A week in Newfoundland - where / what

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week in Newfoundland - where / what

We are planning a trip to Newfoundland in mid September for about a week. It's the last province in Canada we have yet to visit and so we would like to get a sense of the place and the people. We would like to see St. John's and then spend maybe 4 or 5 days touring to see fishing villages and the great scenery we hear about. We don't want to spend all our time driving long distances. We like to stay in good quality small hotels or inns. So we need help with a suggested itinerary, where to stay etc. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 06:19 PM

With a week to play with and no desire to do long drives I would suggest staying on the Avalon Peninsula and doing the compleate circuit staying in a few different places as you make you way around. September is no longer high season so accomodation will be no trouble at all. I think you may be late for whales and seabird colonies. The archeological site at Ferryland is worth a visit. Exactly where you should stay will depend on any special interests that you have an your own tastes.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Galiano,

I will reply at length later but wanted to offer a couple of thoughts. Since wildlife viewing is obviously not a priority for you I would suggest St. John's as you have noted then perhaps north a bit to the Trinity area and Cape Bonavista. Historic and scenic.
Another nearby area a bit further north is the Estport Peninsula. Salvage is one of the prettiest little villages in the province, I think.

We just returned from our 8th or 9th visit to the island and still enjoy it every time.

Jerry
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:36 AM

I assume you are flying and renting a car?

We just came back from Newfoundland and entered the province at Port Aux Basques, toured Gros Morne, crossed the Province to St. John's, travelled to Twillingate and then back to Port Aux Basques. 3,100 kms. The drive across the Province will take you the better part of a day if you want to stop for breaks. I agree with the previous posts, stay in and around St. John's and do some day trips from there. While in st. John's, make sure you eat at Velma's - great home cooking! Located on Water St.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM

As others have mentioned, you would be best to stick to St. John's and the Avalon Peninsula. However,within a week or so you could manage a couple of days on the Bonavista Peninsula, visiting Trinity and Bonavista. Stay overnight in Trinity, or better still,at the Fishers' Loft Inn in nearby Port Rexton.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Syv

I agree to see St. John's area, Cape Spear, Bonavista, Terra Nova park. There are many little roads for daily adventures on the Avalon peninsula.

My trip report was just posted under the heading "Maritimes to NYC" including Nfld.

We had a wonderful B&B stay at "Oh What A View" B&B right on Signal Hill, & highly recommend it. The separate cottage is nice with amazing views of the harbour.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Well thank you all for your replies. Now we have something to work with and will explore your ideas on tne net.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:21 AM

And while in St. John's, don't forget to take in a trip to Cabot Tower; out to Cape Spear (the most easterly point in North America)and walk up to the lighthouse and also see the WWII guns, cruise the harbour on Harbour Charters, and maybe even go down and take in a whale watching trip. If you do you can buy some canned moose, flipper pie and other goodies enroute.

There's a fabulous new geology centre on Signal Hill which shouldn't be missed. If you like climbing, ask about climbing down Signal on the Narrows side and visit the caves -- it's a difficult climb and not advertised.

There's also a fabulous underwater centre in Pippy Park (Fluvarium) which is really interesting.
And don't forget a Jiggs Dinner on Sunday and maybe some 'toutons' along with it.

Near to St. John's is Bell Island and if the theatrical group is still doing their trip over, don't miss it.

Enjoy - St. John's is lovely.

By the way - don't forget a warm sweater and a rain coat as the weather in September can be gorgeous or freezing depending on Mother Nature's whim!