Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

10 days in Vancouver - any ideas or recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my third visit. I have golf, hiking, whale watching, ferries and seaplanes planned. Thinking of day trips to Vancouver Island and Okanagan Valley.
Any suggestions?
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:40 AM

The Okanagan isn't a daytrip... it's a weekend/several day getaway from Vancouver. If you haven't been, I'd highly recommend it. Explore Kelowna, Penticton and Osoyoos, and the dozens upon dozens in between them.

The Okanagan feels like another world from Vancouver. It's located in a semi-arid zone, temperatures are scorching in the summer, and the best part is that Okanagan Lake sits in the centre of the valley, snaking its way up between Penticton and to the area just south of Vernon. So if you wanted to go boating, jet-skiing, or simply relaxing on the beach, you have those options too.

If you haven't been to Vancouver Island before, I'd spend a night or two in Victoria, and then 3 nights in the Tofino/Ucluelet area.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Golfing in the Vancouver area ... Last year I played Furry Creek, on the way to Whistler. Has to be one of most scenic and challenging courses I have played. I highly recommend it.

Carmanah is right. A trip to Vancouver Island or the Okanagan would be hard to fit into a day. A day visit just to Victoria would work, though, and you probably wouldn't need to take a car across on the ferry. This would eliminate two or three ferry waits.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:05 AM

Have you visited the Museum of Anthropology? It's located in the university grounds; a bus or car trip from the city centre. I'm not normally a museum freak, but it was a rainy day, so we ventured out there. Make sure you take a guided tour - it's a fantastic way to discover some Canadian history, the guides are all ex-uni staff and very knowledgeable, and the building itself is quite spectacular.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:01 AM

I took the Gray Line Bus tour from Vancouver to Victoria. They also stop at the B. Gardens. It is a full day trip.

This summer I am taking the Island Explorer trip with www.moosenetwork.com for three days. Two nights in Tofino and one night in Victoria.

For the past five years, I have picked up a rental car in downtown Vancouver and driven up to Whistler and spent 1-3 nights. There is a lot to do up there during the summer.

Grouse Mountain just outside Vancouver is available on public transportation. I always hike up the mountain and ride down.

Wreck Beach is quite a party atmosphere at the Univ. of British Columbia. Can't be missed on a nice day.