Yellowstone compared to thermal features in NZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have a short time for a NZ holiday after finishing a business meeting there in January, so you'll be seeing some specific questions from me in narrowing down how to spend my limited time.

My first question, is what I would see in places like Rotorua similar to Yellowstone NP? Are there some thermal features in NZ that are different from those in Yellowstone that I should specifically seek out?

For context, I've been to Yellowston NP and visited the range of geysers, mudpots, etc., finding the unexpected eruptions most entertaining and seeing all the different features once quite interesting, but I wasn't one to sit to wait for geysers and haven't gone back to see the features again (the wildlife is a differnt story).

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM

Hi there, I have been to both Yellowstone ( where I spend a week camping ) and Rotorua NZ. I think that perhaps it is a little different but not so different that you should spend any time there if you are limited for time. There are many other areas that are more interesting for you and I would be going off to see those.
I am not too sure that you will find lots of different animals in NZ though as it is not known for its animals particularly. The South Island is my favourite of the two but if you are trying to get some warmth in the middle of your winter then stick to the north island and enjoy perhaps places like the Bay of Islands, wineries etc.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:43 PM

I haven't been to Yellowstone, so I can't help you with that, but how long will you be in NZ?

Lee Ann
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:34 PM
ALF

I've spent time at both Yellowstone and Rotorua/Taupo. Many of the thermal features are quite similar; geysers are much rarer in NZ, compared to the geyser basins in Yellowstone. The hot springs, mud pots, and flowstone are pretty much the same, but the settings are different enough that I think it is worth the experience. I'm told that there were many more geysers and other thermal features before they were drained away by geothermal energy exploration/production, or flooded by hydroelectric dam projects.

In particular, we liked walking around Hidden Valley (Orakei Korako). This rather extensive thermal field is a bit off the beaten track (hence the name), but it has great hiking trails, a couple of small (compared to Yellowstone) geysers, hot springs, and steam vents. Whakarewarewa is also interesting, being on the edge of Rotorua, and also containing Maori cultural exhibits. Craters of the Moon, in the Wairakai geothermal area, is very similar to some of the boardwalk paths in Yellowstone. If you feel overdosed on thermal features, I'd skip this one. The most interesting part of this spot is that it became active only in the 1960s, when geothermal energy boring disrupted the normal 'plumbing'. There are a couple of geothermal energy plants that you can tour, the ultramodern MacLachlan power station, near Taupo, and the much older Wairakei power station.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:16 PM

The short answer is yes, the geothermal features are similar. There is no large wildlife (no mammals native to NZ other than bats). The Maori Cultural Village in the Whaka park is unique, of course, and if you go there you might get lucky and also see the main geyser errupt (it doesn't have a regular schedule).
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:41 PM

Yellowstone has several massive geysers that erupt fairly predictably: Old Faithful, Grand, Castle, and about a dozen others. These are really spectacular. Rotorua has fewer and smaller geysers, and hotels and tat encroach on the scene at the Whakarewarewa site (Prince of Wales Feathers and Pohutu geysers). The more attractive To Waiotapu area has the Lady Knox geyser, which erupts on schedule--because they put soap powder down the vent. On the other hand, this area is very pleasant and well run, and its Champagne Pool is beautiful. Yellowstone has numerous pools of this kind, but they are smaller. The most active thermal area in Rotorua is the Hells Gate area, but it is mostly mud pools.

The Minerva Terraces used to be one of the most spectacular sites at Yellowstone (I saw them in 1985), but that area is now a chalky desert; Rotorua once had something similar but it was destroyed by a volcanic eruption in 1886. I found The Buried Village, which records this event, to be very interesting.

In addition to geysers, Yellowstone has its Grand Canyon and Falls, which are magnificent, and it is mostly a wilderness with elk and bears and other wildlife. Rotorua is a small town, but it has Maori cultural activities.

If you've seen Yellowstone, I think you can safely skip Rotorua unless the Maori activities have a strong appeal. On the other hand, this kind of reasoning is a slippery slope: you don't need to see the Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers, nor Mt Cook, if you've been up high in the European Alps or other major ranges, and you can skip the Fiords if seen the Norwegian ones, and...

I assume your meeting is in the North Island. If so, I enjoyed the Glow Worms at Waitomo and the scenery around Coromandel and can recommend these. I haven't been to the Northland, but that's where I'll head next time I'm there.

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:24 AM
Jed

I've seen most of the thermal areas of Yellowstone and Rotorua. Yes, they are similar - but also different.

Thay are like elephants or glaciers. They are always enjoyable, no matter how many you see. But if you don't have the time, you can skip it. The question then becomes, given your time restraints, is there something else that would be more interesting to you?
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. This is the kind of information that will help me make those hard decisions of what to see on this trip. Tops on my list when time is limited in a new location for me is to see whatever is unique, then fill in what I can from natural beauty, then local culture and architecture. From my research thus far, Maori culture, some birds and trees are unique so should be sought out. I keep reading about the glow worms, so that sounds different. If any time remains I will fill in what I can from the mountains/glaciers (since I always love to see them), perhaps thermal features, sheep farms, etc.

I'll post some more specific questions as I continue my research. I don't want to be too vague in my requests for help.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I am one of the Geyser Gazers that you might encounter at YNP - one of those people who sits at Grand Geyser and waits four or five hours for the eruption. I have also iisited New Zealand and spent several full days visiting the different geothermal features on the North Island.

I would really urge you to visit as many of the geyser areas as possible.

We visited Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland where the most famous feature is the Lady Knox Geyser. It is manipulated into eruption by pouring soap into the cone. There are a great number of gorgeous pools including Champagne Pool. The mud pots are magnificent (I hate to say this) even better than the ones at Yellowstone's Fountain Paint Pots or Artist Paint Pots.

We also visited Orakei Korako Geyserland (AKA the Hidden Valley). Diamond geyser is just gorgeous when it erupts; other highlights included the Emerald Terrace.

The Waimangu Volcanc Valley was amazing. The Pink and White Terraces were here until the earthquake in 1886. Frying Pan Lake was awesome. You can hike along trails and then take a cruise on the lake that was created as a result of the earthquake.

The Whakarewarewa Thermal Area, on the edge of Rotorua has been developed by the Maoris; you can learn a lot about the culture there. Do not miss the cooking pot where enemies were cooked.

Hell's Gate was great. You can actually bathe in some of the pools. It has a hot water fall and a geyser in the shape of Australia.

The Craters of the Moon was also fascinating.

Have a great time. Let me know if you need more information.