Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Extra day between Victoria and Tofino - do Salt Spring Isand or drive thru Cowichan Valley?

Extra day between Victoria and Tofino - do Salt Spring Isand or drive thru Cowichan Valley?

Aug 12th, 2002, 08:32 AM
ginny

We are spending our first 4 nights on Vancouver Island in Victoria (3 nights) and Sooke (Sooke Harbor House Inn). We have 3 nights left after that. The last 2 are booked at Wickinnish in Tofino. I left one day/night in between Sooke and Tofino.

Should we drive up thru Cowichan Valley/Malahat/Duncan etc. and stay along the way? Or does anyone recommend taking the ferry to Salt Spring Island for that day and night, and then head to Tofino early the next day? (In other words, we would miss the Malahat - Cowichan Valley area). Which area is better to see?

Thanks a lot again!!!

Aug 12th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Lynne

hi Ginny:
If you like quaintness and arts and
craftiness plus great scenery - go
to Saltspring - lots of great B&B's
and good restaurants. The other
drive is kinda ho-hum and traffic
ridden. You'll see so much scenery
on the westcoast and the Island I
don't think you'll miss the Malahat
much!

Just my personal opinion!

Aug 12th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Michele

The Malahat includes spectacular scenery for the passenger to gaze at but, in my experience, the driver misses it because the route demands the entire attention of the person operating the car! At the northern end of the drive, you come into an area of farms and cheese factories and cider makers and wineries -- nice places to visit -- but you would also be able to catch these driving from the ferry landing (at Crofton) from Salt Spring Island (Vesuvius) ... Guess it all depends on how much time you want to spend amongst the farms and wineries vs. perusing the art galleries and natural beauty of Salt Spring ...

Aug 12th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Ginny

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I decided to go to Salt Spring Island via the Crofton ferry - that way we can at least drive thru the Malahat area. The island sounds a little more interesting to us. We are staying over at Anne's Ocean Hideaway. Looking forward to it. Anyone have dinner recommendations?

Aug 13th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Cindy

I don't know about fine dining on Saltspring, but I can recommend the food at the Vesuvius Pub, which is right by the ferry dock as you come in from Crofton. I've been raving about their food on this site. It's a very casual pub, but somehow they manage to make the best pub food I've ever had. Their french fries are out of this world, and they make incredible salads and nachos.

Aug 13th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Michele

If you're up for a real "splurge," try Hastings House (reservations required) ... I was there a couple of weeks ago, and it was a fabulous experience ... the service was impeccably professional and competent -- but NOT stuffy, the setting was gorgeous (beautiful gardens and waterfront view of Ganges Harbour), the food was flawless. It was, however, pricey -- something like $85 CND per person for the five-course meal. Alternatively, I've heard great things about House Piccolo (never been there, though) ... Calvin's has always been a winner for us ... Every meal has been well-prepared and high-quality. And, if the weather is nice, they've got a great deck overlooking the Harbour.

Aug 16th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Ginny

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Ginny