Air Canada

Mar 31st, 2009, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Air Canada

Does anyone know if you can pay to upgrade to first class at the gate if they have empty seats on an Air Canada flight? I know a couple years ago on Alaska Airlines they were offering an upgrade to first class at the gate before boarding the plane for $50.00 a seat and was wondering if Air Canada does this as well
Apr 1st, 2009, 05:29 AM

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but you may want to also post on the Air Travel forum - might get more responses.
Apr 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM

yellatac, Air Canada doesn't sell discounted upgrades at the gate. As a general rule, unsold business class seats are claimed by their frequent flyers (who use upgrade certificates) and by holders of "Latitude" flight passes.

Anselm
Apr 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM

As Anselm says, AC does not sell upgrades.
And good luck getting a business class seat even with an upgrade certificate. They have so many rules about how most of them can be used, what level your original seat was purchased at, etc. that even that is pretty tough.
Apr 8th, 2009, 08:02 AM
LJ

Just got off the phone (after nearly an hour) with AC and, as usual, they are SO unhelpful. I broke my ankle between booking a couple of flights and then taking off.But life and business goes on and I still have to travel.

WestJet was super, provided a seat on the aisle and near the front to accomodate my cast and made sure there were wheelchairs on offer at each point. All done with one quick phone call and for free and with a smile.

Air Canada made me pay for the change in seat, offered no wheelchair and made me phone back twice (apparently, the first time I phoned TOO soon to book a change in seat???). They also made me feel like I broke my ankle just to irritate them.

NO, I don't think you will be able to upgade at the gate...they may well ban you from the plane because you had the nerve to ask!

(Sorry for the rant and I do wish you well...)
Apr 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM

LJ, sorry about your ankle. Hope you are feeling better.
Air Canada's arrogance is unmatched. Last week I was on an AC flight. As the plane was taking off I noticed that the row of seats 2 rows ahead of me was empty. So, I asked the flight attendant if I could move up there after we were airborne. She said "No. That's where I want to put my coat." She threw down a sign that said "CREW" & that was that. I paid over $800 for my return seat but her coat clearly is a more valued customer than I am.
No wonder Westjet is gaining market share day by day as Air Canada's correspondingly erodes.