5 day itinerary for Vancouver

Old Jun 20th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 day itinerary for Vancouver

My husband and I, both seniors, will be visiting Vancouver from October 7 to 11. We will not have a car. Our lodging is at the Vancouver Westin. Would like some suggestions for a 5 day itinerary that will maximize our time while keeping the amount of walking that needs to be done at a minimum. We can walk, but require places to rest. Our interests would include the popular highly-rated sites, anything featuring the outdoors, perhaps a museum or two, and notable tours. Thank you for your assistance.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 03:28 PM

I’ve visited Vancouver several times in the last 10 years and have never needed a car. The transit system is very good.

Stanley Park should be on your itinerary, of course. There is a bus that makes a circuit of the park and you can get on and off as you wish. I think if there is a charge it is minimal, but it can get crowded at peak times. There are benches here and there along the seawall so I would recommend a stroll along some of it.

I would highly recommend the Museum of Anthropology for its wonderful native artifacts and art as well as it’s lovely setting on the UBC campus. You can get there by bus but may need to make a transfer.

I always like to recommend the ferry ride to Bowen Island (although if you are in Vancouver in conjunction with a cruise perhaps it wouldn’t be a priority.) Take the express bus to Horseshoe bay for the ferry. It takes about 45 minutes as I recall and the scenery is beautiful. On the island there is a short main street (uphill) where you can browse the shops and get something to eat.

On lively Granville Island there are lots of benches and tables outside where you can sit and watch buskers, or just the bustle of people enjoying themselves. Lots of food stalls so you won’t go hungry.

The cable car up Grouse Mountain is fun, and there are often outdoor shows to be enjoyed.

I’ve never taken a tour in Vancouver so can,t help you there, but it is a very outdoor city, so I’m sure you won’t be lacking in ways to enjoy yourself.
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 04:56 PM

I have a trip report from a few years back that still holds up I believe:

http://www.fodors.com/community/cana...rip-report.cfm

We head back to Vancouver in two weeks so I am looking forward to expanding on things we missed.

Have a great trip!