:09 AM

eliztravels2 - excellent tip!