2 weeks camping around Nova Scotia

Old Sep 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks camping around Nova Scotia

We are a family of two adults and two children (one teen and one youngster) and we will be camping our way through New England and Nova Scotia in summer 2011. We only have two weeks to see Nova Scotia, which we fear is not nearly enough, but we're hoping to come up with an itinerary that gives us a feel for the place. We will be camping in a popup, and we enjoy moderate, child-friendly hikes, history, national parks, and wildlife. We'd also like to spend a day or two visiting Halifax if there is a campground somewhere nearby.
Thanks in advance for any help with our itinerary!
Right now our plan is to drive in from St. John.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Aside from the people who can speak to the quality and location of individual campgrounds, you'll probably get more help if you propose a draft itinerary that people can respond to.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

OK, thanks --
Here's what we've got so far:
Days 1 & 2: Fundy National Park
Days 3 & 4: Glenholme
Days 5 & 6: Inverness
Days 7 & 8: Cheticamp
Day 9: Meat Cove
Days 10 & 11: Bras d'or
Days 12 & 13: Halifax
Day 14: Wolfville

From there we'd head to somewhere in New Brunswick (Moncton?) and then on to Bar Harbor and Portland.

I haven't included the southern part of Nova Scotia, which we'd like to see, and I'm a little concerned about pulling our popup camper along the Cabot trail, although I'd love to camp in Meat Cove. Any suggestions would be very welcome!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Also, if anyone could recommend campgrounds they particularly like, we'd appreciate that as well.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Years ago we took our sons camping around Cabot Trail. Just outside of Cheticamp is the Cape Breton Highlands National Park where there is a campground with open and wooded sites. It was very nice and convenient to Cheticamp. I notice Wolfville on your list. The closest campground I know close to Wolfville is on Evangeline Beach in Grand Pre. It is privately owned but Evangeline Beach is on the Bay of Fundy so a great place to experience the high and low tides. Even though it is only minutes from the National Park from where the Acadians were expelled, I am surprised that the surrounding area is a bit shabby. Not having experienced the campground, it might be fine. Driving to the campsite you will travel over the dykes the Acadians built over 200 years ago.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
LJ

You haven't mentioned the South Shore, but with 2 weeks you could easily manage the Unesco World Heritage site of Lunenburg and on to Mahone Bay-Peggy's Cove area (the Lighthouse Route). There is a campsite right in the town of Lunenburg, high up on the hill, above the picturesque harbour and overlooking the back bay area, very pretty.

My other favourite area for camping is on the Fundy Shore...there is a charming beach-side campsite, privately owned and very well-run, near Parrsboro, Nova Scotia. You would have ring-side seats to the most amazing tidal activity. Also close to Cape d'Or and the best lighthouse-restaurant with spectacular views: there is a campsite at the entrance to Cape D'Or or if your kids are into sea-kayaking go a little further toward Chignecto National Park.

If your young people are into fossils, dinosaurs etc, this area also has a lot to offer.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 04:35 PM

What is the special attraction of Meat Cove to you? I wonder if you would be better off making that a very easy day trip from Cheticamp along with other places as well.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 09:45 AM

In Inverness I would highly recommend Inverness Beach Village for camping. The beach is amazing and the sites for a pop up tent I believe have an ocean view and the sunsets are divine. Also an excellent beach near to this is at West Mabou Road at the Provincial Park there.
There is a campground near Dartmouth that gives you good access to Halifax and area. I have not camped there but it sounded good.
I have stayed ( and lived ) extensively in NS and I personally wouldnt rate the Parsboro or Eastern Shore as top places to visit.
So that you wouldnt have to spend all your days in the car, I would camp near Halifax and do a day trip or two to your choices of Peggys Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg with a stop for a swim at Long Lake Provincial Park.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, MikeBuckley, Scotia, LJ, & irecommend!
We were thinking about Meat Cove because of this website: http://www.vacation-nova-scotia-tour...mpground.shtml (the pictures look amazing). But we would love to avoid the rough road leading in if it would do just as well to do the day trip from Cheticamp.
Thanks for the campground recommendations -- we're getting excited already.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Meat Cove is nice but there are lots of places that provide similar views that are quicker and easier to get to. That sort of scenery is all over Cape Breton. If it's really important for you to get there, I still recommend doing a day trip and taking the time to stop at places along the way, as my wife and I did.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks-- good to know we can get the view in other places; we were intimidated by the gravel road leading in, anyway. We'll day trip from Cheticamp as you suggested!