Why is the NT so attractive?

Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Why is the NT so attractive?

Now I've lived a short while in the HT and love it. I recommend it but the reason for the question is that it appears that many fodorites are willing to travel well out of the way to get to the NT even for just a couple of days. So why?
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

I lived in the NT not the HT
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:27 PM

The wide-open spaces, the stars at night, the isolation, the scenery, the people, the total difference from life in the city. These are just some of the reasons why we've had several holidays in NT and look forward to more.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:13 AM

Ditto to Marg - but I can't really see the point of going to the NT for 2 days. And for most people that 2 days is Uluru - and many going there wouldn't even know it was in the NT.

Uluru is just another item on the "must see" tick list. Fly in, see the "Rock" and fly out.

My picks for the NT - stay longer in the centre and visit the East and West Macs. Go to Kakadu. Go to Litchfield. Camp along the Gibb River Road. As Marg says - spend those nights out in the middle of nowhere in a tent or just a groundsheet. The blackness of the sky is awesome.
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:39 AM

I too love the NT, at least parts of it. I don't know who its ad agency is these days, but they're doing a fantastic job. In Sydney, about a month ago, wandering around a wet and cold Darling Harbour with about a squillion tourists (this is summer!), NT was so well represented and so appealing. Too many other states think they can rest on their laurels and that includes Queensland where I've chosen to live, NT is out there and getting the tourists in and full marks to them.
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:07 AM

For the record, a minor correction: the Gibb River Rd is actually in Western Australia, though its eastern terminus is near the border with the NT.

Coming from the populated eastern USA, I find the NT, and outback Australia in general, fascinating: the vast open spaces, the incredible night sky, really being able to "get away from it all", not to mention spectacular scenery, wildlife and amazing geological formations.

Been to the NT four times now and would go back in a heartbeat. Still lots I have not seen. e.g., Rainbow Valley and the Devil's Marbles. I'd love to spend more time hiking in the MacDonnell Ranges (near Alice). Lawn Hill Gorge, just over the border in Queenland, is also top of the list.
Mar 5th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Michael Vartan (Alias series) ahs just finished shooting a film (ROGUE) in the NT. soem fo the scenes brings back memories, espcially of katherine Gorge.

He said he loved it so much he wants to move out here (but then they all say that)
Mar 11th, 2006, 03:13 AM

Gecko tours do a fantastic canoe adventure down the Katherine river...totally recommend it !
Mar 16th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Kym

It's the....vibe, y'know!
No seriously, I love NT but not for the Daintree, Uluru, Darwin or Alice though they are all worthy of more than one visit. I love it for the out-of-way pubs with a hundred bras hanging on the beams, camping at Victoria River, (not the 8 days at Katherine,as I have to say there isn't eight days of anything at Katherine! Broden gear box or not.)I love the cave guide who took us through on his lunch hour and kept us mightily entertained '"cause it's a pretty slack day anyway'. I love the way Katherine Gorge guide handed over to the retired guide on our boatride "cause he's been doing it for years and even though he's retired now, he's visiting for the day'. And the stories he had to tell! What a treat! I love camping at a lonely billabong and waking up to the screech of baby corellas in the tree overhanging the water. The smell of woodsmoke and a cup of tea. I love the warmth of the road when you haven't seen a car for an hour and the next one going by will lift his hand in greeting as he passes. I love the dry endless vistas of bush and scrub (in the dry) I love the independant spirit of place that inhabits the soul of the Northern Territory. You'll nevernever know if you nevernever go.
Mar 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Kym, I think I might want to visit, If only you had scripted the new commercial ( "bloody hell").