A Day in Victoria

Search

A Day in Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Day in Victoria

We plan to take the Victoria Express from Port Angeles WA on July 26 and return the same day. The earliest ferry would get us to Victoria around 9 AM and we would have to catch the return ferry by 6:15 PM. We plan to take the public bus to Butchart Gardens arriving around 9:30 and returning to Victoria by 1:30 PM. We would then go to the Royal BC Museum for two hours, leaving 4-6 PM for Victoria explore. We would purchase take out to eat on the ferry return. Please make suggested changes to this schedule or give other advice on a one day in Victoria. The Paupers
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM

I think your plans sound fine and should fill your day nicely. You might make it back to town from Butchart Gardens before 1:30. I would expect to spend two or three hours there.

Food is expensive at Butchart's. There are cheaper places to grab a bite in town. There is the Dutch Bakery on Fort St. between Douglas and Blanshard for regular fare such as inexpensive cheeseburgers, salads, breakfast all day, plus good milkshakes and an assortment of desserts; Broughton Street Deli on Broughton St. between Government for a good tuna sandwich on rye and peanut butter cookies; stirfry in The Bay Centre (top floor) food court, to name a few. There is also a cafe in the museum.

http://www.goforlunch.com/dutchbakery/
http://broughtonstreetdeli.com/menu.html
http://www.thebaycentre.ca/store/index.ch2
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:08 AM
vsd

jrbnrnc - which public bus will you be taking? We will be there in July also and will be taking the Victoria Clipper over for an overnight trip but are trying to find cheaper ways to get to Butchart Gardens rather than a tour bus. Thanks.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM

The best way to go to Butchart Gardens is not the public bus. There is a bus from the PCL station (just behind the Empress) that runs more or less like a shuttle. I don't know what the schedule is this year but it runs often (at least once an hour) and the fare used to be $6 each way. It has probably gone up a bit but it is still the best way to go to the gardens. Don't get confused with a PCL tour - they do have a separate shuttle.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM

I just checked the schedule and the shuttle runs every 1/2 hour in the summer months. The number for them is 800-663-8390.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:36 AM
vsd

Yes I called that number and she said there is a Butchart Gardens Express bus that is $15 rd trip and runs every 45 min in the summer months so looks like we will use that one. Takes about 30 min and is not a "tour" bus. Admission to gardens she said is $26.50.