Accommodations in Toronto!

Jun 29th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Kathy

Accommodations in Toronto!

Couple spending 4 days in Toronto (without the kids) and need a recommendation for a hotel. Prefer to stay at one of the "finer" hotels in Toronto. Appreciate your help.

Jun 29th, 2000, 11:42 AM
elizabeth

Hi Kathy -

It would be easier if you could provide a per night cost you're willing to pay, but here's a stab at it:

Luxury:

Four Seasons
Windsor Arms
Park Hyatt
Intercontinental (less luxury than above - I think)

(all of the above are in Yorkville - nice shopping district/museum/etc - 20 minute walk or quick subway ride to downtown)

Mid-range

Hilton
Sheraton Centre
Marriot Eaton Centre
Royal York (old railway hotel - some would argue that it should be in the luxury category - I'm not sure)

All of the above are in or near downtown area - I've heard about some good deals at the Sheraton on priceline.com

Other mentions on this site (do a search under "Hotels" for more):

Cambridge Suites (downtown)
Radisson Admiral (on the lake - nice in summer)
Skydome Hotel (fun if you're sports fans)
Hotel Victoria (downtown - great value)

Also, be sure to search for restaurants as there are lots of great postings.

Have a great trip!

Jul 1st, 2000, 08:57 PM
Paula

Hi, Kathy! We always stay @ The Four Seasons (Yorkville). Fine hotel, unbeatable location! In the past we have stayed @ The Westin Harbour Castle which is located downtown on the water (If you go there, ask for south facing, direct harbourfront view). However, they recently closed their main floor dining
room & the result is that you have to have breakfast in the hotel lobby bar!!
I would not recommend room service @ the Westin......very slow & in our room there was no table...only a coffee table! They do have a revolving restaurant but do you want to revolve @ breakfast?? Go to the Four Seasons and
have a GREAT 4 days!

Jul 2nd, 2000, 08:08 PM
Betty Ann

We have stayed in a suite at the King Edward Hotel and really enjoyed it. We were on the 10th floor, concierge level I believe they call it. Wonderful bedroom, living room and bathroom. Excellent service. There's a lounge on the 10th floor where you can have a good breakfast and also drinks and goodies during late afternoon/early evening, both complimentary. The concierge staff (on the 10th floor) will arrange airport transfers or anything else you need. Great location, also. You can walk or subway to everything. I believe we paid $340 CDN in May '98. Enjoy!

Jul 6th, 2000, 12:43 PM
Rich

Kathy--

I STRONGLY recommend the Four Seasons.

As others have said, the location is excellent, the accomodations superb, and the staff could not be nicer. Not only that, but one of the cities finest restaurants, Truffles, is located right in the hotel.

If you do stay there, do not be afraid to suggest any special wants or needs to the staff or concierge. They are very good.

Jul 8th, 2000, 10:05 AM
Betty Walls

Hi. We're planning a trip to Canada via Canadian rail from Chicago. Stay 2 nights in Toronto, rent a car and head for St. Catherines, Ont. for 4 nights. Back to Toronto for an overnight, train back to Chicago for a two day stay, then a flight back to our home in San Francisco. Need hotel or B&B help in Toronto (must be reasonable) and St. Catherines, if anyone has such info. Thanks and wait to hear back from you. Betty Walls

Jul 9th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Paula

Hi, Betty! 2 suggestions:First, You may prompt a better response if you re-post under a new thread for reasonable accomodations in Toronto & St. Catharines as the original post here relates to high end Toronto hotels. Second, consider driving the extra 20 minutes & staying @ Niagara-0n-The-Lake which,IMHO, has a much more appealing selection of B&B's and hotels than St. Catharines. However, is for some reason, you prefer to stay in St. Catharines, then I think The Holiday Inn on/near Lake St. wld. be a good choice for a reasonably priced hotel that is centrally located. While in St. Catharines, you'll probably go to
Port Dalhousie so make sure you check out Marie's Seafood House ( non-smoking
restaurant near the water, friendly service & great seafood!). Have a great trip!

Jul 10th, 2000, 06:12 AM
Susan

If you're planning to stay downtown, i strongly recomend the Royal York, it is a historic building, across from the railway station, (if your planning to do some travelling in the city), and very close to the Sky Dome, CN Tower and The Air Canada Centre. The Royal York is part of a chain of Hotels called Canadian Pacific (or CP). Other CP hotels are The Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, The Chateau Laurier in Ottawa, The Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, THe Jasper Park Lodge In Jasper and Chateau Lake Lousie at Lake Lousie, just to name a few. Have Fun!!!

Search this Thread