Where to elope in the pacific?

Jan 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Where to elope in the pacific?

My fiance and I plan to elope, just the 2 of us, in May 2008. We will be living on Oahu, so it would ideally be a place that isn't too long of a flight. We will have about 10 days. Since we don't want to deal with the paperwork with a foreign marriage, we will just get a marriage license in the US before we go. My ideal place would've been Santorini with the cliffs and water, but we don't want to travel such a long distance. Does anyone have any suggestions for a beautiful place, preferably on a cliff overlooking the water? It's more of a symbolic ceremony between us, so there's no need for a wedding planner or officiant. My fiance likes to scuba dive and snorkel, but I don't like being in the water. I like nature, hiking, and photography. Thanks!
Jan 19th, 2008, 02:52 AM

Hey, have you considered Sydney?

There is a place called Manly that has all of your requirements. You can exchange your vows at a place called North Head which has amazing views of Sydney Harbour. Once that's done, your hubby can go scuba diving or surfing at Manly beach, while you can go for a good and easy bushwalk.

Let me know if this appeals, if so, I can give you more information.
Jan 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. No, I hadn't thought much of Sydney, but it does seem like an ideal place to use as a base. Are there many good day trips from the area? Is it crowded on North Head? From looking on the internet, it seems like North Head is part of a national park? I would prefer a quiet, intimate setting. We want to get dressed up in the white dress and tux and have our wedding photos done also. Neither one of us has been to Australia. I visited the South Island of New Zealand with another friend a couple of years ago and it was one of my favorite trips. The scenery was amazing and it wasn't crowded. I hadn't thought much about going back to NZ so soon, but the thought of getting married on top of a glacier is appealing (don't know if fiance would agree though!). He wants something unique. Does anyone have any unusual or adventurous locations?
Jan 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM

There's several companies who can organise weddings on the Great Barrier Reef, either on boat or a deserted sand cay, or even underwater with scuba tanks. Which at least may appeal to your fiance, if not you!

Check out Thala Resort in north Queensland - it has the cliff (though not as dramatic as Santorini), it has the Coral Sea and its beach is practically deserted. Nearby scuba on Great Barrier Reef from Port Douglas for your husband; lots of wildlife and nature on site for you. www.thalabeach.com.au

Jan 20th, 2008, 05:17 PM

I've never been there (but would love to go) how about Lord Howe Island?

Jan 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Lord Howe Island is beautiful, very small but very special. Its geography is dramatic. It is a world heritage site and the numbers of tourists are tightly controlled so the island is serene. If I were contemplating a honeymoon on Lord Howe, I would book into Capella Lodge and ask for a room with a view of Mt. Gower. (I stayed in two different places on Lord Howe and Capella Lodge was one of them.) The island has beautiful beaches, good hiking, opportunities for wildlife viewing (nice birds), and good snorkeling (actually if you go to Ned's Beach, you won't even need to snorkel but just walk around the waters close to shore). The only problem is in May it can be a little cold; the water can be chilly, so I don't think this would be a good choice for a May honeymoon/elopement. Plus, you'll have to fly to from mainland Australia to Lord Howe, so this adds to your expenses and travel time.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:46 AM

I agree Northern Queensland would be a great choice, and May is an ideal time to go there. You can go up to the Daintree Rainforest, which is so lush, wild and green. You will enjoy hiking through it. Your fiance/husband can go out to the Barrier Reef to scuba dive as a day trip. North Queensland is also a good place to learn about Aboriginal culture. You can probably comfortably spend a week in the area and still have two days for Sydney.