Alaska vs Banff/Jasper

Search

Alaska vs Banff/Jasper

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska vs Banff/Jasper

My wife and I have narrowed our choices for a July/August vacation down to Alaska and the Banff/LL/Jasper area. For a variety of reasons, this may be our last big vacation for a while, so we want to make the most of this opportunity.

A trip to Alaska would either be an Inside Passage cruise or a week of exploring Kenai Fjords / Denali area starting in Anchorage.

We love the outdoors, hiking, nature photography, etc. Obviously, either area would make for a phenomenal trip. Is there anyone out there who has been fortunate enough to visit both areas who could give us any point of comparison? Right now, we may be leaning slightly towards Banff over Alaska based on cost. Thanks!!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:54 AM

I have not done the inside passage cruise but I have spent a fair amount of time in the Kenai and also in the Jasper/Lake Louise areas.

You are correct. They are both marvelous. You would not be disappointed with either. The Jasper/LL area has the advantage in terms of wildlife, at least during my trips. Other than that, I'd be hard--pressed to give you a logical reason to choose one over the other.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 12:01 PM

Hi nctravel,
I realize you are still deciding where you are going, but just a word of advice. If you are talking about July/August 2005, and you do decide on Banff/LL/Jasper, you will need to book your lodgings fairly soon. They fill up quickly here in the summer months. I don't know if the same holds true for Alaska.

Have a great vacation!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 09:25 PM

If you want to see wildlife on an Alaska cruise, I recommend that you book a small ship cruise, such as Lindblad Expeditions or Cruise West. They get a lot closer to the shore, and they take you ashore in zodiacs. You have a much better chance of seeing whales and bears and sea otters, etc. from the deck of a small ship.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:04 PM

Between the cruise and the Banff area, I would take the Banff area.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:35 PM

Banff & Jasper NP has to over very nice nature. But in July/August most wildlife will feed on higher elivations. You will not see so many wildlife in the valleys. It would be an advantage to take a longer backcountry hike in the NP (away from the crowds). Last two years July was a very dry month and interior BC & Alberta had to fight with fire (which resulted in a camp-fire ban and travel restrictions).

July/August are good month for bear-whatching along the Alaska-cost. What I saw is, that you have to pay a lot extra fee's for all the boot-tours & float-plane trips, as the cruise-lines will not bring you to the viewing platforms.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Hi,

In 2003 I DROVE from Seattle to Anchorage, then on the return trip I ducked over to Edmonton/Calgary for a weekend and then home through the Canadian Rockies.

As I drove through the Canadian Rockies I did marvel at the stunning mountain scenery BUT told myself time and again how much more impressed I would have been had I not just come from Alaska, which has many more mountains and enough stunning sights to dwarf the more populated part of the North American continent.

I've not done the inside passage cruise but have studied the words of some who did, as I planned my own Alaska journey. I didn't like the idea of not controlling your own destiny as far as timing. I'm sure the water and mountain scenery would be stunning in many locales, and you might not have to exert yourself to take most of it in, yet I'm still unsure.

The Anchorage fly & drive idea has lots of merit and the scenery you could afford yourself, on your own schedule, would be awe inspiring.

One could almost make Anchorage a "home base" (meaning stay there for most days of your vacation) and then make day trips to many chosen spots in the outlying areas. Presumably hotel costs would be lower if you're able to stay in the city and for multiple nights at one spot.

Alaska fits snug right in the "wheelhouse" of your listed interests. Furthermore, for it being more remote, you could hit it now and have a better chance of one day getting to the Cdn. Rockies in the future.

I'd been to 49 states before I made it to Alaska and while Anchorage wasn't exactly a pot of gold, the path there was amazing in so many ways.

See if you can find ways to reduce costs and make the Alaska journey, that's my vote.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:07 AM

We recommend that you check out Frommer's Guide on the Canadian Rockies. There are many good tips i.e. not to stay too long in these big centers like Jasper and Banff, but to move to the western side of the Rockies, i.e. Revelstoke. Check us out at www.mulvehillcreek.com. We recommend the trip in rental car Vancouver - Okanagan Valley - Columbia Valley (Arrow Lake, 3 national parks) - Banff - Calgary.
Bon Voyage!
Rene J Hueppi, Hon.D.phil.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the help. We've finally decided to use Anchorage as a base for exploring Alaska on our own & hope to get to the Banff area in the not too distant future. Thanks again!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Hi again,

I think the Alaska trip will hit the spot for you. Be SURE that you visit Seward. That was my very favorite little aspect of southern Alaska and it looks like a place that would have magnificent appeal all year around (with perhaps different amounts of DISTANT snow depending on timing).

The Sealife Museum in Seward is worth the time, so do check that out.

I hope downtown Anchorage has a bit more life during July/August than it did when I was there, but at least you can get everything you could need while there.

I think you're going to have a great time.

Old May 4th, 2005, 05:49 PM

We're doing Jasper/Banff this summer after having cruised Costa Rica with Cruise West the past 2 summers. I would definately recommend them for a small ship nature experience. Good Luck!