Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Why is Millenium so cheap?Where to stay in Sydney with a child.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:32 PM
Nin

Hi everybody!<BR>I just love this board!People here honestly try to help others out.....kinda makes me wish life in the real world was a fodors board !lol<BR>Anyways, I was wondering if anybody could help me out on where to stay in Sydney with a child(Near shopping malls).It seems like there's something fishy with the Millenium hotel.For something 4 star why is it the cheapest on most travel sites!?Could it be that it's in a seedy area like King's Cross?Or is it in a place filled with nightclubs bars ...etc.<BR>Are there any really good furnished apartments that are safe at the same time and affordable?<BR>Thanks everyone!!!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:41 PM
Mina

Hi Nin...<BR><BR>Can't help you with the hotel, as I know nothing about it. What's your budget? Maybe then we can help you out more.<BR><BR>Most people will suggest that hotels in the Rocks area. How long are you staying?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 03:54 PM
Prue

Nin,<BR>We stayed at the Millennium last weekend and it is an excellent Hotel.<BR>However, it is in Kings Cross and most people on this Board will warn you about staying in that area. We come from rural Australia and it suits our needs perfectly. <BR>Having said that, it would not be a good place to stay with a child and I am sure you can do better.<BR>There are many furnished apartments and when we know more as to what your budget is I am sure someone will come up with something suitable.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 04:17 PM
Alan

Hi, Nin!<BR>Yes, the above posters are right about the Millennium.... while it's certainly around shops, it's an adults-only part of town, especially after dark, so I think that you could do much better. I don't know what your budget is, but if you're looking for hotels in the Millennium's range and near shops, you might like the Park Regis, at 27 Park St; it's opposite Hyde Park, two blocks from the main shopping mall (Pitt St Mall), and close to the subway at Town Hall. I hear it's not too expensive, either. If you find, however, that it's out of your price range, write again and I can suggest cheaper (such as that great old stanby the Criterion, where, however, you share a bath.)

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:00 PM
Nin

Hi Mina, Prue & Alan!<BR>Thanks for your replies.I plan on spending about 2 weeks in Sydney...is that too much?My budget is around 170-&gt;200 AUD a night.<BR>Some of the hotels that seem like bargains are:<BR> 1.Carlton Crest 120<BR> 2.4 points Sheraton 175<BR>3.Wentworth 176 (though it seems theyre really old)<BR>4.Pentura 100<BR>5.Pacific International 148<BR>6.ParkRoyal 185<BR>7.Southern Cross on Harbour 167<BR>8.Stafford 160<BR>As you can see i'm quite confused!I guess to me cleanliness is my top priority more than swimming pools, spas....etc<BR>Once again thanks for your help <BR>NIN<BR><BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:05 PM
Nin

BTW Mina ,<BR>Though I may seem ignorant, what makes you prefer the Rocks to other areas such as Darling Harbour or the city center?<BR>PS I forgot to add "security" along with cleanliness on the above post <BR>NIN<BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:08 PM
Nin

BTW Mina ,<BR>Though I may seem ignorant, what makes you prefer the Rocks to other areas such as Darling Harbour or the city center?<BR>PS I forgot to add "security" along with cleanliness on the above post <BR>NIN<BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:06 PM
Nin

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:08 PM
NIN

Why does it keep posting my message ?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:33 PM
NIN

Why does it keep posting my message ?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:28 AM
Mina

It probably keeps posting your message so we make sure to answer! ;-)<BR><BR>The Rocks is a major tourist area. It's nice, and pretty safe. It's also right by the Circular Quay...the hub for all the ferries. The bridgeclimb originates from here as well.<BR><BR>I prefer the Rocks because while touristy, it was different from what I could see in L.A. There is also a historical element to it. <BR><BR>Darling Harbour was of no interest to me because it was built for the purposes of tourists. I can see IMAX theaters and chain restaurants here at home! Some people love it, but I was not enamored by it at all. <BR><BR>Downtown may be of interest to you, but I didn't explore it in depth.<BR><BR>I don't know the hotels you mentioned...but are you looking for apartment style hotels (i.e. kitchen, etc?). If it's not important, for your budget, you could probably stay at many a hotel in the Rocks area. The Russell Hotel (unbeatable location) and the Sydney B&B (where I stayed) would be within your price range. I never felt unsafe in the Rocks area. Too many tourists milling about!<BR><BR>Alan, I think is our local Sydney expert...perhaps he can help you further.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:21 AM
Alan

Hi Nin and Mina!<BR>Well, thank you for the compliment, Mina, but really you have said it all. I, too, prefer the Rocks area to Darling Harbour, which is really quite out of the way... until a few years ago it was never-never land, and then the NSW govt decided to "reclaim" it, and that, of course, meant letting all the big-name hotels build around the perimeter. The only time it's really interesting is when there's a special event there, such as Carnivale in September/October. The Rocks, on the other hand, is close to everything you want to see, and it's REAL Sydney.... this is where the original colonial buildings still hang on. It's the equivalent of the "old quarter" in European cities.<BR>Your list of hotels is a formidable one, and, of course, everyone has his or her own favourites of the group. I go with Mina... the Russell is the no-expense-spared best place to stay when you come to Sydney, as long as you don't want to gaze out the window at a view. It was built in the days when three storeys was a skyscraper and they had the absolute pick of sites. You don't look at a view.. you ARE the view.<BR>Anyway, of the hotels you mentioned I have actually stayed in none, so all I can judge is where they are, not what they are like inside. For that reason, I don't think the Pentura is a bargain. It's in a dark and gloomy part of Pitt Street, really very close to the cinema area, but just far enough away to be dead at night, and it doesn't even look like a safe area... and that's saying something, because Sydney is really a very safe city. The Carlton Crest is close to Chinatown, and quite close also to Sydney Terminal Station, but it's on the opposite end of town to where the beauty of Sydney lies, so I don't think I would take that either, if you're talking two weeks. The only reason to recommend it is if you plan to do a lot of train trips to inland NSW, as you can be on the platform in five minutes.<BR>My understanding of the Pacific International is that it offers apartments with kitchenette, etc, so it might be a goer at the price you quoted, even though Wentworth Avenue is not a nice part of Sydney, either... just as far from the water as the Carlton Crest, but on the other, even more seedy, side of Sydney Terminal Station. I think the Stafford is apartments, too, and it's down near the Rocks in Harrington Street.... a quiet little street with a lot of old houses converted into office buildings, a bit on the lonely side at night, but close to what you will enjoy. This would be the cheapest of your suggestions that I would choose, if I had a child. As for Southern Cross "on the harbour"... at first I laughed, but then I thought, "better not, maybe there IS another hotel called the Southern Cross and it IS on the harbour!" But if it's the one in Goulburn Street, which is the only hotel of that name that I know, then to promote it as "on the harbour" is quite a fudge. Check the address before you book, won't you? <BR>The others are getting up in price, in my opinion, and if you are going to go that high, you should really look at the Russell. But don't give up on the Park Regis before you check the rates... you did say "near shopping malls", and this one has that going for it more than any of the others... and, being near Hyde Park and the Australian Museum, it will be easy for you to find something to do which is appealing to children.<BR>Sorry if I have poured cold water on so many of your choices... maybe they are great hotels inside, and other posters can recommend them to you. Whatever you choose, good luck! Two weeks is quite a long time for a small city like Sydney... I hope you will get out of the city for a while and see some of the country, too... a couple of days in the Blue Mountains, maybe a visit to Jenolan Caves, and a day or two in Canberra, the nation's capital.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:06 PM
Sheldon

How old is your child that is accompanying you? There aren't many places in the city itself for kids. I brought my 4-year-old to the only two toy departments i could find (Grace Bros and a shop on the second floor of Mid-city. There's also a small one at Harbourside SC but thats abit far-off. Maybe you could space out your stays to different places like Manly where you could bring your child to the beach for some play time. <BR><BR>I stayed at Pacific International Suites with the kitchenette and everything and its about two streets away from George Street where you get most of the buses going to Circular Quay and, on the other direction, away to the suburbs.