Reload this Page >

a weekend trip boston or toronto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:52 AM
heather

Three girls in their mid 20's want to have some fun Thanksgiving weekend. We can't decide, we were thinking Toronto or Boston. Any other suggestions would be welcomed. THANKS

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM
penny

Toronto would cetrtainly be a lot of fun. There is great shopping, good hotels and lin=vely nightlife. Also if you are coming from the US your dollar is worth 1.50 CDN.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 10:55 AM
heather

Thank you for your response.<BR>We can't decide where to stay. We were looking at the Sutton or the Fairmont.<BR>Any suggestions?<BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Susan

Ok, what Thanksgiving - American or Canadian? Our is in October, the American in November. I would imagine that the weather would be fairly similar in both places. Toronto would definitely be cheaper than Boston in any case.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Leslie

If you're coming to Boston for the US Thanksgiving, the only things that will be open are restaurants and movie theatres in the late afternoon. Some stores like Walmart might open if they get a special license to open that day. So, if that is your weekend, I'd go to Toronto when businesses, museums, etc. are open.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 07:01 PM
penny

If you want a reasonably priced hotel in TO check out the Colony on Chestnut. Also this week we stayed at the Comfort Suites at Dundas and Jarvis. It was about $100 but the room slept 6 (2 Queen beds and a pull out couch) It also had a microwave, coffee maker and a fridge. The hotel also has a pool and a fitness centre. It is about 3 blocks from the Eaton Centre and subway to everywhere. <BR>We went to Greektown, Chinatown, Kensington Market and shopped til we dropped. We also went ot MAC cosmetics on Queen St. W. and had our faces beautified by a professional - it was a hoot! We rode subway, busses, streetcars and taxis - we didn't get the car out of the parking lot until we left.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Brian Kilgore

Between the Farimont Royal York and Sutton Place, pick the Royal York.<BR><BR>In fact, skip Sutton Place. It's not the hotel for 3 girls in their mid-twenties. Sheraton Centre, Hilton, Marriott Eaton Centre, Holiday Inn on King (prehaps your best bet because it is in themiddle of the entertainment district) are all livlier, more fun, etc.<BR><BR>Send your parents to Sutton Place, which is a fine hotel in most other ways.<BR><BR>But the Fairmont REoyal York would be a good choice.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:06 AM
kate

I agree with Brian's recommendations regarding hotels close to nightlife (although the Marriott Toronto Eaton Centre is perhaps the least convenient of the group). The Sheraton, Royal York and Marriott Eaton Centre benefit from being linked directly to the underground shopping/subway tunnels (which are very safe and clean) - so if the weather is nasty (unlikely in November but you never know), you can avoid the weather. The Cambridge Suites might also be a good option for a group (Yonge and Richmond). And if you need a budget option, check out the Quality Hotel on Bloor Street East - cheap - and right in the middle of the university district. Don't forget to visit the Bata Shoe museum. <BR><BR>Everyone will tell you that the shopping is great - and that you should visit Yorkville, Holt Renfrew (and the Eaton Centre for chain stores). For something different, visit Wenches & Rogues (Yorkville or College St W), Price Roman on Queen St West(gorgeous, beautifully made & inexpensive evening wear/suits - eg for black tie events or weddings) and Comrags (West of Bathurst on Queen St W). Femme de Carriere (several branches) is good for work clothes (suits etc).

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Paul

I'm staying at the Best western Metro Inn on Kingston Rd. on the 20th and 21st. Is this a good downtown location?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:33 PM
carol

The Homewood B&B is one of the best value stays in TO. It has a third floor 2-bedroom suite with kitchen. Full english breakfast is included. It is within walking distance of Cabbagetown, Chinatown, Eaton Centre, St. Lawrence market, Kensington market, conservatory, gay district, etc.<BR><BR>If you want to stay near party central, look for something closer to Queen Street.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:40 PM
xxx

I live in Montreal, so the distance between Boston and Toronto are pretty much the same. I would say no contest: Boston if you are American and Boston if you are Canadian. Maybe its just a bias since I am from Montreal, but why go to a poor imitation of a large American city, when you can go to a real one. A nice one too!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:12 PM
abouthotels

Paul- I'm afraid that the Best Western on Kingston Rd is actually in Scarborough (technically Toronto) and, depending on traffic, is at least a good 20 minute drive to downtown. Scarborough may not be the best place to stay if you want to see Toronto- it is more of an urban suburb and not very attractive. I don't mean to sound negative about your trip- just thought you should know so you won't be surprised. It may be worth it to try and change hotels to somewhere more central- downtown can be expensive but you'll save on gas and parking, not to mention the aggravation of rush hour traffic.