Reload this Page >

Worried about daughter's travel plans to India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 08:20 AM
Gail White

My 23 year old daughter and a girl friend have planned a 6 weeks trip to India in September/October. I am worried about her safety because of sanitation concerns, lack of readily available contact with home <BR>, and foremost, the nuclear developments. She has been traveling for almost a year so is somewhat "seasoned" but you know mothers! Has anyone experieced such a trip that could reassure me or give me tips to share with her?

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 02:45 PM
sheetal

Your daughter should not have any problems as long as she stays out of the Kashmir area and drinks bottled water. <BR> <BR>She should eat only cooked food. <BR> <BR>The sanctions have no effects on tourism in India. <BR>Hope she has a great time!

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 01:11 PM
Jo

I'm a 27 year old female who also could be described as 'seasoned' in the travelling stakes, having been on many 'extended' trips around the world. I spent one month in Inda a couple of years ago (travelling around mainly Rajasthan, also Agra and Varanasi). I know how you feel because my mum has exactly the same worries each time I go away! Rest assured, I found India absolutely fascinating and encountered no trouble - in fact felt much safer than most European countries, had a fantastic trip, had no sanitary problems (once used to the 'not so western' toilet arrangements), and had no dodgy 'tummy' problems at all! I would highly recommend a trip to anyone - India caters for all types of travellers/tourists with different interests, budgets, interests etc. Whilst there I visited some unforgettable places - temples, ancient cities, markets, and experienced a diverse range of people and cultures - including camel treking in the Thar desert - sleeping on the sand dunes next to the camels (not to be missed!). Despite being crowded, and often getting the usual hassle to 'go somewhere, buy something, stay somewhere etc' the people were lovely and it felt very safe. I loved it so much I'm returning for a couple of months in 3 weeks time (the start of 'yet another' trip - as my mum would say!!) - this time I'm heading south for the beaches and some wildlife parks. Keeping in touch is also relatively cheap and very easy (India caters extremely well for the budget traveller) - so no doubt you will be able to keep in touch. Hope your daughter enjoys herself, and don't worry!!!

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 02:05 PM
Penelope

India is probably no more dangerous a place to travel than any other place in the world, in spite of horrendous traffic, hordes of people, and more problematic living/eating circumstances than in the West. I've been there many times and have traveled on my own, with no bad experiences (except the snake charmer who so much wanted my business that he chased me down the street, waving the cobra). India is an easy place to travel: English is spoken everywhere; the people are generous, kind, and respectful; the infrastructure of travel is pretty good, especially now with the private airlines competing with Indian Airlines. Your daughter probably will be able to e-mail you from India, for, it seems, entrepreneurs all over the world are setting up links. There are also private telephone offices where she can call you and avoid the long, inconvenient visit to the general post office. Having spent a week once in an Indian hospital for a bacterial intestinal infection, I can appreciate your concern about health. Things have improved, but be careful by drinking purified water and following the advice given by earlier respondents. I'd go to India in a minute, given the chance, so Bon Voyage to your daughter and sweet dreams to you, Mama. P

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 01:58 PM
Gail White

<BR>Thanks for your reassuring words. I am feeling better about her trip. It comes up soon (end of this month). I saw a great show on the Travel Channel about India and that helped as well.

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 01:14 AM
Arne

my mother would be worried if was going to USA. But India is one of the safest <BR>places in the worl. Just stay to bottled water and look up for the traffic. That's it <BR> <BR>Arne

Old Sep 6th, 1998, 12:25 PM
Jo Harriet

I felt very safe in India even though I was the subject of great curiosity in some places. The people were lovely and I am sure that I was always more safe than just about anywhere in the US. It is important to drink and brush your teeth with bottle water (and check that the bottle you buy is sealed), and to eat cooked food. But as for anyone coming up and trying to hurt you--forget it. And I am a mother (56) with children traveling all over the world, so I know what you mean. India is a great place to send your daughter, if she has some judgment and reasonable caution about her. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 05:53 AM
Vivek Prakash

I don't think you have much to worry about at all. As long as she does the sensible things all travellers should do in India, i.e. drink only bottled water, watch what you eat, and don't stay at seedy hangouts she should be just fine. I'm a little puzzled why the nuclear tests should have any implication for travel? The test area of Pokhran is closed to the public anyways. If it is because of concern for terrorism, well, the only real threat is the Jammu-Kashmir area which most smart tourists stay out of anyway. <BR>India is not half as isolated as most westereners think; your daughter will be able to keep in regular contact with you without any hassles... most towns are littered with telephone services and the big cities now have moder cyber-cafe's and such. Travelling is easy and dirt cheap by most standards; public transport is very good and the Indian Railways network connects nearly every corner of the country with an efficient form of transit (and don't beleive those pictures you see of people on top of train coaches. Myth.). Just one small caution is con-men. They operate mainly in bigger cities, and as long as your daughter has her wits are about her, she'll be fine. Overall India as safe a place to travel as any. <BR>Regards, <BR>Vivek Prakash

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 01:59 AM
az

India is a beautiful place- it should be a trip your daughter will never forget. One tip might be useful- nearly all trains have a "ladies compartment" with no men allowed on board. Travelling on trains is usually no problem but at peak hours the trains can get so full that bodies are literally pressed against each other, with absolutely no space to breathe or move. At these times, it is advisable to travel only in the ladies compartment. In fact, all unaccompanied Indian women travel in the ladies compartment. <BR> <BR>Apart from that, your daughter should take a couple of disposable syringes with her, in case. I have seen doctors reusing needles without disinfecting- and disposable syringes can be difficult to come by. <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 1998, 08:49 AM
Gail

<BR>Good News...My daughter and her friend arrived "home" safe and sound last week. They had a wonderful time in India, met many interesting and helpful people and stayed healthy the entire trip. She is off again but this time for just a week. I'll get her to write a short update when she gets back. Thanks to all who replied. Gail