3 weeks in Canada July/August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be first time visitors to Canada, thinking of a 3 week trip in the summer. People have told us Vancouver area is lovely (but I've relatives in Toronto area, so visit there might be in order?). 2 adults travelling with 2 teens (oldest will be 17). We're not fussed about cities (see enough of those all year) and crave beautiful big outdoors. Love some advice on what to do/itinerary. I know I'm asking a lot, but am clueless at the moment.
Thanks.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Lucky you, three weeks will make for a wonderful holiday. My husband and I frequently vacation in Canada. Our favorite area hands down is the Canadian Rockies, Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Field area. Two frequent posters on this board, bob brown and Judy in Calgary, have put a great deal of useful information here. Start your planning by doing a word search on their names and you will find a gold mine. Travel safely.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 05:02 AM
BAK

Where are you coming from? That matters.

And Canada is a big country.

You might fly to Toronto, stay a couple of days, and then fly to Calgary. Rent a cr, drive through the mountains to Vancouver. That will give you a lot of big outdoors, anchored by two great cities.

Fly home from Vancouver.

Or reverse. Vancouver to Calgary by car, fly to Toronto, fly home.

BAK
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

We are from London, England. Hoping to book flights soon with Zoom, as have been told they're the cheapest
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Hello klar,

Please feel free to look at my web site about Calgary, the Canadian Rockies, Vancouver and Victoria:

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...kiesTravelTips

The sample itineraries will give you an idea of what you can accomplish in your allotted time. The TIPS section has links to practical information about Weather, What To Pack, National Park Entry Fees, Driving Distances and Times, sources of <b>free</b> maps and travel guides, etc. Because the weather in the mountains is very fickle, I consider &quot;What To Pack&quot; to be an important topic.

Here are some other logistical considerations:

<b>Open jaws versus circular itinerary</b>

Although open jaws (into one city out of another city) is the most efficient way to see the Rockies, in most cases it does mean that you incur a one-way drop off fee on your rental car. Picking up and dropping off in the same city generally is cheaper.

But doing a circular drive does put a dent in your time, and I don't think you'd be able to afford that extra dent in the time you have available for the Western Canada portion of your trip if you're going to be including a stop in Toronto.

Another thing to consider is that the math(s) changes depending on the number of travellers in the party. If you divide the drop off fee amongst 4 people, it is less expensive per person than if you are dividing it between only 2 people.

<b>Direction of travel</b>

If you don't have any particular preferences with respect to the direction in which you travel, it would pay you to compare air fares and car rentals if you start in City A and end in City B versus starting in City B and ending in City A. One direction sometimes is cheaper than the other direction.

In the early summer and in the autumn the direction of travel can make a difference. Vancouver warms up earlier than the Rockies and stays warm later than the Rockies. So in June I recommend starting in Vancouver and ending in the Rockies, and in September I recommend starting in the Rockies and ending in Vancouver. But in July and August the direction of travel between the Rockies and Vancouver makes no difference from a weather point of view.

More in next post ......
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:26 AM

<b>Other worthwhile things in the Calgary area:</b>

There are two things in the Calgary area that are at least worth knowing about. They are:

(1) The Calgary Stampede, an annual 10-day rodeo festival that will take place from July 8 - 17, 2006. There are some people who go out of their way to attend the Stampede, and there are other people who go out of their way to avoid the Stampede. Whichever school of thought you belong to, it's good to be aware of the Stampede's existence, so you can plan accordingly. (Even if you don’t want anything to do with Stampede, do be aware that it increases demand on Calgary hotels, and it has a spill-over effect on accommodation in the mountains as well.) If you know nothing about Stampede and want my opinion about it, I do think Stampede is fun. Calgary has a very festive atmosphere during Stampede. I like to think Calgary is a friendly city at any time of year, but it’s particularly relaxed during Stampede.

(2) The Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology in Drumheller, between 1.5 hours and 2 hours drive east of Calgary. Afer the Rockies, the Tyrrell is the next best thing that this area has to offer, in my opinion. The dinosaur skeletons are just amazing. The summer crowds do detract from the experience, however. If you are forced to go in July or August, it's better to go Monday through Thursday. If you must go Friday through Sunday, it's best to go right at opening time in the morning or else between 6 pm and 9 pm.

More .......
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your wonderfully detailed information. Unfortunately, I cannot open link to your website (not sure what problem is).
Have decided to skip relatives in Toronto, and confine trip to Vancouver area...or should that be Calgary area?
As I said, it's countryside we're after, though have been told Vancouver is beautiful city.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:37 AM

<b>Airlines</b>

Zoom travels from the UK to Canada, but not within Canada. For internal flights in Canada, you might compare Air Canada, Westjet and Canjet.

<b>Car rental</b>

Here are some car rental companies that I have not used myself but about which I've heard good things from UK travellers:

www.kasbah.com

www.uk-carhire-company.co.uk

www.wheelsabroad.com

www.autoeurope.ca

www.carhiredirect.co.uk

With those companies, you get cars from the big name car rental companies, but at a discount.

I've seen a bad report about

www.cheap-car-rental.com

The person who reported the negative experience with Cheap Car Rental said that, when he took his pre-paid voucher to the Thrifty counter to pick up his rental car, Thrifty would not honour it. They said that Cheap Car Rental had not been paying them, so they were not handing over cars to customers who had booked through Cheap Car Rental.

That said, Cheap Car Rental did refund the customer the money he had paid to them when he got back home and lodged a claim. Still, that didn't entirely compensate for the surprise of having to produce his credit card to take delivery of a car that he thought had been pre-paid.

<b>Accommodation in the Rockies</b>

Accommodation in the Canadian Rockies tends to be expensive. The reason is that building in the mountain national parks is restricted. The growth of the resort towns is controlled by the federal government.

You can find slightly cheaper accommodation in Canmore than you can find in Banff and Lake Louise. The reason is that Canmore is just outside of Banff National Park, and doesn't have the same restrictions on its growth.

When it comes to Jasper, there really is no substitute for staying in or close to Jasper town site. Jasper East (near the east gates of Jasper National Park) and Hinton (well outside of the national park) are not central enough to be convenient bases for sight seeing in Jasper National Park, IMO.

However, Jasper has several quite reasonably priced home accommodations. They are like B&amp;Bs, but without breakfast (but often with kitchens). Two that have received excellent reviews on this forum are Crayston's and 105 Patricia Street. At Crayston's all 4 of you would share a room, but at 105 Patricia Street you and your spouse would be able to have a separate bedroom.

Some of the accommodations in Lake Louise and Jasper stipulate minimum stays of 2 or 3 nights. The cancellation policies also tend to be strict -- anywhere from 48 hours to 14 days! So do read the small print.

<b>Public holidays</b>

In addition to being particularly booked up during Stampede, mountain accommodations also tend to be particularly booked up during holiday long weekends. July 1st is Canada Day, and that weekend always is especially busy in the mountains. The first Monday of August (in this case August 7th) also is a public holiday, and that weekend too will be especially busy.

But, even without the extra demand during holiday weekends, July and August are busy months for tourism. You would be well advised to get your accommodation booked by March - April, and in my opinion it would not be overkill to get your mountain accommodation lined up by January - February.

Well, klar, that's probably more than enough information for you to absorb for now.

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:41 AM

Ontario has lots to see outside of cities - your relatives will be able to help - see www.ontariotravel.net; Uf you venture west to British Columbia see www.travel.bc.ca; for Alberta travelalberta.com.

If you do get to Vancouver, take the ferry to Victoria and then go &quot;up island&quot;.

It doesn't take too long to get away from cities in Canada and see wilderness.

There's a train which goes from Toronto's Union Station to Moosonee which is on a salt water river leading to James Bay. It's largely a native community, as is Moose Factory across the river - there's a lot of history there - I've done it - you stay a day or so there, no longer. See www.ontc.on.ca and www.polarbearexpress.com (there aren't actually any polar bears). I would imagine most Ontarians have never seen this place.

The man showing us around at the RC Cathedral there had been a Factor in a remote community for the Hudson's Bay Company - he was living history - even married to a native woman and he was originally from Scotland, just like the factors we were taught about in history.

For polar bears you go to Churchill, Manitoba which calls itself 'the polar bear capital of the world' - they have trips where you take a vehicle out to the tundra and stay in converted school buses - the bears come right up to the windows, not that I've done it but have seen programs about it. Have a look at www.travelmanitoba.com which links to information on Churchill which is an Arctic seaport on Hudson's Bay.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Sorry, klar, I didn't see your post when I posted my previous message.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Thank you for your wonderfully detailed information.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

You're welcome.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Unfortunately, I cannot open link to your website (not sure what problem is).&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Yes, I too have found it slow this morning. I too don't know what the problem is. However, the site is not down. It is functioning.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Have decided to skip relatives in Toronto, and confine trip to Vancouver area...or should that be Calgary area?&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Well, I wouldn't really recommend either the Vancouver area on its own or the Calgary area on its own. The ideal, I think is to start in one, work your way through the Rockies, and then depart from the other.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;As I said, it's countryside we're after, though have been told Vancouver is beautiful city.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

What you've been told is true. Vancouver is not just another city. It has a great deal of natural space within the confines of the city, and it's set in a beautiful spot with the ocean on one side of it and mountains on the other side of it.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:15 AM
ltt

well, since you are coming from england and have reason to be in toronto for a visit, i'd suggest you focus on the east coast for this trip. fly into toronto, visit with your relatives for 2 nights. then rent a car and head out towards nova scotia. wonderful places to see there: halifax (3+ nights- the waverley inn is in a great location), digby area (2-3 nights), northern nova scotia (pictou area is beautiful with nice beaches, pretty warm water 3 nights) cape bretton (can easily spend 3-5 nights there). on the way back to toronto, you could take the ferry from digby, nova scotia to saint john, new brunswick. if time, spend a night or two in niagara falls before you return to the relatives in toronto for one night and fly home. have fun.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Hi klar,

I think it's wise you've already decided to limit yourself to the West with 3 weeks for your first visit to Canada....relatives in TO or not!

I love Vancouver Island, especially the Pacific Rim area, though there is much to discover all over the island.

Of the mountain destinations, Jasper is a particular favourite and less visited by tourists than Banff. I'm with Judy in recommending both the Calgary Stampede for a wonderful experience of the both Canadian first nations culture and the &quot;Wild West&quot;. The Tyrell Museum for world famous exhibits of dinosaurs is amazing as well, and only a short drive from Calgary.

Depending on your teen's likes, you might have to fit in a visit to the West Edmonton Mall for some shopping.

Vancouver is not to be missed, but as mentioned, Vancouver can still be an &quot;outdoors&quot; destination despite the fact it's a large city with a population of over half a million. It is simply beautiful, and offers much in the way of natural museums and art galleries as well as well as green space.

I'd try and see an exhibit of Emily Carr's at the Vancouver Art Gallery for a unique vision of British Columbia. And art posters are very easy to take home for souvenirs too....my teens have always loved picking them up on travels.

You're sure to have a fabulous trip, whatever the route you take. Just read as much as you can here and elsewhere, and book the busier destinations as early as possible.

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - No, we've decided not to go to Toronto this trip, but to concentrate on Vancouver/Calgary/Rockies
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Sorry TobieT, was replying to previous mail, not yours!
Am getting v excited about trip now, has quite taken my mind off Christmas (hooray)
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 09:46 AM
BAK

Klar,

The best bet in the west is to go to Calgary and Vancouver, and the area inbetween. If time permits, go to Vancouver Island (the capital city, Victoria, is there, along with huge forests and very wild Pacific Ocean coast.

As you plan more, consider going to Seattle, in Washington State, too.

British Columbia and Alberta are the farthest you can get physically, and in other intellectual and geographic landforms ways from England.

Don't let the fact that VVancouver and Calgary are cities deter you.They are both great places, and have major &quot;big outdoors&quot; components to them.

Judy makes a good point about following the weather. The warmer the better in Banff, Lake Lousse and Japser.

Check your travel schedul;e against the Calgary STampede. This is a giant rodeo, and much, much more. You'll never forget it, if you attend, but Calgary prices are higher during the Stampede, and it is hard to get good hotels.

I usually skip advice to grownups if there are kids involved. Just let the adults follow the kids.

I think all British kids are like Harry and Ron and Hermone (except she can at least spell her own name) Give us info ont he children and their interests, and we can offer advice. Dinosaurs at Drumheller, near Calgary, for instance. Or whalle watching, or deep sea fishing, or native Indian culture, or rock climbing, or...

BAK

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for marvellous advice - The children will be 17 and 14. The 17 year old loves to shop (we want to take her away from all that!) but is studying geography, French and history, so should find plenty to interest her (though I believe this is the wrong side of Canada for French) The younger one (male) is fascinated by wildlife, and loves to swim and hike. We don't want to spend too long in the car, so just driving past scenery isn't a good idea - Wish we had longer than 3 weeks!
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:22 AM

You are so lucky to have three weeks. A lot of folks try to do the area in one or two. You will really have a great opportunity. Your son will love the wildlife viewing options in the Rockies, we have seen mountain goats, bears (grizzly and black/brown), Dall sheep, eagles, oh the list goes on. Your daughter can find the greatest shopping adventure ever in Vancouver. Looks like something for everyone. Have a wonderful visit.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM

I want to cast a vote for taking the 14yo to the &quot;World's Largest Shopping Mall (for the time being)&quot; in Edmonton, Alberta.

Even if you don't want her to do so much shopping, I cannot imaging coming all the way from England and not seeing the spectacle that is at www.westedmall.com.

You will easily be able to fill your 3 weeks in Canada's most southwestern provinces and the natural beauty there will offer great contrast to the spectacle that I swear your 14yo daughter must see!

Calgary to Edmonton is less than 200 miles and both are reasonable distance to the stunning Canadian Rockies.

British Columbia is 1 and 1/3 the size of Texas, USA so no question there is some ground to cover there too. Thankfully much of the extreme northern part doesn't have many destinations.

Vancouver is an amazing city that has been winning awards for livability in recent years. Vanc. has it all with water, mountains, and all of the amenities suitable for a large population center. You can drive 10 or 15 minutes away from midtown and get to the foot of a mountain where you pay to take a gondola up the side to the awesome viewpoint on top!

I think you should start right now with tempting the 14yo with the &quot;West Edmonton Mall&quot; (www.westedmall.com). Heck, even the sign at the entrance that says &quot;you are here&quot;, and which lists all of the stores, is mind-boggling.

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 06:01 PM

You have had a lot thrown at you so far. I can add a bit, too. But I think it would be repetitive.

I will add this: The Canadian Rockies for me are a magnet. They draw me back year after year. We were there last summer for one more visit.

Of the various places to visit, I strongly recommend a slow drive up and down the Icefields Parkway, taking as many of the side hikes as you can.

Let recommend The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson. It is excellent. If you have read any of the Swiss trail guides by Kev Reynolds, I will venture to say that this one is better.

Another fantastic book on the Rockies is the book by Ben Gadd: Handbook of the Canadian Rockies. It has a geology section that is fantastic and it also includes guides to all the wildlife and the plants. If Ben left anything out, I really don't know what it is.

On rental cars, I suggest checking Enterprise. It offered me the best prices last year. It is slightly off airport, but it runs a frequent shuttle bus to its rental center about 4 miles away.

The Calgary airport is located just east of due north from the city center.
There are several good hotels just off the Barlow Trail, perhaps 4 to 5 miles south of the airport. The Barlow trail is the main highway to the airport. It is a quick trip from the hotels around 32nd street and the Barlow Trail because the route is free of clutter.

After you decide where you want to go, we can get down to the details of a daily battle plan! In your thinking, you might wish to include the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology in Drumheller. There is no place I know of quite like it.

I will say this much: I have visited eastern Canada, and enjoyed it. But nothing east of Alberta draws me like the Rockies.

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM

klar

Like you we are visiting Canada for the 1st time in June from the UK and I have had some brilliant tips off the regular contributors to this forum....thanks guys.

We are flying to Calgary, staying 3 nights in Canmore, 2 in Jasper, 1 undecided 1 in Vancouver. Picking up an NCL Cruiseship to Alaska. At the end of the cruise I am picking up another car taking the ferry to Vancouver Island and spending 2 nights in Victoria.

We will then return to Vancouver lose the car and book the last 3 nights in a Vancouver Hotel before flying home. So nearly sorted now just 4 nights to book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -