Search

Advice on trip to Banff NP for 5 nights

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on trip to Banff NP for 5 nights

Hi
This is my first posting on this topic. What do others think of traveling all the way from Western Pennsylvania, via Phoenix, to Banff, for five nights?

I've gone to Paris for 5 nights, so it seems OK to me, but I want to hear from those who have been there.

It has always been a wish of mine to see Lake Louise and other lakes in the area. We would be sightseeing, and not really hiking. Driving and walking is more likely.

The first night would probably be a wash, landing in Calgary and making our way to a stop.

I would prefer to stay put for all 5 nights, but would be willing to move once, I guess.

Your thoughts are more than welcome.
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:52 AM

I have visited for only 7 days and actually made it up to Jasper--I love driving the Icefields parkway.

With 5 days you could stay the first night at a hotel near the airport, since you are arriving late. Then head to Banff or Lake Louise for the other 4 nights.

Banff is a town, Lake Louise just has lodging. We prefer to stay in Lake Louise because it is closer to Emerald Lake, Moraine Lake, Lake O'Hara, the Icefields Parkway and the trails we like to hike. Banff is only about a half hour away. If you enjoy walking around a town in the evening, then you would probably prefer Banff. It can get crowded in the summer but the lodging is a bit less expensive. You will find that lodging is expensive in the area. We stop in Banff for lunch, wine etc. on our way from the airport to Lake Louise. We also head there on rainy days.
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM

It's worth it, even for 5 nights. You'll want to rent a car at the Calgary Airport if you want to make the most of your time. Use Banff as your "base camp" for the duration of your stay. Take one day to enjoy the town and to "do Banff". Visit the Banff Gondola, walk to Bow Falls and the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. Rent a canoe, take a float trip, walk on the river. There's lots to see and do right in town. Day 2 - visit the roads "around Banff". The Lake Minnewanka Road has lots to see and do. Take the boat cruise, or pack a picnic and go for a walk. Drive to Vermillion Lakes, the Mount Norqay Road and the Hoodoos Viewpoint. Hike around Johnston Lake and have a picnic or drive to Johnston Canyon and hike. Day 3 - Lake Louise and area. Start early and pack a picnic. Take one full day to enjoy Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. If you have time, try and squeeze in Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park. Day 4 - start your day early and drive the Icefields Parkway to the Glaciers. It takes a full day to enjoy the scenery between Lake Louise and the Columia Icefields Centre and is the most beautiful scenery in the park. Ideally, you want to do this on a "good weather day".
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. Right now, we seem to have missed the opportunity for this trip due to vacation days and family issues. We are definitely planning on doing this in early September, 2013. I will save the replies, and maybe next year, time won't be an issue.
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM

Thanks too for the above information, I am doing my first draft of our itinerary also for Sept 2013. Great suggestions here. Thanks again.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Maudie, are you following me?????

Are we the same person?
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:51 AM

Yep, looks like it! But you pick such great places to visit, how can I resist? We are looking at exploring Alaska and Canada, it's a huge undertaking so I need all the help I can get.

Yes it's me from our UK postings last time around.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:54 AM

Oh I love your second sentence, I shall start by saying "what do you think of traveling from Perth, Western Australia to Alaska and Canada for 5 or 6 weeks???" Now that really is a long way!
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Maudie, that is a long way, but I can only tell you that we visited Vancouver once and loved it, and we are planning on Banff next year.

I only wish we Americans could get 5 or 6 weeks to travel!
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:34 AM

Hi tuscan, we visited Vancouver a few years ago and had a few days up at Whistler with our DD who was working there. We vowed we would get back to spend more time exploring.

Well it's really 4 weeks annual leave and two weeks leave without pay, but yes we are very lucky that we can do it.

Let's hope we can be of help to each other again. Good luck with your planning.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:33 PM

If you can afford it, Stay at the Fairmont Hotel in Banff. It's AMAZING there! Lake Louise is beautiful in the summer! If you like walking in the evenings, then I would suggest Banff.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Maudie, you will feel very much at home in Banff -- when we were there, so many of the young people working in the hotels, restos, etc. were from Down Under. Several explained that while they were in Canada for the skiing (staying beyond the summer season), young Canadians were doing like work in Australia to perfect their surfing.

But the scenery isn't much like that in Australia -- you will be in awe of the mountains, lakes, and glaciers. Do devote a full day to driving the Icefields Parkway.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM

Hi kayd, well I have my DD home now after 2 1/2 years of backpacking her way around the world. She did two winter seasons and a summer, she loved it in Whistler and was lucky enough to be there and work at the winter Olympics. They call it Whistralia as there are so many of us Aussies there. Australia Day (our national day) is pretty huge there!

My plan at present is to fly from Anchorage to Calgary, pick up a rental car then spend 4 nights in Jasper and 4 in Lake Louise/Banff so I will make sure we follow your advice. It sounds fabulous and I can't wait.