Reload this Page >

Which resort out of four?--Fiji

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:42 PM
Anita

My husband and I will be staying a week in Fiji and a week in Cairns in 2003. We will be exhanging our timeshare through Interval International for one week in Fiji. We have the following four choices:1. WorldMark at Denarau Island(a five star through Interval International)--2. Pacific Palms Estate at Pacific Harbour, Viti Levu island(another five star). It's under constuction or renovatin but I imagine should be done by 2003. Could mean limited occupancies though.--3. Malolo Lailai Lagoon Resort on Malololailai Island(says limited exchange activity).---and 4. Lako Mai Rssort on Malolo Island(also, limited exchange activity).<BR><BR>Has anyone stayed at any of the above resorts? Is there good snorkeling near by and other land interests? Were you pleased with the accomodations and amenities, etc.? --I have to admit that the WorldMark sounded really nice from the description I read about it, but we're more concerned with the whole Fiji experience and wonderful snorkeling. Would love to hear from you. Thanks!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:55 PM
A. Fijian

If you're truly "more concerned with the whole Fiji experience" don't bother with those huge impersonal places.<BR><BR>Lokk for a small resort run by Fijians and learn what Fiji's really about.<BR><BR>Hint-it ain't time shares (!)

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 06:56 AM
Anita

Hello A. Fijan.---I certainly don't mean to insult you, but for us and many people investing in a timeshare exchange is an economical way of seeing the world and experiencing other cultures and having some fun. I'm willing to be open minded to your culture and way of life. Why don't you do the same for us?--Anyone else out there?

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 08:28 PM
A.Fijian

"an economical way of seeing the world and experiencing other cultures and having some fun."<BR><BR>That's exactly what you'd be doing by staying in a Fijian-owned resort.<BR><BR>What 'Fijian culture' would you be exposed to in a gated community?<BR><BR>What Fijian culture do you think wil be on display?<BR><BR>Dancing at 6???<BR>Complete with costumed Darkies just a shuckin' and a jivin'?<BR><BR>Oh and make sure that the Satellite TV is operational so you can catch the latest CNN propaganda!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:20 AM
Anita

"...we're more concerned with the whole Fiji experience and wonderful snorkeling."--Enough said. Am looking forward to meeting the friendly Fijians without an attitude!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:51 PM
brandi

I have been to Fiji, and the people there are wonderful. I personally chose to stay at smaller backpacker resorts in the Yasawas where I could go to the village, snorkel, not worry about touristy things. BUT there is no reason why somebody can't stay in a larger resort and still get out and about...<BR>Brandi

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:24 PM
Anita

Thanks, Brandi. Nice to hear from you!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 11:07 PM
cherie

Hi there<BR>I have travelled to Fiji several times and were married in Fiji.<BR>I have seen the Worldmark at Denarau, and in my opionion it could be a resort any where and you would not get the Fiji atmosphere.We stayed at musket cove resort and had a good look at the timeshare resort at Malalolailai and swam in their pool......it was nice and would give you a much more fijian experence than you would get at worldmark. You could also use the musket cove resort facilities which were nice................BUT the sea was tidal at Malololailai which was a bit of a bummer....I dont know anything about the time share on Malolo island but the resort on that island was just great, lovely location and swimming and snorkelling...<BR>Pacific harbour is on the rainly side of the island which is not nearly as good so i would stear clear of that one.<BR>In my opionion I would check out the Malolo or Malololailai options<BR>and for location, not knowing anything about the resort on Malolo I would choose Malolo.<BR>If I can help any futher email me;<BR>[email protected]

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 11:08 PM
cherie

Hi there<BR>I have travelled to Fiji several times and were married in Fiji.<BR>I have seen the Worldmark at Denarau, and in my opionion it could be a resort any where and you would not get the Fiji atmosphere.We stayed at musket cove resort and had a good look at the timeshare resort at Malalolailai and swam in their pool......it was nice and would give you a much more fijian experence than you would get at worldmark. You could also use the musket cove resort facilities which were nice................BUT the sea was tidal at Malololailai which was a bit of a bummer....I dont know anything about the time share on Malolo island but the resort on that island was just great, lovely location and swimming and snorkelling...<BR>Pacific harbour is on the rainly side of the island which is not nearly as good so i would stear clear of that one.<BR>In my opionion I would check out the Malolo or Malololailai options<BR>and for location, not knowing anything about the resort on Malolo I would choose Malolo.<BR>If I can help any futher email me;<BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Lina

Hi Anita-we stayed for 3 weeks in Fiji and had 5 days at Worldmark in Dec 2001 and also rented a house on the Coral Coast & got to know the locals who were very charming.Anyway Worldmark is delicious and you don't need to slum it to enjoy Fiji! It's about your attitude & whether you're friendly and open to new experiences not where you lay your head. I love luxury and I also camp out and we loved Fiji and its people so much that we're returning in May. Going to Oarsmans (backpacker standard). Go ahead and go with your guts and enjoy Worldmark it is beautiful but beach is pretty awful. Try Matamanoa or Vomo for an island experience. We stayed at Tokoriki and it did not meet our expectations. Staff were ambivalent and food pretty ordinary-same menu for 7 days-boring! Good luck and get out there and meet the locals-some are great fun and talk honestly about Fiji's problems which were not evident in Dec 2001. Have a ball!!!

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Anita

Thank you, Cherie and Lena, for your responses. I was getting so discouraged about finding info. on our exchange resorts that I started looking into spending our second or third week in N. Zealand instead of Fiji. But decided we definitely need more time for N. Zealand and want to travel around more there instead of staying solely in one place, so I'm back to Fiji again! Besides, that sunshine and snorkeling keeps luring me! <BR> Still can find little info. on the two resorts I'm most interested in: Lako Mai Resort on Malolo Island and Malolo Lailai Lagoon Resort on Malololailai Island. I've read that Malolo Island has better snorkling and beaches, so am gearing more that way. The II directory does say limited exchange though for both these resorts, so hope we can get in.<BR> Does anyone out there know how "secluded" Lako Mai Resort is from other things on the island?--Fijian happenings, restaurants, etc. Is snorkeling really good right off shore or must you take a dive boat out for the great snorkeling?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Sarah

Hi there,<BR><BR>I know this is an old posting, but I also have the opportunity to use timeshare (not mine, but my sis-in-laws) and these are the places that is in the RCI catalogue. They don't give a star rating and they don't give much info on diving etc.<BR>Any ideas?<BR>Sarah