where to stay in the Nelson area?

Old May 15th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to stay in the Nelson area?

We are 2 families of 4 each ( 2 adults and 2 kids). We will be in the Nelson area for 4 nights partly to get ready for the Abel Tasman walk but also to enjoy the area - So where would be the best place to base ourselves? And any suggestions for accommodation? We will rent a car on flying into Nelson
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
If Abel Tasman is your main focus, you might consider staying near Motueka, which is a short drive from Marahau, the beginning of the Abel Tasman Track. Marahau itself is also a possibility, but it's a small area and you might find yourself driving into Motueka for meals, etc. Kaiteriteri is also a great choice if you're interested in staying near a beach - lots of cottages, homes and B&B's in the area.

Takaka is also a possibility, but it's on the other side of Takaka Hill, a steep, narrow, winding road - if you plan to start your walk at Marahau, you'll end up near Takaka as that's where the track ends. If you're planning to walk Abel Tasman from the opposite end (Takaka side), the Takaka area would be a good choice.

My personal favorite is to stay between Nelson and Motueka - we've stayed in a great little cottage in Tasman (30 minutes from Nelson) a nice B&B in Riwaka near Mouteka and we've also stayed at a villa in Mapua, which is along Ruby Bay.

By staying in between Nelson and Motueka, you're close to Abel Tasman, both Nelson and Motueka and you're close to some good restaurants and lots of wonderful wineries.

I have a whole list of accommodation suggestions at home, but I'm currently half way across the world, so can't help much.

You might consider Maple Grove Cottages - two self contained cottages in Upper Moutere between Nelson and Motueka. We've booked there for August, but haven't yet stayed, but it looks perfect for our upcoming trip.

Have fun!
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Is it possible to stay one place in the "middle" to see both the Abel Tasman park- just short hikes and also visit some wineries near Nelson and south of there? Perhaps it would be better to move after the park and be closer to visit the wineries.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM

zinfanatic -

Sorry if I made it sound more complicated than it is - these areas aren't all that far apart. Nelson is about an hour's drive from Abel Tasman (Marahau) and Motueka is about 20 minutes or so from Marahau. Kaiteriteri (beach)is about a 10-15 minute drive from Marahau.

We like to base ourselves midway between Nelson and Abel Tasman (Ruby Bay, Tasman, Mapua, or Upper Moutere - all in wine country) for the very reason you mention - easy access to Nelson, the wineries and Abel Tasman.

BTW - Marahau is the gateway to Abel Tasman - it's where the water taxis depart from, where the track begins (it ends on the Golden Bay side) and there is some lodging there, but limited services (food, gas, etc).

Old May 16th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info - we're not so interested in wineries - I think the kids would be bored. i 'll check out the places closer to the start of the walk - Kaikerikeri and Motueka
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Melnq8- I had orginally thought we would like to stay two places- one near Abel and one near Blenheim in the wine country south of Nelson. But if you think we can stay one place between Nelson and the park and still do the wine country well, that would be easier than moving around so much. As it is we will be moving quite a bit in our month long road trip of NZ. We are very interested in wine and nature!Thank you Melnq8 for your help.
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM

lucrefamily -

Both the kids and adults might enjoy the WOW complex in Nelson -

www.worldofwearableart.com/

zinfanatic -

The wine country I'm referring to is near Nelson. Blenheim is further away and personally, I wouldn't base myself in the Nelson area to see Blenheim. There are many nice wineries in the areas I mentioned above and they are all close to Nelson. If you also want to visit Blenheim (which is also worth a visit), suggest you stay there AND in the Nelson/Abel Tasman area as you originally planned.

Old May 16th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Melnq8, Thank you so much for your help and quick reply. I have always found people on this board to be so willing to help and share info.ZIN
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Zin -

Happy to help. Enjoy your trip and all those wonderful wineries (doubt you'll find any Zin - great Sauvignon Blanc though).
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:52 AM

Hi Melnq8 & Lucrefamily - If you end up staying at Maple Grove Cottages please try to say hi from Connie & family in Canada (say we're the ones who were travelling for six months a few years ago and I think they'll remember).

Melnq8, I think you picked up on Maple Grove cottages from an earlier post of mine.

Also, just remembered there is a neat pick your own berry place very close to the cottages if it's still open. You have to cross a little suspension bridge over a river by foot to get there - it's a neat little thing to do with great and very inexpensive berries!

Enjoy.
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Conny -

Yes, I believe I did get the tip on Maple Grove Cottages from you - very much looking forward to our stay there.

Appreciate the tip on the berry farm too, as we love berries, but we'll be there in August - maybe next time!