Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

aaargh.. Why am I having so much trouble planning this trip??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten such terrific help from Fodorites for other travels-- Costa Rica, Virgin Gorda, New Zealand, US national parks, etc. I can't understand why the Canadian Rockies are presenting so much more trouble for us. I've posted before, but I'm not making much progress. So I'm going to try again. Eager to make reservations! Eager to see that awesome part of north America! (We're late 60's/mid 70's; don't know how much longer we'll be able to be active.)

We hope to spend 9 nights touring the area, probably late July. Would fly to Calgary (from Phila).
Our main interests: great hiking (moderate) and great scenery; also great accommodations.
We don't enjoy accommodations that aren't very quiet. (I've seen rave reviews of certain places-- and only later learned that the place is right on a road, or near train tracks, or that the walls are thin. I understand tht some folks simply aren't bothered by things like that; alas,we are...) We don't have any desire for (but don't object to) cooking facilities. We'd rather have good convenient restaurants. We prefer upscale accommodations, but "upscale" doesn't have to mean fancy: we much prefer understated luxury to "fancy." We definitely don't need spas or pools or fitness centers. Looking manily for gorgeous surroundings that have good quiet and privacy-- hopefully not more than $400 per night (possible?)
I know that the whole area is magnificent, breath-taking. I feel if I could just get our accommodations figured out, the rest would fall into place (that's what has happened for most of our other travels).
I would so appreciate knowledgeable in-put. (Have been thoroughly reading sites like Trip Advisor also of course. Have never found Frommers very helpful.) PLEASE help! Thanks!!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM

There were 3 solid replies to your original post. What more were you expecting? (=

You may have noticed how long it takes for your post to drop out of the top 50 - there's a lot less traffic on this forum.

Enjoy-la!
klam
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Given the constraints, I have no suggestions at all even though I have been out there 7 times in the last 9 years, and I was there last summer.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the 2 replies. Perhaps we're not destined to see the Canadian Rockies. Happily, there're many other lovely places to explore where finding what we're looking for isn't as difficult. I'm sure, though, that the scenery is splendid. Enjoy, everyone!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM

It would be shame for you to skip the Cdn Rockies as they are magnificent. We aren't as well travelled but many have said they are a unique experience. Its been approx 5-7 years since we went there, when we stayed at moderate priced places. But we went by the Fairmont hotels (Banff Springs, Lake Louise and Jasper Park) and we envied the people who were staying there. There is no doubt they get a lot of tourists walking through dutring the day but the hotels have learned to limit public access so that the people staying there have some privacy. I'm suprized to hear these hotels have sound between rooms problems as they were built when things were built well. Furthermore, lots of "high end" tourists stay at these hotels. Although i don't know for sure, i suspect there are limited number of trains traveling near Lake Louise and Jasper Park Lodge. Jasper Park Lodge is relatively off the beaten path and it appears its spread out as many of its lodgings are in smaller chalets.

We saw Emerald Park Lodge from a distance and it looked fabulous. I did not get the impression that it was overrun but I could be totally wrong.

May be others who have been to other national parks can comment on how over run the Cdn Rockies are "relatively" speaking.

My suggestion is to call each hotel directly and discuss your needs (esp since they have implemented public access) or to call one of the major local tour operators, eg Brewsters if they are still in business.

In case you weren't aware, it is difficult to build in the town of Banff and extremely difficult to build in the rest of the National Parks - thus, for many people, accomodations have not grown with the demand - but arguably, this is keeping it relatively pristine compared to some of the high traffic in US national parks or Whistler. Thus, a lot of accomodation has been built in Canmore, which is 20 minutes from Banff and just outside the park boundaries. This reminds me that there is a "mini-resort" area that is south of Canmore with various levels of accomodation including a resort hotel that hosted the G-7 leaders.

I really hope it works out for you because the Cdn Rockies are awesome.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:35 PM

With respect to the hiking, you might want to investigate the information provided by the Alpine Club of Canada. The following event might involve spending more time hiking than you planned, and is scheduled for late August, rather than July, but it has the advantage of being an organised trip with great support, great leadership, good value - and co-travellers with similar interests and fitness levels:

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/act...summer/55.html

You'd have to join the ACC (or perhaps it would be sufficient to be a member of an affiliated club).

Even if you don't want to take one of the ACC's organised trips, their website offers good information.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Kate and Dial-- thank you both for your kind and thoughtful responses.
Dial: I absolutely agree with you that since those Fairmont hotels were built "back when they knew how to build things" that one would think that the walls between rooms wouldn't be paper thin. I was surprised to read so many disappointed posts about the noise situation. I get the impression that those hotels are all about the public spaces, lobbies, etc-- and that the rooms (except for the very highest end ones) aren't much; that bathrooms are very small , etc.
Emerald Lake Lodge looks as if the setting is spectacular-- but, again, the rooms (except for the one highest priced cabin, ca $700+) don't seem especially nice or quiet. I did call the hotels-- and even they said they couldn't guarantee a specific room.
I probably will continue to keep searching,because I've wanted to go to that part of the continent forever.
Thanks again.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:31 AM

We've stayed at the Lodge at Kananaskis and really enjoyed the fact it was a little off the beaten path from Banff so much quieter. The rooms and restaurants were quite nice and the scenery fabulous. They offer suites with fireplaces that would be perfect for you. We still had easy access to everything from that location for hikes and day trips with the benefit of not having all the noise and traffic of Banff townsite.

From your request and with a fairly generous budget, I would definitely book the Jasper Park Lodge. It is absolutely lovely. The setting with a small lake and golf course is wonderful and the rooms or chalets should please you. We have always enjoyed meals there but you would also have your choice in Jasper. Quiet and serene, but not isolated.

I think once you're actually in the Canadian Rockies, breathing in fresh mountain air and standing amazed by the beauty around you, a slightly smaller bathroom won't trouble you nearly as much as you think.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM

We stayed in a one bedroom suite in the Manor Wing of the Banff Springs - it faced the golf course and, of course, the mountains - we never heard a sound from anywhere else. The bathroom was huge and had every amenity we needed and was luxurious.

We've also stayed in adjoining townhouses for a family Christmas - the townhouses were on Tunnel Mountain Road - Tunnel Mountain Resort - fully equipped kitchen, and nearby is Douglas Fir Resort - except for ourselves, it was quiet - the elk gathered just outside our living room balcony.

One trip stayed at Caribou Lodge which is on the main drag but we had a big room at the back so it was quiet but not scenic.

Also, stayed at the Inns of Banff - again, on the main drag but our room was at the back and noise not an issue. That room had a large deck which had a great view.

All 4 of these locations were easy walking distance to the main part of the town for restaurants, pubs, etc.

Have you looked at www.discoverbanff.com?
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Perhaps you are having such trouble because trying to see the Rocky Mountains is like trying to put the Pacific Ocean in a bottle.
I suggest you limit your intentions to a very easily defined objective. For example Choose a lodging above all others and then see what is around there. Or see a mountain feature above all others and then take what lodging is around that.
I suggest you try to book one of the Lodgings that appeared on the PBS TV recently and may be airing in Phila. "Great Lodges of the Canadian Rockies" Then do the hiking and seeing from there.
Last airing in my area is 1/14/06 5pm 1/15/06 7pm Library might have a video.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM

We were in Canadian Rockies in June 2004, with a very good company, named Tauck. The trip started and ended in Calgary. We arrived there two days before tour and explored Calgary.
We enjoyed a lot of this trip - evry thing was very good organized, the best hotels (Fairmont), very good driver and guide. All the meals were included, and we can select the restaurant, wde decided what to eat and at what hour. We had a lot of free time.

The trip was 7 days, 2100 $, so it was under your budget (you said 400 $/ night), including meals and transportation.

The hotels were the best and the most famous in each location, and we had the best rooms (the rooms with the best view).

Even if you do not want an organized trip, I suggest you to check Tauck's site, maybe you can take an idea regarding your itinerary.
http://www.tauck.com/tours/canada-to...s-tour-br-2006

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:02 AM

I think I am getting a gist for the kind of hotels that you are hoping to find. Many of the "luxury" hotels in the Canadian rockies are historic hotels, and splendid, but many bathrooms are small, as are some rooms. Neither the Banff Springs or the Chateau Lake Louise are noisy. They are solid buildings with thick walls. I would recommend a deluxe room, rather than a standard Fairmont room, and you will be very happy. The Jasper Park Lodge does have some very small, thin walled rooms. But again, avoid the standard rooms, and you will be thrilled. Fairmont actually has a package that includes stays at all 3 of these hotels.

If you are looking for more modern accomidations, book at the Rimrock in Banff and the Post Hotel in Lake Louise. The Fairmont is really the only game in town in Jasper for Luxury accomidations. The Jr Suites are great if you can afford it - late July is high season and can be very busy.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:10 AM

I looked up the Fairmont package. It is pricy, but includes great hotels, all meals, and an assortment of luxury activities. There would be nothing left to plan. Starts at $6000 for two people for 6 nights (two nights in each of Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper).

http://www.fairmont.com/FA/en/CDA/Ho...3DRATE,00.html
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Have you considered a BB or Inn? There are many upscale bb/inns/lodges in this area. Take a look at www.bbcanada.com. I found the bear necessities - a suite all to yourself (no other rooms) handy to banff in canmore. It is what I would describe as "rustic luxury" http://www.bearnecessitiesbb.com/location.html

Also I found the Painted lodge/Creekhouse which offers two fully detached private accommodations.
http://www.paintboxlodge.com/index2.php

There is no shortage of restaurants in banff and canmore.