Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alaska or Glacier/Banff/Jasper in Summer 2009??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next year my husband and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary and want to plan a special vacation next summer to celebrate it. We were very fortunate to have the opportunity to spend our 25th anniversary in Hawaii and although it was absolutely the most beautiful place I've ever seen (so far), we want to do something different this time around. I've always been interested in seeing Alaska, but this past year I've done some research on the Canadian Rockies and Glacier National Park and also was impressed with that region. A few years ago we visited Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and loved it!!!

Although we are not "serious" hikers, we certainly appreciate seeing some beautiful country. We would most likely be traveling in July and/or early August. Which destination would you suggest and why?

As always, I thank you for your valuable input!
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM

If you have 2-3 weeks off, I would definitely visit Alaska. I have not visited but have researched the area. It is on my wish list of vacation destinations.

We do love, love, love the Canadian Rockies though. We are returning this Sept. for our 3rd visit. I do think that hiking enhances a trip to the Rockies but I have a friend who visited, who is handicapped and she was awed by the beauty of the mountains, lakes, glaciers.

I could easily spend 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies but if you are lucky enough to have that block of time, I would head to Alaska.

We also love Hawaii. The beauty of the Canadian Rockies equals the beauty of Hawaii--I didn't think it would be possible.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Linda, thank you for your post. I'm really not sure quite why, but I do seem more intrigued with the Rockies. From all the tour books that I've read and pictures that I've seen, I just am amazed at how beautiful they seem to be. Now after reading your post and others, too, I am convinced that they really are that beautiful.

When you travel there, where do you stay and how long do you stay in each area? We will probably have about 10-12 days to spend and want to see as much as we can while we are there. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM

We hike, so we first are staying in Lake Louise, which is closer to the hikes we want to do.

This visit, we are staying at Paradise Lodge(3 nt hiker special) Last time we stayed at Baker Creek. We also couldn't get lodging in Lake Louise and stayed at Emerald Lake Lodge. Emerald Lake though, has doubled in price. There was a great deal on Luxury Link for Cathedral Mountain Lodge--I would have stayed there this visit but we needed 3 rooms. We are bringing friends.

You definitely need to drive to Jasper. There is a 3 nt minimum at Alpine Village--very nice. I like the location better than where we are staying this time: Patricia Lake (we are staying in the old cottages, not the fabulous new bungalows). Last visit we stayed at Beckers. There are many nice private home accomodations available in town. I would have stayed there but couldn't find 3 rooms in one house. Look at www.stayinjasper.com.

Just checked www.kayak.com and found the Rimrock Hotel in Banff for $173. I have booked their mountain view rooms--that is a very good rate. The Banff Springs is actually offering a $225 rate but some of those rooms are really small. If it was just my husband and me, I would have booked a room there.

We have enjoyed all our accommodations. Our favorite was Emerald Lake Lodge.

I have cancelled a few reservations and rebooked. I check Kayak every couple weeks and look for bargains. I hope our friends don't think I am completely nuts. I haven't quite told them that we are staying at the Rimrock. I have switched our reservation in Banff 3 times. They seem to be happy that I am making the plans.

My dream has always been to stay at Lake O'Hara Lodge. My husband won't pay that much.

There are very good accommodation reviews on www.tripadvisor.com

I will write a trip report when we return.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Forgot to answer your question about length of stay. 10-12 days would be great. Our trip is much too short. If I had that amount of time, I would spend

3 nts Lake Louise/Yoho

Drive the Icefields Parkway

3 nts Jasper

Drive back down the Icefields Parkway---I love to do this drive twice and do different stops each way. Also helps in case one day's drive is overcast.

3 nts Banff

Depending on arrival and departure times, you may have to spend a night near the Calgary airport.