Search

where to stay in kakadu?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to stay in kakadu?

(my apologies if this is a duplicate. I thought I'd posted correctly, but my message never showed up.)
I'm planning a trip to Kakadu in late May, and am having an awful time deciding where to stay for two nights. Can anyone compare the Kakadu Resort (now operated by Aurora) to the Holiday Inn in Jabiru? They are about 50Kms apart, and I'd like to pick the one offering me the easiest access to hiking trails and park offerings.
This would be a two night stay, if that makes a difference. Price doesn't matter, it's about the same at each.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Just bumping this up---in case anyone wants to help with this one.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Will you have wheels? Í mean will you have your own transport to take you to the hiking trails, etc. If you do then I guess it's up to you to get a good map and decide where you want to go - and then you can work out which is the better hotel location.

But to be honest, and I usually tend toward the independent way of travelling, Kakadu is one of those places where you will NOT get the best experience by doing your own thing.

Everything is different - the plants, the animals. You won't even see the animals unless you are with someone who is used to seeing them. And without a local companion you will learn nothing of the meaning of the land.

I would strongly recommend joining a tour - and I don't mean a bus tour. There are companies offering guided visits for very small groups. With or without camping. Budget or lux. And there is nothing like spending a night out in Kakadu under the stars. If you are a hiker you will surely know what I'm trying to say.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Alice13: Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question! I do appreciate it.

I don't mind taking hikes with groups, or being part of a group, but I really don't want to be part of an organized tour for the hotel part of the stay, or commit to a tour.
(Mainly because I'm not sure of my exact timing.) It's easier to change a hotel reservation, as opposed to a group reservation.

So, if anyone can tell me the pro's or con's of either place, I'd appreciate it.

And yes, I will have transport.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:32 PM

Is the holiday in in Jabiru the crocodile looking hotel? If so I'd stay there just because it looks nice..
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:52 PM

The Kakadu resort at the east end of the park is a long drive from the other sites, so if you want to do the Yellow River cruise and see the art sites, you'll drive a lot. We stayed at the Kakadu Lodge in Jabiru (not the crocodile one) and had a great Australian experience. We stayed in the "deluxe" room which was what we in the US call a portable, but it had a servicable double bed and bunk beds, a little kitchenette and a bathroom, and AC, so we didn't need luxury. The good part about it was location, conveniently located for a Yellow river cruise and the art sites at Ubir and Nurlangi (sp). Also, the ranger talks at night, with slides shown on the side of a building. Also the many Aussies camping and enjoying the pool and outdoor bar/restaurant who were willing to chat with a couple of friendly Americans, and the awesome stars. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sally
p.s. Please note--if you rent a car at Darwin, you are NOT covered for insurance if you drive after dark (or before sunrise) because of the many critters who come out at night.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:40 PM

There is a motel at Cooinda (adjacent to Yellow Waters) but I would recommend you stay at Jabiru (the crocodile motel)as it is more central. From there you can easily drive to the Yellow Waters cruise, the cruise on the East Alligator river, the visitors' centre and the rock art sites. You can quite easily see these areas with a family sedan
You could then take a 4WD to the more inaccessible areas (Jim Jim Falls for example).
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:23 PM

coolcreek,

If you are interested in the Yellow Water tour, The best trip is at dawn so I would recommend staying at the lodge at Cooinda. This trip was great and we are not birders.

In Jaibiru we stayed at Lakeview Park, which is owned by a local aboriginal band. We had a tented cabin w/ a detached private bath. It was pretty cool and was only about $85/ night since we wonly slept there ( first week in May) we didn't miss AC. Its across the road from th Jabiru Social Club where we became guest memebers and ate very well for about $14pp for dinner.

We booked a Lord's day long trip to Arnhemland and would highly recommend this we saw rock art in much better condition than at sites in Kakadu. Lords is the only group that does this as Seb Lord grew up in Oenpelli.

At Cooinda Lodge we booked a noon to early evening trip w/ Sean and Paratty a local aboriginal lady who is marriedto the foreman of the local band's buffalo farm. Absolutely fascinating: bush tucker , we ate grubs and great scenery.

Thye visitor center at Jabiru is very helpful and a lovely NP building. Some of our friends who we will not name said " Kaka don't" we say Kakadu.

Andrew David

PS try to catch the Mindle Beach night market in Darwin
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very, very much. I do appreciate all the time spent on these very complete answers! You've made the choosing a bit easier. I'll let you know what I decide, and then post a report upon my return.

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
DJE

coolcreek,

Have just read your question and have no problems in recommending the Holiday Inn ( croccodile hotel ) in Jabiru. We had our own car and found that the location was quite central for our day excursions. The rooms are comfortable and the food in the restaurant was fine, so overall no complaints. Stayed there in May '04.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DJE. I'd love to hear about your visit to Kakadu, if you feel like sharing.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM
DJE

Coolcreek,

If you click on my name and scroll down to no.49 you can read an overview of our last trip to Australia in '04.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks DJE. I KNEW there had to be a way to search by name, and figured it out seconds before I found your answer to my trip report request.

Much appreciated.