Search

Winton, NZ South Island

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winton, NZ South Island

Anyone knows what's interesting in Winton? A colleague invited us to visit his ex-classmate's farm. We're still considering since we will be having other farmstays and dunno what's there to do in Winton besides staying on the guy's farm.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Chenoa - I've never been to Winton (unless I just passed through and didn't know it), but you piqued my interest, so I looked it up.

Winton is located a short distance from Invercargill (about 30 minutes) in a rural area known for fishing, elk and deer farms. It looks pretty, and your friend's farm might be a good base from which to explore parts of Southland and the Catlins.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi Melnq8,

I triggered your curiosity again, didn't I?

I learnt as much....just farm and sawmill and a river runs beside.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Chenoa -

Yep, you made me curious and you need to stop doing that! At this rate, we'll have to visit NZ every year for the next 10, just to see every corner.

As it is, we're going back to the South Island next month for our 6th (or is it 7th?) visit and I already have plenty of ideas for a 7th (or is it 8th?) visit!

We'll be driving right through Winton on our way from Invercargill to Queenstown, so I can report back any findings if it will help.

PS - Winton also has a golf course, but I haven't been able to find out much else.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Well, it's strictly impossible to cover every corner. Just hope to make the best use of time!

I'll be on the road soon, starting at Christchurch on 19 Mar and looping back to Christchurch on 4 Apr. We have the option of travelling from Manapouri to Invercargill via Tuatapere and Riverton vs the inner route via Lumsden and Winton. High chance we'll take the coatal route since some recommended this. If time permits, we may make a detour to Winton. Have to help my colleague pass some gifts to the farm guy, Otherwise, we'll arrange him to meet us in Invercargill.

What's your travel plan for the coming trip?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 12:35 AM

This year we're spending three weeks on the South Island. We have a couple of long drive days, but we're going way south and way north, so it couldn't be avoided. We're also breaking our own "three night rule" but again, we had to in order to squeeze everything in.

Here's our itinerary:

Arrive CH - drive to Omarau - one night

Omarau to Invercargill - one night

Invercargill to Bluff - take ferry to Stewart Island - three nights

Stewart Island/Bluff to Queenstown - three nights

Queenstown to Franz Josef - three nights

Franz Josef to Takaka (this is a looong drive day) - three nights

Takaka to Mapua - three nights

Mapua to Picton - take ferry to resort in Marlborough Sounds - three nights

Marlborough Sounds/Picton to Hanmer Springs - one night

Hanmer Springs to CH for same day departure.

Looking forward to going. Need to get out of Indonesia for a while.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

I'll be waiting for your report when you come back. In the meantime, my itinerary will be as follows:

Afternoon Arrive Christchurch
Christchurch - F.J Glacier (2 nights)
F.J - Wanaka
Wanaka - Queenstown
Queenstown - Te Anau (2 nights, one day to Milford Sound)
Te Anau - Curio Bay
Curio Bay - Dunedin
Dunedin - Oamaru
Oamaru - Omarama
Omarama - Mt Cook - Lake Tekapo
Lake Tekapo - Hanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs - Punakaiki - Murchison
Murchison - Collingwood - Motueka
Motueka - Blenheim
Blenheim - Kaikoura
Kaikoura - Christchurch
Morning departure

We will be staying one night at each place unless otherwise stated, hence travel will be more hectic than yours since you actually get to rest for 3 nights at some places.

R you Indonesian or working there?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 02:02 AM

Whew! First trip to NZ?

I'm sure you'll have alot of fun and I wish you a safe journey.

We're American - DH's job has taken us to several "exotic" locations. We're 7 months into a 3-4 years assignment, which is a depressing thought at the moment. Oh well, there's always travel!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

yes, it's our first time to NZ and first attempt at self-drive F&E. Our priority is safe driving.

It's interesting how job re-location can take you to different cultures climates. Foremost, there's the language barrier. (argh!) Have you started learning Bahasa Indonesia?

Greetings from Singapore, time 9.25pm, selamat malam (good night)
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Very interested in your posting. I live in Invercargill which is 20 minutes away from Winton. I guess the only reason you would want to stay in winton is if you were to use that as a base prior to TeAnau, Manapouri etc. It is only 20 minutes from Invercargill so not too far out of your way to pop in and visit.

NZ is not large and some of your travel is only short distances. I hope you enjoy your trip, you are certainly going to see some beautiful country and I hope the weather is kind to you.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Salamat Pagi Chenoa (7:21 am here)-

That's the extent of my Bahasa - (too lazy to buckle down and study).

We go to Singapore often, mostly to do our grocery shopping - the times on your posts should have tipped me off that we're in the same time zone (well, almost).

Are you from Singapore orginally?

BTW - what do you mean by F&E?

Kiwichick can probably answer any other NZ questions you might have. Always helps to have a local chime in.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi KiwiChick,
Thanks for dropping in. There's a few earthquakes yesterday huh, including one at the Fiorland west to Te Anau. Do you experience earthquakes at Invercargill or the Catlins?

Hi Melnq8,
I'm S'porean. Born and bred here. F&E stands for Free & Easy....we use this term to describe travels taken by your own (i.e. not with tour groups). However, it's not strictly true that this kind of travelling is easy and definitely not free. Hahaha! It just means the traveller has control of his own time. [wink]
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Wasn't aware there were earthquakes yesterday. Generally very very mild and only recall a couple in Invercargill in the last few years. Just some steady shaking and no damage. Should be fine in Catlins.

Enjoy your trip. Weather is lovely at the moment so hope it continues for you but you would enjoy some rain when you do the West Coast to ensure there is plenty of water for the falls.

You will be around the tourist area at Easter so I imagine Queenstown, Wanaka and Teanau will be busy if it is during the Easter break.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Hello Kiwichick, Melnq8 (and others who are silently following this thread)

I'll be departing for NZ in another 24 hours. Will give a report when I'm back.

Kiwichick, I'm spending my Good Friday from Te-Anau to Curio Bay, and Easter Day Dunedin to Oamaru. Accomodations are all prepared so no worries about that and I trust that these places are less crowded too. Are you doing anything special over that weekend?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi KiwiChick.
...what's your opinion on Pinewood Lodge and Alpine Lodge in Queenstown? I'm making a final decision on which hostel to stay.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Safe travels Chenoa - looking forward to a report when you return.